Kia ora

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hagey

Kia ora

Post by hagey »

That's how you would give an informal greeting (hello) in Maori and as it is Maori language week here in New Zealand what better way to start :)

Two confessions: 1. I am actually from Scotland not NZ but have lived here for the last (almost) ten years. 2. I am a very basic computer user.

Some background on the second; when I was at school in the 80's we had a couple of IBM machines and a McKintosh (which was mostly ignored) to learn about computing. The thinking then was that this was the future. :lol: I remember being taught a bit about dos, all that *.* stuff and used to play around with basic. It didn't really get that interesting for me until Windows 95 and my first (real) home computer. I say real so as to discount the Vic 20 and Toshiba MSX I had previously owned! Ever since, I have used Windows machines but only for surfing the net, checking email, downloading music/films etc. - basic stuff where I have only ventured into making changes to certain settings guided by "what happens if I select that" sort of mentallity. Again, very basic.

I accidentally got turned onto Linux Mint as I had considered throwing out an old laptop I hadn't used for years as it was slow and ran XP. I happened to come across a link entitled something like, "looking for an alternative to XP?". I blew the dust off this machine, got my RAM upgraded to 1Gb (the laptop's max!) and installed Mint 13. Wow - this thing actually works again!

I have to say that people on this forum have been incredibly patient and helpful and have renewed an interest, or at least a curiosity, in computing. Especially vis-a-vis using the terminal and entering commands. This has been interesting, fun and educational. Ironically so far, since getting this laptop working again I have spent more time with it just looking at this forum :)

So I am hoping that maybe this will become a hobby and I long to find out more about using the terminal and how and get back to where my education should have gone 30 years ago. As you will see I am now on Rebecca (so to speak) and enjoying that even more.

On the first point; NZ is a great place to live but very expensive. I wouldn't really want to live anywhere else though, minute from a beautiful beach :) The time difference means that by the time I get up in the morning someone has usually answered my forum question :)

Don't get me wrong though, I might live in NZ, but I'm most definitely Scottish ;)

So, very briefly, that's where I'm at. Glad to meet you all.

hagey.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Kia ora

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, hagey!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Welcome to the forum! :)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D
hagey

Post by hagey »

Thanks everybody, I appreciate that.

I will read everything then vrkalak :lol:

Cheers, hagey.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Kia ora, hagey. :)
Welcome to the family, and Happy Minting!

My family is (probably) from Scotland too--never been there myself. (Long story--definitely Irish, but might be Scots who moved to Ireland and then dispersed--the sort of story you might want to hear only if the power is out and you've read every book in the house 4 times :lol:) I need to stop by NZ as well--I hear it's beautiful. Great surfing, too. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Hello hagey and welcome to the Mint Forums :mrgreen:
omer

Post by omer »

Welcome to Mint :)
hagey

Post by hagey »

Hello friends, thanks for the welcome :)

Fred, got some Irish in me too, go back long enough - that's where I came from. NZ is beautiful, brilliant in the summer especially, but the winter is getting colder! :lol:

Only been to OZ once, Gold Coast (of course!) and had a great time. People talk about the countries as if they were actually close together! :lol:

hagey.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

hagey wrote: People talk about the countries as if they were actually close together! :lol:
Yep...I love that. :) I believe some chaps think OZ and NZ are the same place. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
H.P-V

Post by H.P-V »

Kia Ora, bru! :)

Haere mai!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”