Abandoned

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Paddler

Abandoned

Post by Paddler »

Yup. I was an XP Pro user until Microsoft abandoned me. My computer's disks are too small, the memory is inadequate, and the CPU is too slow to upgrade Windows again. One morning, I heard on NPR that Linux could boost a little extra life out of an old machine, so here I am.

I started computing by programming a Z80 (Digital Group) computer with machine language. Then came DEC's PDP 11 mini-computers and RSX11M and assembly language. I followed that with Sun OS and private networks with routers and gateways. That was all done with many years ago. I am retired now and have forgotten everything I ever knew about the operating system we used to call "Eunuchs".

I am now a writer and a musician. I have a notebook computer that records music very well with Steinberg's Cubase programs and their A/D hardware. However, the notebook is so hellaciously unstable with text entry that it is impossible to write with. I have to use my old, decrepit desktop machine for a word processor. I want to use it on the Internet, too, which is why I am making this foray into the Linux world.

I promise to use the search function with the forums here, but I will probably come up with questions that are too daft to be covered by your database.

Regards,
Paddler
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Abandoned

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Welcome to Mint and to the forum, Paddler!

Help wiki
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Good search link:
http://home.windstream.net/joelwest/
Paddler wrote:I promise to use the search function with the forums here, but I will probably come up with questions that are too daft to be covered by your database.
Don't underestimate the daftness of our database.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Welcome to Linux Mint and join the other Windows XP refugees.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Try not to think of it as 'abandonment' but more of an opportunity at 'Freedom' :wink:

Welcome to Linux Mint :P
Paddler

Post by Paddler »

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.

The more I read about this operating system the more I am beginning to like it.
daveinuk wrote:Try not to think of it as 'abandonment' but more of an opportunity at 'Freedom' :wink:

Welcome to Linux Mint :P
I am beginning to think Microsoft has done me a favor. I am forced to get off of my lazy hindsite and actually think about computing again.

Regards,
Paddler
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Paddler and welcome to the forum. I think once you install Mint and get used to using it, you will inevitably ask yourself the question that everyone else does: "What on earth was I thinking by using Windows XP for so many years?" :oops:
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

My computer's disks are too small, the memory is inadequate, and the CPU is too slow to upgrade Windows again
if it was running winXP SP3, then it will definitely require about 1.5Ghz cpu & about 1Gb ram.
- that's the main reason, as to why winXP based PCs run badly. - inadequate hardware.

unfortunately most modern Linux O/Ss require at least that much in hardware, as well.
so, the answer is in using a lightweight Linux O/S, that is not a mainstream based O/S.

the good news, is that, Linux Mint, amongst others, does have such a variation. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
AlanWalker

Post by AlanWalker »

Paddler wrote:Yup. I was an XP Pro user until Microsoft abandoned me. My computer's disks are too small, the memory is inadequate, and the CPU is too slow to upgrade Windows again. One morning, I heard on NPR that Linux could boost a little extra life out of an old machine, so here I am.

I started computing by programming a Z80 (Digital Group) computer with machine language. Then came DEC's PDP 11 mini-computers and RSX11M and assembly language. I followed that with Sun OS and private networks with routers and gateways. That was all done with many years ago. I am retired now and have forgotten everything I ever knew about the operating system we used to call "Eunuchs".

I am now a writer and a musician. I have a notebook computer that records music very well with Steinberg's Cubase programs and their A/D hardware. However, the notebook is so hellaciously unstable with text entry that it is impossible to write with. I have to use my old, decrepit desktop machine for a word processor. I want to use it on the Internet, too, which is why I am making this foray into the Linux world.

I promise to use the search function with the forums here, but I will probably come up with questions that are too daft to be covered by your database.

Regards,
Paddler
Hello Padder,

You and I share a demographic profile (retired, sometime writer (mostly, if not all, past tense for me), and archaic arcane experience in computers).

I'll venture that you're going to like a re-awakened keen interest in computers that you'll experience as you delve deeper into Mint and Linux, and that you'll soon be comfortable in this friendly, capable community.

Remember the necessary precision of thought that computers once required of you? Well, that's coming your way again! :)

I am running a very solid instance of Mint's LMDE on a used 4 year old Thinkpad T500 bought on Ebay for something like $140.00 (I've 4 other Thinkpads sitting around as the price and power of these systems are ideal for me); I'm virtually new to Linux, something like 5 weeks now (not counting a month or two of experience near a year back), so we both are, more or less, new to Linux also.

Your use of the word "daft" reminded me of a line from the film "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain"; in it man said of himself and his twin "Aye, we're tup, but we're not so tup we don't know we're tup." - I haven't the foggiest idea of why that happened! :)

Regards, and welcome...
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”