Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amira

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by amira »

Thank you very much.
I know it will take time.
It's much better than Windows.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

Hello my name is Aisha, i just started using linux mint on an older laptop, like it when mint is not using a lot of memory and runs faster then a os of Redmond :D just started here in the forum. ce ya
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Aisha, welcome to the forum and to Mint! :mrgreen:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cmandville

Post by cmandville »

LindaV wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 am Hi Hun.. I'm Linda.. Just want to tell you I love this Linux Mint more than I love my little brother...
Most people do,,,, like things more than any of their brothers. Well i am new to Linux generally but a lot of people may recognise my name from other world famous forums. Im based in Sussex in the UK.
erikjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by erikjan »

Dear Franny,

yes, Linux Mint is an excellent choice. It is far superior to Windows, much easier to maintain/update and and secure, no fear of spyware (like Windows itself) or other malware. You will love it.

Welcome to the world of Linux Mint!

Enjoy!

Erik Jan
Lady CinnaMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lady CinnaMint »

Hello, I'm an American .... a lady expat permanently living in far Northern Europe... I spend the majority of my days writing ... & I'm increasingly unable to continue onward with MS Windows as the albatross around my neck. I've been researching & studying up on Linux for about 2 months....today is my "Leap of Freedom" to Linux (although...my USB stick didn't boot). But I will be forging ahead, shifting my lifestyle as necessary as I move forward with this new chapter of my life. My only "regret" thus far is that I didn't shift to Linux earlier...a new paradigm for sure.

I left social media behind many years ago now, having spent enough time there to be experience the upsides but long enough to learn what was going on behind the scenes at Big Tech.

I have a lot of goals here in terms of privacy improvements & technological UPSHIFTS in my life (particularly as the "world out there" becomes ever stranger). Linux is just the beginning of sailing upon unknown horizons.

My two cents... from the pretty Far North .... Thank you for the invitation to write a few words and opening a little place for me to feel welcomed ; - ))
tbplayer

Post by tbplayer »

LindaV wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 am Hi Hun.. I'm Linda.. Just want to tell you I love this Linux Mint more than I love my little brother...
:lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lady CinnaMint wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:39 pm I've been researching & studying up on Linux for about 2 months....today is my "Leap of Freedom" to Linux (although...my USB stick didn't boot). But I will be forging ahead
Hello,
That's the spirit! Keep on keepin' on, and ask questions as needed, and you'll get there. You're not alone in this!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Barbaraa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barbaraa »

Hello Ladies

My name is Barbara and i try Linux Mint out, just started here in the forum. I hope I can handle it. What i can say until now, better than Windows 10! FOR SURE :mrgreen:
TaneShtorm

Post by TaneShtorm »

Hello! Thanks for a separate topic for ladies! Pleasantly surprised :D
hickdawg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hickdawg »

Hi! Funny, I was just wondering how many other women were on Linux and now I have my answer! LOTS! Sooo cool! :mrgreen:
I have been dual-booting for a while and after I built my latest new computer I apparently added a driver I shouldn't have in Windows and BOOM! Major blue screen of death.
I was very sad. :oops:
But I had my Linux USB and was able to boot to Mint, np. Windows on the other hand, has been giving me fits for a month now. If I didn't need it for a particular program, I would not bother. But this opportunity has given me a new appreciation of how awesome Linux truly is (and I do like my privacy.) So I am diving in and enjoying the learning process. :D
boombip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boombip »

Hi. I have been researching Linux for a little while. I have been using Mint in a VM for almost a week and I am ready to take the plunge and install it and completely get rid of Windows. Initially I was going to dual boot, but then I realized that there really is nothing I am going to miss about Windows. I just need to buy a USB stick and I'll be ready to go.
It's great to see so many other women into Linux!
SmokeRings
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SmokeRings »

Hi everyone! I am a gal from America and have been enjoying my time using Mint.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello SmokeRings,
Welcome to the forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
onehotmess2020's post can be found in a dedicated thread here: Linux Mint boots from splash screen to black screen.
Problem reports & help requests deserve their dedicated threads in the appropriate sub-forum. In a chat thread they will get lost simply.
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

An aside:

Microsoft announces a new version of Windows, Windows 11.

Windows 11 supports Android apps.

Microsoft is losing market share to devices running IOS and Android.

It also offers an advanced user interface (people got sick of 'flat'?)

Far as I am concerned, Windows is losing market share thanks to Linux Mint.

I've swapped a lot of my friends out...

Maybe Mint should consider support for Android apps?
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Lady CinnaMint wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:39 pm Hello, I'm an American .... a lady expat permanently living in far Northern Europe... I spend the majority of my days writing ... & I'm increasingly unable to continue onward with MS Windows as the albatross around my neck. I've been researching & studying up on Linux for about 2 months....today is my "Leap of Freedom" to Linux (although...my USB stick didn't boot). But I will be forging ahead, shifting my lifestyle as necessary as I move forward with this new chapter of my life. My only "regret" thus far is that I didn't shift to Linux earlier...a new paradigm for sure.

I left social media behind many years ago now, having spent enough time there to be experience the upsides but long enough to learn what was going on behind the scenes at Big Tech.

I have a lot of goals here in terms of privacy improvements & technological UPSHIFTS in my life (particularly as the "world out there" becomes ever stranger). Linux is just the beginning of sailing upon unknown horizons.

My two cents... from the pretty Far North .... Thank you for the invitation to write a few words and opening a little place for me to feel welcomed ; - ))
I wish I could join you...

America isn't what it was.

Stay in Europe...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:18 am An aside:

Microsoft announces a new version of Windows, Windows 11.

Windows 11 supports Android apps.

Microsoft is losing market share to devices running IOS and Android.

It also offers an advanced user interface (people got sick of 'flat'?)

Far as I am concerned, Windows is losing market share thanks to Linux Mint.

I've swapped a lot of my friends out...

Maybe Mint should consider support for Android apps?
And it REQUIRES a Microsoft account to even install…. The evil continues.
- - which now means that you can't Install it in an Off-line Mode . .
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:18 am ...Maybe Mint should consider support for Android apps?
That seems nice on the surface, especially when Linux phones start to really take off (or, maybe, even help them to takeoff) but Android is Google and that alone would make me nervous as a squirrel in a dog park with no trees.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
marieno_01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marieno_01 »

Hello

I am Marie-Noële. I live in Switzerland and I have a laptop under Linux Mint since a few days. This is mostly a "lab" and "rescue" machine (if my main laptop ever fails), but it also means that it is important and that it must work reliably when I need it. I am happy to join a large community around this distribution.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”