Dropping in to say hello++

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
cseder
Level 1
Level 1

Dropping in to say hello++

Post by cseder »

Hi there.

I've used Debian and Debian based distributions since 1996. It started in with my position as a server and network administrator,
and Linux "know-how" has continued to be a very nice asset to carry with me into the other positions I've been employed to, such as being a network security administrator, security consultant and in the later years as a developer.
I've used other distributions as well, such as RedHat (before it was commercial), Suse Linux, Slackware and Gentoo.
Some of the servers I've set up ran FreeBSD as well.
I use C, C++ and Python as my main tools as a developer and have done a fair share of C#/.Net as well.

It wasn't until the first release of Ubuntu back in 2005 that I seriously considered switching to Linux as a desktop OS as well as using it for server tasks.
For those of you that remember, this was a milestone in bringing Linux to the desktop.
The Ubuntu team certainly has kept pushing releases that makes switching from other proprietary operating systems easier and easier.

And along comes "Mint". In the beginning I didn't give it much attention. I thought it was just a copy-cat with a little glitter on it.
As you see from my join date it wasn't really yesterday.

I was about to join the Xubuntu development team, but I had some serious trouble with my laptop a few days ago, and I found a boot CD from a linux magazine containing Mint along with some rescue-tools.
I got my problems fixed, but just for kicks I downloaded the latest Xfce version of Mint, and guess what? I got totally blown away.

Everything is so well thought out in this Xfce distro that it almost hurts.

I have a tiny pocket of time released after completing a former project, and I'm starting to play around with the thought of joining the development team of the Xfce edition of Mint.
I've never seen anyone make Xfce look and feel this great. Seriously.

Well, this is starting to be a long hello message, so I'll end it by saying "Hello Mint Developers!".
You're doing a great job.

Chris
Fortune favors the prepared mind.
- L. Pasteur

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Dropping in to say hello++

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Hey Chris, welcome to Linux Mint :D You can take a sneak peak at the roadmap of the Linux Mint developers here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap. It's a summary of things the team is working on. For 17.2 you'll spot Xfce 4.12 is on the horizon.

The developers can usually be found on Linux Mint's IRC developer channel. Come say hi! Just open HexChat from your menu to join the Linux Mint IRC channels, and then type /join #linuxmint-dev to join the developer channel. While the team spends a lot of time on Cinnamon, there are a few others on the team running Xfce. Especially with your Python and C skills you might find there are more things you could contribute to. All the Linux Mint tools (Software Manager, Update Manager, and so on) are written in Python. All software developed by Linux Mint is hosted on GitHub.

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Excellent background cseder--
experience such as yours makes the group stronger.
Welcome
libera ab tyrannis

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum** The best way to get "help" is to ask your real question. Give as much detail as you can in a sentence or two.
..................................................................................
From a technical point of view it’s no longer tied to the Ubuntu schedule, so it could be released at any time, there’s no technical relevance between 14.10 and 17.1. Now, with that said, the 6 months cycle gave us rhythm and although quality and content dictate releases going public or being held back more so than dates or vague deadlines, the idea of a late November release is still there within the team and it helps us working towards that target.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

cseder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cseder »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll read up on the suggested resources, and you'll see more rfom me in the times to come...
- L. Pasteur

cseder
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dropping in to say hello

Post by cseder »

Really? 5 years since I said that, and still no action? :roll:

Kinda got hit by a bus so to say. It had "LIFE" printed on it, and damned it was a hard hit!
Got my priorities skewed there for a while.
Started my own consulting business and have been busy learning lots of new stuff.

Still appreciate Linux Mint though, even if I've been on the dark side (Arch) in parallel.
I don't agree in all the decisions by the Canonical Overlord,
so I figured, because Mint is more or less an Ubuntu derivative, this would probably feel like sticks in the wheels.

But, is this as true now as it was back then?
How independent from Ubuntu does Mint consider itself these days?

Anyway, sorry for not following up on my initial thoughts of contributing.
Still find Mint as an interesting distribution that still "just works", most of the time.

I'm not looking for a newbie distro, I started using Slackware Linux on floppies in the early '90s,
but I enjoy not having to go through hours of configuration when setting up new machines, and for that, Mint is pretty close to perfect.
- L. Pasteur

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

How independent from Ubuntu does Mint consider itself these days?
LMDE is there just in case ubuntu goes in a direction mint doesn't want to.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

cseder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cseder »

Yeah, probably a solution right now, but to me, Ubuntu doesn't seem to be the biggest risk in this equation.

I hear that Debian is kinda falling apart from within. Lots of instability, people leaving the project, arguing etc.

What it would mean in a grand scheme if Debian was to cease to exist isn't easy to predict, but it would definitely mean that LMDE DVDs would make good coasters though... Not much more.
:?
- L. Pasteur

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”