oldcharlie sends greetings to the Mint community

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

oldcharlie sends greetings to the Mint community

Post by oldcharlie »

Like so many others when MS decided to end support for XP I wasn't sure what to do. I had installed Windows 8.0 on my daughters machine and couldn't ever see myself using something like that. This left one option, Linux. I have been wanting to try Linux for several years but was too intimidated or too busy or just plain scared. But now I'm retired and supposedly have lots of time but that to is pure fantasy as I seem to be busier than ever. Right now painting the house in and out. Some specifics about me.
Born 1942, first computer used IBM 360 mainframe with keypunch, card reader, Fortran G (I believe) and endless reams of syntax error messages :oops: instead of my expected and dreamed of output. Next an IBM PC with floppy drive (No hard drive yet) using DOS 2.11. I had a stint using a DEC PDP 11/73 mini computer and was introduced to the RXM-M Plus operating system sort of. Great machine, you couldn't kill it with a hammer. After that it was all PC's with windows software.
In the 80's I thought I was really smart, built a couple machines doing everything cool. I did some very specific programming in the 80's and early 90's but when the object orientation graphical changes appeared I felt lost and confused and by then younger folks were taking over and I moved on to other things. I was introduced to programming when memory was dear so we did flowcharts of all programs and if you could finds a way to make a program more efficient and smaller that was great. I was also taught that to be a programmer you had to know your hardware and that advice was the best I ever received. Like lots of old people I felt that the new programming is too cluttered and sloppy and very confusing. (That's opinion)
But, beat up slower of mind and basically back to ignorant I love the idea of open source software and I too made the switch. I went cold turkey, reformatting my old XP drives and installing Linux Mint 13 Maya with Cinnamon LTS a few months ago. I am now 100% Linux on my desktop and have managed to keep it running even network with my laptop running Windows 7.0 (Used for travel and email only) and I keep a back up of all my data files on the laptop. I have multiple issues still. On updates I get error messages about Samba (I think I saw the reason on a post here) I can't log in or access my Linux desktop from my windows laptop although I can see the machine. I really need to spend some time reading, learning, implementing better security procedures on my Linux machine. I get real frustrated when I try something (in terminal) that I read on this and other forums and I get the “command not found” error. Thinking about upgrading to Mint 17 but see that requires a fresh install and a bit nervous about totally messing up everything I have working right now. Hopefully with help from this forum I can over come some of these issues. My only sorrow on leaving windows is excel – I truly admit I loved that program and after many hours learning to do some nice macro's I miss some of the familiar commands and was disappointed to find that I need to start all over in libre office calc – oh well.
Happy that I finaly made the switch.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 64 bit; 4.15.0-72 Kernel; Core i5-6260U, 16GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540
The-Wizard

Re: oldcharlie sends greetings to the Mint community

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, oldcharlie!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Welcome oldcharlie, to the Linux Mint Forum. Glad you are here. Enjoy. :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”