Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martienne

Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by martienne »

I would really like to see if there are any female Mint users visiting or active here.
Say "Hi" if this applies to you!

I am a mixed bag European, currently in London. As of today 13 Nov I am taking my first steps in Linux, with trepidation.
duneelliot

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by duneelliot »

Another female here. While there are some of us, admittedly there aren't as many as there are guys (same on the other forums I frequent for some reason :roll: )

Welcome and Happy Minting.

How much of a techie person are you, and why are you, specifically, getting away from Windows? I'm always curious :D
martienne

Post by martienne »

Hi! Gosh, would never have guessed from your avatar!

I am not super techie, but I do build my own desktop machine and I am very good at Windows, comparatively. Have been a programmer briefly and now I work as a technical project manager.

Reasons for me to migrate: 1) Principle. Some evil corporation is not going to be allowed to steal my personal data and save it in the US, and share it with lord-knows-who.... 2) Support Open source. I believe in it, it's the way to go 3) A real techie should know Linux.

I should have done this a long time ago, was simply lazy and in the Windows comfort zone.
Plus, it's a matter of time. Doing a migration properly takes time. I decided to take the time this week.

What about yourself?
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

Yes, my avatar and name can be confusing...my avatar is the front cover of my first novel and DuneElliot is my pen name :D

Sounds like you're a little more techie than me, but I know what you mean with the Windows familiarity. I just started a small service and repair business in my home-town for basic stuff, cheaper than the bigger computer stores, for people on a budget who just need the basics done. I like the challenge.
I know the basics in HTML and CSS, and a little Javascript, and am trying to learn Python currently. I would eventually like to be able to work remotely for a tech company.

I still have one laptop with a dual boot for Win7 because I absolutely have to have Photoshop and Magix Video Editor for some of my work, but unless I am needing those I don't even touch that machine. I love Win7 but will never go to anything past that unless it's completely offline. I can run Photoshop in a VM but not Magix (something to do with the Virtual Box graphics emulator) so as soon as I can run that, I will remove the dual boot and only use Win7 in a VM.
Like you, I also have issues with the privacy settings and forced-updates that Win10 is pushing, and although it's part of the reason for switching to Linux, it's not the only reason.
martienne

Post by martienne »

I am definitely on the same wavelength as you... Photoshop will probably be the toughest loss, but like you, I am keeping a Windows drive. I am on 8.1 already and will probably do the upgrade to Windows 10 just so I know about it.

I am very used to iTunes - due to having a massive iPod (I just looove space) and I hope I can find some good replacement.

Other than that: I'm used to be the confident person who knows the answer to others' question. But in Linux I am the clueless n00b who sometimes can't even follow simple instructions. Humbling experience but I hope it won't last for long. Unfortunately for me, I am not a very fast learner.

So nice to hear about your new business. Sounds like it could be really rewarding / fulfilling if you can make it work financially. Working for a corporation can be incredibly angst and stress inducing. Brave of you to have a go at your own business. I really hope it goes well!
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

Photoshop works very well in a VM, so as long as you have a product key, you can keep Photoshop. Even GiMP which is good for a lot of people, just doesn't quite cut it for me with the amount and type of work I do with images (book cover designs, photo editing, graphic design etc).

The business (Viking Tech) is more just for side income (they cut our OT at work) and to keep my brain function after working 40 hours at a brain-dead job (which is also why I frequent forums :?

I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in soon too. Nice to have you here...sometimes it feels a little male-geek oriented :mrgreen:
Kath27

Post by Kath27 »

Hello ladies! I am a Windows XP refugee. Currently I am running Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and I love it for its ease of use. I am not much of a techie, but am not afraid to poke around inside a computer and work with different operating systems and software, so I maintain our computers. We still keep a Windows 7 box my husband needs for work, but I am happy never having to use Windows myself.
martienne

Post by martienne »

Kath27 wrote: I am happy never having to use Windows myself.
Kath27 welcome! :D That comment shows you are are role model for womanhood! Let your husband keep his Windows lol. I hope I can get to the same place you are in. Unfortunately I still have a Windows habit but am trying to quit.....
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

Hi Kath
XP was one of the last good Windows OSs (7 being the only other one). I'd love to get my hands on an XP install disk somewhere, but they seem to have disappeared (for VMs or for fixes).

I also have to use Win7 for work (or hobbies) but glad it's a choice, not a "have to because I'm stuck".
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

duneelliot wrote:I'd love to get my hands on an XP install disk somewhere, but they seem to have disappeared (for VMs or for fixes).
I still have a XP SP3 iso, it's in Dutch but the language can be changed.
And here you can buy one :
http://www.softwarebilliger.de/betriebs ... s-xp-home/
http://www.softwarebilliger.de/betriebs ... fessional/
martienne

Post by martienne »

Bolle1961 wrote:
duneelliot wrote:I'd love to get my hands on an XP install disk somewhere, but they seem to have disappeared (for VMs or for fixes).
I still have a XP SP3 iso, it's in Dutch but the language can be changed.
And here you can buy one :
http://www.softwarebilliger.de/betriebs ... s-xp-home/
http://www.softwarebilliger.de/betriebs ... fessional/
Surely we can get you one for free from bittorrent, if you are desperate. Just say...
You must of course promise be a good girl and pay the license, absolutely not use any of the hacks included... ;-)
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

As far as I know (including all the research) there is no way to download an XP ISO. It's either on an original disk or it's not.
The SP3 ISO I downloaded was an update ISO, not a full install.

Just hoping someone, maybe somewhere, has a full install disk they don't want that came with their computer (including the product key).
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
martienne

Post by martienne »

duneelliot wrote:As far as I know (including all the research) there is no way to download an XP ISO. It's either on an original disk or it's not.
The SP3 ISO I downloaded was an update ISO, not a full install.

Just hoping someone, maybe somewhere, has a full install disk they don't want that came with their computer (including the product key).
Duneelliot - PM me your email address
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

martienne wrote:I would really like to see if there are any female Mint users visiting or active here.
Say "Hi" if this applies to you!

I am a mixed bag European, currently in London. As of today 13 Nov I am taking my first steps in Linux, with trepidation.
Hi Martienne,

I am new to these forums and now see i should write a introduction.
But than i saw your post and just had to reply here first.....Hi, I'm Jennifer!

Nice to meet another female linux user on a linux forum, its quite rare....

Anyways, i'm off to write an introduction...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello hello! I generally don't call myself a lady, but I suppose this thread is for me since I'm a woman and a Mint user. I'm from the Netherlands, like Jennifer; I feel that Mint is getting popular here. I'm certainly doing what I can to make that happen since I like it so much myself!

I was one of those happy Windows users you hear about. Then Win10 happened. The rest is history.
I made the switch a few weeks ago, and my machine is still dual boot, but hasn't been booted in Win7 for weeks; another three months, and that partition will be made into useful free space.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
martienne

Post by martienne »

M0em wrote:Hello hello! I generally don't call myself a lady, but I suppose this thread is for me since I'm a woman and a Mint user. I'm from the Netherlands, like Jennifer; I feel that Mint is getting popular here. I'm certainly doing what I can to make that happen since I like it so much myself!

I was one of those happy Windows users you hear about. Then Win10 happened. The rest is history.
I made the switch a few weeks ago, and my machine is still dual boot, but hasn't been booted in Win7 for weeks; another three months, and that partition will be made into useful free space.
Good for you! Thanks for sharing your experience!
We are the 1% lol.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm hoping there might be more of us than that... if not now, then soon. Two of the people I got interested in Linux Mint are women! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

female here, there must be plenty more, i dont see why gender matters though.

i chose to trial linux with very little knowledge, about 4 1/2 years ago, completely cutting out Windows, and i never looked back. i learned as i went, each day geeking something, it was fun. i'm not interested in how computers work etc, i used to refer to myself as a GUI geek.

it does feel liberating to use linux, and to do some bash scripting, yet i did not feel trapped or burdened by being a Windows user before.
martienne

Post by martienne »

BlackVeils wrote:female here, there must be plenty more, i dont see why gender matters though.
Agree, it doesn't matter much here apart from as a curiousity and knowing you are not the only one.

But there are plenty of times it matters a great deal, imo! Examples: Bringing life into this world, Lifting a very heavy object in an emergency, Most aspects of home-making (let's face it -we do it better!), Bravery and kudos in a life-threatening situation like terrorist hostage taking in Paris (there are no chicks in the Spetsnaz, Foreign legion or SAS).
We couldn't make it without each other though!
Viva la diferencia! :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”