Goodbye Microsoft, Hello LMDE

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gtsfer

Goodbye Microsoft, Hello LMDE

Post by gtsfer »

A belated hello and into. I started using some basic Linux stuff in work environments a long time ago. It was in May of 2013 that I decided to dump Windows and try installing it at home. This was a whole new deal. I began with an old laptop that was stuffed in the closet for years. Starting with Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Kbuntu and then Linux Mint on my desktop.

I've since moved to LMDE on both the laptop and my desktop PC. I made my share of mistakes and totally blew up machines more than once. :oops: So I got to learn how to install and some basic partitioning schemes pretty fast. Only recently I began poking around on the forums. Before that I Googled for answers for everything. There's a lot of info to digest on here.

My Windows days are long gone, once you cross a certain threshold with Linux you say "holy cr@p, this is a real OS". It takes just a week or so to realize what you've got if you stick with it.

Linux is amazing. Not just what you can do with it. But also the things you don't have to or don't need anymore. No more AV, defrag, file system cleanup and no overloaded with junk registry file anymore. That's the short list.

So anyway, hello from southeastern PA! 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Goodbye Microsoft, Hello LMDE

Post by The-Wizard »

ok then a Belated welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Thank you Mr. "The-Wizard" from all the way across "the pond"!

:)
Last edited by gtsfer on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Welcome "Gtsfer" to Linux and Linux Mint. Whether it's regular Mint with various desktops or the LMDE version you have come to the right place. A truly community run distro, the likes of which will be hard to beat.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the family :mrgreen:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

gtsfer wrote: My Windows days are long gone, once you cross a certain threshold with Linux you say "holy cr@p, this is a real OS".
I like this sentence. I can't agree more :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/

Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Thanks everyone, and I am reading Up and expanding my feeble knowledge of Linux. Maybe it's time I joined the IRC as well.

I'm curious about everything (engineer :P ). Want to learn more more about desktop and WMs, etc maybe next. I'm completely dumb about lots of stuff.
jahid

Post by jahid »

Belated welcome to the Mint family....... :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”