A new newbie to the scene.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
ShadowKnight01
Level 1
Level 1

A new newbie to the scene.

Post by ShadowKnight01 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi guys and girls. My name is ShadowKnight01. Am a new Linux user and I've been using Linux Mint since November as of last year(2014). So far am loving it. Am currently using the Cinnamon 64bit 17.1 edition of Mint. I was a former Windows user for many years starting from the old Windows 95 days and only last year did I discover Linux. I had chosen Linux for a few simple reasons which may be similar to fellow users in the Linux world. My two top main reasons which am only going mention in this short introduction is that Linux is license free and can be installed as many times as I wish without annoying product key activation like Windows and free from Windows viruses. Ever since I installed Linux and Mint I have never looked back at Windows. Never had any issues. AND! it's saved me alot of money in the past few months alone being that Linux is entirely free to use and install. Now I have a few questions if any of you kind people could help me out with.

1: My main desktop PC which has no access to the internet what so ever due to having s""t wifi signals and having a ethernet cable on hand is impossible due to the location of the modem router. Am find a few things difficult to installing software offline with file types such tar.bz2 etc. I can extract such files but have no idea what to do with them next. I downloaded some files and transferred them to a flash drive but have no idea the correct procedure on how to install them and be able to use them.

2: My second question is that am looking for a easy to use backup software. Am looking to be able to back up my operating system and it's settings so that if the time comes to re-install it again I won't have to worry about doing all those settings and having reload my files like music, documents and photo's etc every time the operating system gets re-installed.

3: My final question is can any of you send me recommended websites to download themes and icons etc especially for cinnamon in general thanks.

If any one can help me with either of those questions many thanks to you.

ShadowKnight01. :wink:

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: A new newbie to the scene.

Post by Crewp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. As far as your questions go, #3 You can just go to system settings and click on THEMES, or APPLETS, or DESKLETS and you will find a tab to download more of each from the Cinnamon/ Spices web site.

#2 is really a matter of what you like, Linux Mint has a built in backup software, also there are more in the software center, I use the built in one.

#1 If I understand you correctly, your PC does not have internet access, so you are downloading from another PC w/ internet access, onto a flash drive. But I suggest asking this in the forum under software, as I am not sure how to guide you on this.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 pm

welcome to the Mint family forums

Hardware problems?

Don't forget to cut and paste the results of terminal command inxi -Fnx with your question
wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

ShadowKnight01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShadowKnight01 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:51 pm

The-Wizard wrote:welcome to the Mint family forums

Hardware problems?

Don't forget to cut and paste the results of terminal command inxi -Fnx with your question
wizard
Hi no hardware issues just crappy internet, and to the guy above yeah am transferring from a pc with internet to flash drive.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:56 am

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:54 am

Welcome aboard, ShadowKnight01! Unfortunately, I don't have the answers to your questions, but stick around, I'm sure somebody will.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Problem 1 sounds like it could be resolved with a couple of powerline adaptors. They don't care what OS you are using.
Go Steady, but keep going

Return to “Introduce yourself”