Wife Has Moved Up To Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
ceg
Level 1
Level 1

Wife Has Moved Up To Mint

Post by ceg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 am

My wife, a diehard Windows user, has finally moved up to Linux Mint. She recently had her computer replaced and it ate her Windows installation before she got a set of restore disks made. With no other choice she has finally moved up to Linux. She first tried Peppermint but it wasn't for her. Today she installed LM17 and likes it much better. She's already got most of her previous Windows programs installed and will be starting on getting more familiar with the system starting tomorrow.

She is a bit unsure of how quickly she will be able to pick up on Linux. It's taken me a long time to even get her to try Linux. I would be so appreciative is any of you could take just a moment of your time to welcome her to the Linux world and make her feel a bit more comfortable with the change. It's a big change for her and I'm hoping she will tune right into it. Thanks for any support you may offer her. I'll pass along any messages here to her.

Ceg
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed email address; moved to introduce yourself forum (as we have no "introduce somebody else" forum)
Acer Aspire AM3970G-UW10P...LM18-64_Mate.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wife Has Moved Up To Mint

Post by The-Wizard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:25 am

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 am

it would be really nice, if you could update occasionally on her progress.
- how she adapts to a non-M$ environment
- how she replaces those common M$ software, with < some > alternative. ..

do show her the Mint Users Guide, that came with that installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:11 am

Welcome aboard, ceg's wife!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ninomrki » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:27 am

My wife picked it up pretty fast and on her own. Even though she still prefers Windows (mostly because she thinks it looks prettier) and refuses to use Linux on daily basis, when she needed to work from home, she had no trouble figuring out where everything is in Mint without any help from me.
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:49 am

Welcome Mrs ceg , It's understandable that people are apprehensive about computing, MS has conditioned everyone to believe that there's the windows way or else you need to have multiple phds in computing science and be a coding genius to be able to use a pc, i was the same but after a few days tinkering around with ubuntu i soon realised this is totally not the case, i enjoy using my pc a lot more with linux than i ever did with MS

just take it at your own pace and remember, we were all newbies once, the mint forums are a great resource if you get stuck with anything, enjoy! :-)

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:55 am

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D

vl1969
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vl1969 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:14 am

ceg wrote: She is a bit unsure of how quickly she will be able to pick up on Linux. It's taken me a long time to even get her to try Linux. I would be so appreciative is any of you could take just a moment of your time to welcome her to the Linux world and make her feel a bit more comfortable with the change. It's a big change for her and I'm hoping she will tune right into it. Thanks for any support you may offer her. I'll pass along any messages here to her.

Ceg
you should have tried what I did :-) (providing your wife does not use the PC for work and simply MUST have windows apps to do it)
as it happend at the time my wife used her worked issued laptop to do all work related things, thus when my main PC got trashed by virus (beats me how it get there but it did)
and the fact that it was win XP and out of support. I used that excues to load Mint 17.0 on it "temporary" to check it out. turns out wife liked it enough for mint to stay there and I liked it as well to keep it there. I also moved my HTPC to mint (16 at the moment)
and my laptop as well.
now I have HTPC runnig mint 16 mate (will be moving to KodiBuntu though)
and my main PC and Laptop Mint 17.1 been using it for the last 6+ month and so far not much bad to say about it, only good things.
granted on some occasions I really need a windows app, but find linux replacement sutable for the job. and some things, like Skype , Webcam , scanner/printer, need lots TLC but at the end it works and do what is needed.

Love it so far...

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 am

Welcome to the forum! Every operating system is point and click these days but I am sure that there are differences in the software that you use day to day. As far as the appearance goes you can make Mint look any way you like with different themes and icons, etc. It's unfortunate circumstances that brought you here but at least now you are still able to use your computer.

My wife uses Windows, she has a favorite game that does not run well in Linux. She has ran Linux in the past before I gave her a higher end computer to use but she prefers Windows 7. It's her choice and I just want to keep her happy. I downloaded Windows and used a key code from another computer that was switched over to Linux. I did have to find all the device drivers myself and it took all day to get everything updated and installed.

Just wanted you to know you do have options because some people do prefer Windows and no one wants to force Linux on you. If you need any help using Mint the community is here to help you!

ceg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ceg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am

She's liking Mint a lot better than she did Peppermint. She's starting to fall right in and picking it up pretty quickly. I'm proud of her.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 am

Be sure to tell your wife you are proud of her! :)

MrsCeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrsCeg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 am

Thank you so much for the welcome and support...Lord knows I'm gonna need it :)

Ceg is quite correct about my being a long-term Windows user. My first PC had a 14.4k external modem and Windows 3.1....no, it was not delivered via Dinosaur Express ;) The main reason why I was so hinky about getting off Windows, other than Ceg and I are almost polar opposites on how our brains work and (if HE thinks something is easily understandable then there's a good chance that I'll be totally confused by it), I did not want to have to give up my beloved graphics program. I discovered graphic art about my 2nd. day online with my first computer and have spent the past 26 years being a voraciously enthusiastic albeit perpetually amateur graphic artist. I've already found out that thanks to a certain handy dandy little program, I can at least run Paint Shop so I won't be going into graphic creation withdrawal within the next few days ;)

I guess even old pooches like me can learn a new trick or two :D

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am

Welcome to Mint, Mrs. Ceg, and Happy Minting! :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Welcome aboard, MrsCeg! If you're into graphics, you might give Gimp or Krita a try. Little bit of a learning curve, but both are very powerful.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

MrsCeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrsCeg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:18 pm

I've used Gimp before ~ actually, there probably isn't a graphics program in existence that I haven't at least played with somewhere along the way.

Bless his heart ~ my husband will be the first to admit that he's not a graphic-head and couldn't understand my justthisclosetoabsolutepanic when both my hard drive and external both curled up and died. He was trying to assure me that I could get everything back and I was thinking of the 11,000 or so PSP tubes I have collected over the years. Of course, there was a secondary spate of panic over the 5,000 or so E-books that were also out in the ether. They say that anything over 3 of anything is a collection...anyone know of any 12 step groups for dually diagnosed e-book and graphic image addicts? ;)

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:13 pm

My first PC had a 14.4k external modem

coo you were flash, my modem was 7k on a modified 286 [had it running 2x20 Mhz processor and an internal ram tower with a heady 4 kb of ram,
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:15 pm

MrsCeg wrote:Thank you so much for the welcome and support...Lord knows I'm gonna need it :)

Ceg is quite correct about my being a long-term Windows user. My first PC had a 14.4k external modem and Windows 3.1....no, it was not delivered via Dinosaur Express ;) The main reason why I was so hinky about getting off Windows, other than Ceg and I are almost polar opposites on how our brains work and (if HE thinks something is easily understandable then there's a good chance that I'll be totally confused by it), I did not want to have to give up my beloved graphics program. I discovered graphic art about my 2nd. day online with my first computer and have spent the past 26 years being a voraciously enthusiastic albeit perpetually amateur graphic artist. I've already found out that thanks to a certain handy dandy little program, I can at least run Paint Shop so I won't be going into graphic creation withdrawal within the next few days ;)

I guess even old pooches like me can learn a new trick or two :D
Welcome Mr. & Mrs. Ceg,

Obviously, most of us here think that you are going to love Linux Mint even it takes a little while to get used to it. I have been using Linux Mint KDE for years and I love it. I have been able to get everything I used to use, or needed to use, in Windows working in Linux Mint. Granted, I had to use Linux Mint alternative software programs to do this, but they work as well or better than they did in MS Windows.

It would help us to know what edition and version of Linux Mint you are using, Like version 17 or 17.1 and what edition of Linux Mint: Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my fav), or Xfce, 32-bit or 64-bit? Perhaps some hardware info too. There are some differences in each. You can also put this information into your signature line of your profile under the "user control panel" in the upper left of this forum screen, so that when you post a question, or reply to one, we will have information to help you out. You can see an example under my post and other user's posts. You can get this information from your System Menu option System Information, or Infocenter, or by typing in a console terminal "inxi -Fx".

If you love graphics art, then you will be surprised at how many really great programs are available for Linux and Linux Mint (LM), like "Gimp", "Blender","Inkscape", etc... I don't know if you have already installed "Wine" to get your Paint Shop Pro program working, but it does work when installed using "Wine". The program "Gimp" which is included in most Linux Mint editions is a great alternative to Paint Shop Pro and Photo Shop. There are many really good tutorials for you to use regarding Linux Mint, the Gimp program, and almost any other program(s). Some tutorials of course are available on YouTube and you can download those to your machine for viewing at your leisure if you want to. If you install "Youtube DL GUI" program, you could easily download all the video tutorials from someone's "playlist" for "Gimp", or anything else, at one time.

Gimp Tutorials - links
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Photo Advanced has provided some really great video tutorials for Gimp, Blender, Inkscape, etc...
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoAdvanced/playlists

20 fantastic GIMP tutorials to get you from beginner to pro
http://10steps.sg/tutorials/20-fantasti ... er-to-pro/

How to Gimp
http://howtogimp.com/

Blender - 3D modeller - Photorealistic Rendering
http://www.blender.org/
Blender Features
http://www.blender.org/features/

Inkscape - professional vector graphics editor
https://inkscape.org/en/

Using Paint Shop Pro Tubes and stuff in Gimp

Install "XnView" to view and convert stuff. Update 04-29-2015 1:23am eastern. I just tried XnView to convert Paint Shop Pro (PSP) Tubes into ".png" image files for use in Gimp and it worked. You can convert one "tube" file at a time or more than one (in batches). You still have to bring up each "tubeXYZ.png" file in the Gimp program and then export them as ex: Gimp Brush "tubeXYZ.gbr" or Gimp Brush Animated "tubeXYZ.gih"; there may be a way in Gimp to do that en masse, all at once, but I don't know how to do that now. I would recommend that you put all of your PSP tube files into a specific folder like "PSP-Tubes" so that you can easily convert the whole folder's contents to something like "GimpTubes" or "GimpPSPBrushes". Then, you would have to tell Gimp to add that folder to the "brushes" section under "edit", "preferences", "folders", the "brushes". Then when you restart Gimp, all your new brushes (tubes) would be available.

Want to be able to use your PSP picture tubes in GIMP?
http://www.mahvin.com/2009/02/want-to-b ... cture.html

What are GIMP Tubes? Gimp Tubes are called animated image or hose pipes. They are similar to Paint Shop Pro's "picture tubes" and work in the same fashion. They fall under the Brushes dialog box in GIMP's UI (see link below)
http://www.mahvin.com/p/gimp-tubes.html

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11410
"rich2005, I regularly open psp tubes from a couple of my favourite tubers in GIMP...several times a week...and they are definitely later than psp5...more like psp xi, xiii, and later.

"Those that I can't open in GIMP go into psp xiii on my virtual machine and are converted to a transparent .png file and then can be used in GIMP just as easily as they can by in PSP only better. psp masks are usually .jpeg and easy to use in GIMP as well."

Convert PSP brushes, gradients, patterns, etc... to Gimp
http://gimpforums.com/thread-convert-ps ... ns-to-gimp

"RE: convert psp brushes, gradients, & patterns to Gimp???
Some of the PSP resources are plain bitmap files. Patterns should work without any conversions.
Gradients so far have defeated me.
Brushes and tubes. These will open in XnView (and probably Irfanview) and can be converted to an image file. Then to a brush using Gimp.
example: http://i.imgur.com/f6TWQz9.jpg

Tubes take a bit of work. Split the image up into layers and create a Gimp image hose (.gih)
A couple of screenshots, the sort of thing to look out for. A little bit of fade dynamics used."
http://i.imgur.com/XNqSurZ.jpg

Gimp - Image Pipes - Example 5 _ Converting a PSP image tube to a GIMP Image Pipe
There are lots of "Image Tubes" created with and for Paint Shop Pro available on the internet. GIMP can load these files and save them as GIMP image pipes. There is a .tub loader plugin in GIMP that you can use to load .tub files you find on the net. Then you can turn around and save these files as a .gih file.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Image_Pipes/

Hope this helps and enjoy using Linux Mint!
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

ceg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ceg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 pm

We are both using LM 17. I'm not sure about her hardware. I'm currently running on an Acer Aspire One AOA150 with 1 gig RAM. I have a desktop coming tomorrow or Thursday that has 4 gigs of RAM. Wife ordered a refurb from walmart(dot)com so I'll be waiting for it to come in to find out all the specs. All I know is that it's an HP.

Her flair is graphics and ebooks. I'm working on getting back into programming. I started programming on a Timex/Sinclair 1000 in 1973. I am currently working on getting my website back online as soon as the webhost upgrades the PHP. My hobby is testing CMS and social network scripts. I had a book published in October and am starting on a sequel so I will also be focusing on writing.

Thanks for the welcomes and the great list of links! Thanks for the support! You guys are great!

Dezi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dezi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 am

Welcome to her! My wife completely switched from windows about a year ago. She went back about 6 months ago due to some games. Really though, she was a face book user and internet broweser! :)
So my son got her a Rasberry Pi for Christmas. Oh did that start things! hahahah I now have a bricked older WII and a functional Rasberry PI, in addition had to give her a name...
I took my phone, typed in a jumbled set of letters and vowels and Voila! Eggs Fredrick was born! Hhahahaa This really started things up for her. She is learning the Terminal, playing with the Pi, and is becoming a whiz!

I mention all this because it was a slow process. I tried to glam her with all the tweaks she could do. No effect. She is happy with default Cinnamon for 17.1 Showed her icons, themes, etc... no affect. But when she wanted to do something she researched and found how to do it in Linux.

Find the thing she likes.. show her how Linux does it! Then stand back! :)

Oh and did I mention...she is 60 years old!!
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence,but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:03 am

MrsCeg, nice to see you getting along so well using Mint! Also nice seeing the community stepping up and helping you out in every way they can. :) From what you wrote I can see you being very successful running Linux Mint. Your husband has every reason to be proud of you! With your attitude and abilities you will pick things up really quick!

Return to “Introduce yourself”