Connect Wireless

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
lovera
Level 1
Level 1

Connect Wireless

Post by lovera »

My daughter was given a Dell 4500s Dimension computer that does not have ethernet.
I bought a compatible flash drive WF2109 to connect wireless.
However, we have not been able to connect to Qwest or Centurylink wirless.

The flash drive WF2109 is not allowing me to run the CD although the USB seems to be connected.

I have alsow use my HTC hotspot to connect but the Mozilla Firefox Browser keeps sending a message error: Cannot connect to www.linuxmint.com server.

How do we set up the wireless to connect or to even download a driver to connect?

Thanks so much in advance;

Lovera

:D
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Connect Wireless

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums..

im confused... is the WF2109 a 2/3/4g mobile dongle? , i had a hewley chipped mobile dongle and gave up in the end,
do you not have wireless internet connected in the house if so you only need a usb wifi dongle the easiest to set up [the drivers are built in to mint] are those with atharos or ralink chipsets

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums..

im confused... is the WF2109 a 2/3/4g mobile dongle? , i had a hewley chipped mobile dongle and gave up in the end,
do you not have wireless internet connected in the house if so you only need a usb wifi dongle the easiest to set up [the drivers are built in to mint] are those with atharos or ralink chipsets i currently am using one of the following to connect to my wireless network...http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Wireless-Adapter-2-0-802-11n-g-b-2-4GHZ-150Mbps-Wifi-WLAN-nano-mini-/261239585733?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3cd317bbc5

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

It's a little complicated.

On the cd, burried in a sub-folder, you should find a zip file with a name like: linux_"xyz".zip. Copy it to your downloads directory and extract it to a folder of its own.

Navigate to the extracted folder from a terminal.

Type the word
make

then type the words
sudo make install

It may throw an error. If it does, what is it?

If it doesn't run
modprobe 8712u

Does it work?

If it does, does it still work after reboot, or do you have to type 'modprobe 8712u' again?
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dieselboyDB »

Hello and welcome to mint.
On the wifi issue try installing mint without the wifi plugged in. Some wifi cards and dongles will cause the installation to hang.
Dont worry about this just install first, then follow trappers suggestions then reboot with the card connected,if card is not detected automatically you will have the drivers ready to install. Good luck and let me know how it turns out

dieselboyDB
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Since nobody mentioned it yet, one key in Linux is to know what make/model device you have. The key is to know what it is as Linux Mint sees it

Since it's a usb device, can you open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

lsusb
and paste here the output you get? Or just type the one line if there's a lot of data and you can't connect on that machine. We just need to see how the system sees the chipset in the wireless device to know how to start setting up a driver.

In order to know if a driver is active for it, the command

Code: Select all

lsmod
will list all active drivers. You may not recognize the driver by its "module" name (e.g., the Broadcom proprietary driver (module) is "wl"). If you are able to provide the lsmod output with the lsusb output we can see the device and whether any driver is active yet.

Return to “Introduce yourself”