Hello all! New to Linux Mint and happy.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jaidyn

Hello all! New to Linux Mint and happy.

Post by Jaidyn »

Hi everyone! My name is Jaidyn and I am a long time Linux fan but due to my old computer dying on me, I have been borrowing another computer from my parents which was a Windows 7 machine. Well I finally was given an older Dell Vostro 1500 with a 1.4Ghz Dual Core and 3 GB of RAM. Not the best out there but I like it. Well I came across Linux Mint a few years ago and LOVED it. Well I knew with my "new" computer, I had to have it back. Needless to say I was a bit shocked at all the varieties. Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and KDE.

Well I have never been a fan of KDE. It has some nifty features, but it was just WAY more than I needed. So I decided to make Live versions of the other three. My favorites were certainly Cinnamon and Xfce. I am a minimalist and even if I had some modern, brand new beast of a computer, I would still be a minimalist so the concept of Xfce was very appealing. I commit to trying out Xfce. I love it. :-D

And then I discovered LXDE. I agree with the common criticism that it doesn't seem as polished or finished as Xfce, but I really enjoy it and my computer is screaming fast. I can easily run all of the distros, so my hardware really isn't an issue. But LXDE just makes me feel happy. So I installed the Xfce version, installed LXDE and am running that DE. I have never been happier. I customized to look how I want, got what couple programs I needed installed (Chromium and Skype) and seriously, this new OS is the best I have ever run.

My apologies for the long spiel but I am so grateful for Linux Mint and this community, the options given and especially having 12.04 (all versions) as LTS. I have already convinced my family and some friends to give Mint a try and they are enjoying it just as much as I am.

Thank you. <3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caerolle

Re: Hello all! New to Linux Mint and happy.

Post by caerolle »

Hi jaidyn!

Welcome to the Mint Forums, and to Linux Mint!

I am glad you are enjoying Mint! I use Xfce myself in my Mint set-up, and love the balance between simplicity and beauty (well, it's pretty to me, anyway!). However, I can understand your attraction to LXDE, too. I spend most of my time using Arch Linux with only Openbox and lot of LXDE programs, like the PCManFM file manager. I love the simple, basic system.

Enjoy your new Mint system!

caerolle :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forum :mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Jaidyn, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas). You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Jaidyn

Post by Jaidyn »

Thank you to everyone for the very kind and warm welcomes. :-) I have been browsing the community here and just loving every bit of it and taking in all that I can.

I do have one minor question which I can't seem to find an answer to though. This is not a thing I am having trouble with really, so I don't need trouble-shooting or anything. But I was curious about the LXDE resource monitor you can add to the panel vs the Task Manager. When the Task Manager is iconified by the clock and I hover over it, it is showing 11% mem usuage. But the resource monitor is showing 18% mem usuage. I am going to go on a limb and guess that the Task Manager is likely the more accurate of the two, I am just wondering why the discrepancy? If noone knows, I am not going to lose any sleep over it, I was just curious.

Thank you again for everything and I will be around learning all I can. <3

Return to “Introduce Yourself”