HI From Hastings New Zealand

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Chrisnz
Level 2
Level 2

HI From Hastings New Zealand

Post by Chrisnz »

Hi from a cold winter frosty morning in NZ country!
I'm finding my way back to an 'ol favorite' Linux Mint 12. I've been using Linux OS's for nearly 8yrs and love it.
My last working OS was Ubnuntu Unity and this really wasnt so great for me. I found it slowed my PC down and the unity bar was not always great to find stuff; slow but good idea. For me my deskspace was not a critical issue. Having lost the (alt+tab) command to flick between windows/programs open, was a compiz combind setting, and system still would not run in later Linux versions for some reason? :?

Why I use Linux?
Stability, virus issues and constant cost of MS versions. 'Backward compatibily' issues. Very little use for gaming. Speed great on older PC's. Did it affect my line of work? Not really. I'm a woodwork buff and use spreadsheeting, word processing and cutting optimisation programs (work under Wine quite well). Databases ... Although I cut my teeth on MS Access, still learning with Linux alternatives and having since moved away from alot of that kind of work have little need now, so a spreadsheet does me well. Finiancial packages... Used Quicken under Windows then moved to GNUcash and others, no drama.

Still learning so not too much of a 'geek techy' at my age now (50+) although have picked up a few tips along the way. 8)

Cheers and "see" you around here somewhere?

Chris

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: HI From Hastings New Zealand

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome Chris. Glad you decided to join us here.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

Still learning so not too much of a 'geek techy' at my age now (50+)
quite young by some standards then

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Chris, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! Sounds like you are in control of your computing :wink:

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews). You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to Linux Mint! If you like stability, consider experiencing the Debian-based edition of Linux Mint sometime. I know I would enjoy reading your feedback.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Introduce yourself”