Mint is great, Xfce surprising useful

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Mint is great, Xfce surprising useful

Post by benali72 »

I support a number of PCs and my users didn't like Ubuntu's change to Unity. So we tried out Mint 13 (supported until 2017, yea!). I started out with Mate, given its backward compatibility, and everyone liked it. But what they really liked, to my surprise, was the Xfce interface. Quick roll-over menus, a traditional interface... My users don't want all the fancy GUI visual enhancements that Microsoft and Canonical seem to be chasing, they just want something easy to use and not much different than what they've always used. (Call that dumb, but hey! they're users, not computer enthusiasts). The point to them isn't a cool interface, it's an easy to use system to get their work done. I want to add I've never used Xfce before but was able to configure it easily within minutes. I was worried that maybe it wouldn't support everything we needed or maybe that it wouldn't be configurable enough, but I was wrong there. No problems or lackings.

Mint + Xfce = major win! Thank you so much to all the developers for this incredibly useful system.
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint is great, Xfce surprising useful

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Post by benali72 »

Thanks, Wizard.

Love your icon!
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dieselboyDB »

Welcome to Mint.
Hope you and your users enjoy it as much as I have.
I also use Mint 13 for the LTS.

dieselboyDB
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

Good day
Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

Return to “Introduce yourself”