Hello from the woods

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
vermontbear
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from the woods

Post by vermontbear » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 am

I have worked with Ubuntu since Dapper. Really forged into the OS with Hardy
and Lucid (my current fully-configured system). Avoided Meerkat, Narwhal, Ocelot.

Since our friends at Canonical have decided Unity is the greatest thing since sliced
bread and since they are going to nuke everyone who thinks differently, I have been
testing various setups and derivatives on "throwaway" hard disks.

I had played around with Ubuntu 12.04/Mate 1.2 for approximately 2 months, had it almost
there, but I tried to remove the leftover vesitges of Unity and killed the machine.

Oh well.

I have now two drives testing, one with Mint 13 Cinnamon, the other with Mint 13 Mate.
Cinnamon is probably what I would recommend to people who want Linux but don't want a
phone OS.

Except for a few bugs, Mate is working well enough for me to think I might just stay
with it for the long haul.

Bug summary. 1) The mate-screensaver seems to reset the nVidia color settings every
time you leave the nVidia settings manager. This was a bug in the gnome-screensaver from
roughtly 2006 on, but the gnome-screensaver you could remove. Trying to remove
mate-screensaver seems to want to take away the whole desktop environment, lock, stock and
screensaver, with it. 2) All versions and derivatives of Ubuntu 12.04 I've tested so far
seem not to allow system event sounds to play from within XP on Virtualbox. Yes, all the
event sounds play for a half-second, then quit. Great for "ding," but not great for longer
amusemnets. 3) Marco seems periodically to kill off Emerald Themes, but that can be kludged
simply by running "emerald --replace" in a terminal window and keeping it open.

Otherwise, it's nice to find a community of Linux people who are working in the same
direction as I. I suspect if we all keep going, Mint will evolve into the best
Ubuntu alternative around. Heck. It already is.

Thanks for the good work.
Asus M2N32-SLIDeluxe, AM2-7200+, nVidia 9800GX2, 4 x 2000 DDR2 - still solid!
Mint 18.1 - 64 ... and a bunch other VMs.

HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hello from the woods

Post by HughT » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

hi vermontbear, welcome to the forum. With reference to bug summary point 2, is there any reason for running in Vitualbox? Was that simply for experimentation? I'd expect that problem to disappear once you'd installed instead of, or alongside XP.
regards
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:50 am

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi vermontbear, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! For the record, I slice my own bread :P

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and if the odds turn and you favour Cinnamon, the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint :wink:

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Welcome to the forums!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Introduce yourself”