Hey! ...from the Oregon Coast

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Hey! ...from the Oregon Coast

Post by jaderiver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Hello Mints...

Today I joined the community because our PC/Julia is having a technical difficulty, and I wanted the problem posted. But!... I have been a Linux Mint fan ever since my husband's PC/Windows crashed big time 2009. He installed Julia and sold me on Mint, banking on the fact my favorite color is green. He was absolutely right. I explored other distros before committing to Mint, but the green elegance captured me. This morning I ordered Maya MATE for my ASUS eNotebook. Can hardly wait.

Having had an award-winning career as a film and television editor, the first computers I used were MACs, as they were on the edge of using digital graphical applications for sound and moving picture editing -- this digital use following the stages of editing actual film, and then using linear tape computers to cut pictures. The original communal MAC philosophy no longer holds, and Microsoft never had a communal philosophy. I know, because one year, while still a Macophile, I did a stint as tech support for Microsoft.

All this to say, I am so happy to join the Linux Mint community. Looking forward to reading more posts from all over the world.

Thank you, Mint people, for developing such a lovely, elegant OS system.

jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 18.2 MATE Sonya dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Hey! ...from the Oregon Coast

Post by The-Wizard » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:46 am

a bit late but none the less

Welcome to the |Mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 am

Welcome to the Mint Forums jaderiver. This welcome comes all the way from the Willamette Valley. :lol:
Peppermint OS 9

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:22 am

Hello from Ohio.
I hope to also be in/from the Willamette Valley this time next year!

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaderiver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 am

The-Wizard wrote:a bit late but none the less

Welcome to the |Mint family forums

wizard
Yes, my apologies didn't join earlier, The-Wizard. My husband is the one who uses Julia on an older IBM PC and I can't speak for him, but I had been using a nearly 20-year-old PowerMAC until recently and only purchased my ASUS laptop in recent months, with the intention of using with a Linux OS. That intention, plus the times I am asked to "tech" our Julia, are the reasons I have been perusing Mint forums. My contributions, technically, would not have been earthshaking up to this point, as my Mint and Linux OS knowhow is very limited at this point.

Anyway, very excited to join this green community. I look forward to the challenges of learning Linux, Mint and Mate and hopefully will be able to contribute and help others down the road.

Thank you for welcomes. Great to see such an experienced Minter up the road in the Willamette Valley.
(Now, if only I can resolve Julia's dialup issue!) :?

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

diont think it will be a serious mint problem, more likely a BCM wireless driver problem [had the same on my old travelmate which granddaughter uses] in the end i purchased a dongle which uses a different driver [im a hardware man not a software man]
but if your having difficulties then the Mint search at the top of the page probably already has the answer to your problem

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi jaderiver, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint :wink:

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaderiver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:50 pm

We use dialup at home, not wireless, Wizard. If you have time to read my rather lengthy post (it reads fast!) about the issue/problem, see:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=106259

I will continue to peruse networking posts and try other things solutions. For example, perhaps I need to examine whether there is /etc/resolv.conf file.

Please tell me what a "dongle" is? I am guessing like a "blackbox" which can toggle between drives?

Thank you very much.

and... really wanted to thank xenopeek for providing terminal commands e.g. man; whatis; apropos ...which will help us understand... terminal commands (this message a repeat from the "Hello from Sweden" introduction chain).

Appreciatively,
jaderiver
Last edited by jaderiver on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forums!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Introduce yourself”