Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
feainnewedd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by feainnewedd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:03 am

Hey there, ladies! I'm new here and to Linux in general! I do like my Windows 10 rig, but I bought an old, secondhand laptop that can't handle Windows so I thought, why not give Linux a try? I used another distro before, but then my laptop started working and I decided to try Mint this time. Liking the experience so far.
Dell Inspiron 1121
i3 U330 @1.20GHz x2
4GB | 250GB
Linux Mint 19 "Tara" Cinnamon Edition

sbryant1000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbryant1000 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi, my name is Sandy and I am new to Linux. My old desktop computer (optiplex 755) has been running on windows 7 and now has decided to block my admin. sign in. was thinking I needed a new desktop and started looking at the least expensive ones. Windows 10 doesn't run well and these computers. In reading the reviews I read about how some were removing 10 and installing Linux. They talked about how much faster and even installing on OLD computers. What an interesting idea. So here I am with my old computer and just installed Linux on it. I know very little about computers and hope this forum will help me.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Hello Sandy Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:07 pm

sbryant1000 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 pm
Hi, my name is Sandy and I am new to Linux. My old desktop computer (optiplex 755) has been running on windows 7 and now has decided to block my admin. sign in. was thinking I needed a new desktop and started looking at the least expensive ones. Windows 10 doesn't run well and these computers. In reading the reviews I read about how some were removing 10 and installing Linux. They talked about how much faster and even installing on OLD computers. What an interesting idea. So here I am with my old computer and just installed Linux on it. I know very little about computers and hope this forum will help me.
Wow. It's been that long!

When I first started working for Dell, the 755 was the main business computer. All the way back in 2007.

It may be old, but they are solid machines. If they have inherited anything from Dell's heritage, you could get another 10 years out of it.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Introduce yourself”