Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plainhat

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by plainhat »

Hi All! I'm kinda sorta a newbie. New to Mint. I was a hard-nosed Red Hat user for a couple of years nearly 20 years ago, then fell away. i dabbled for a month or so with Ubuntu about ten years ago, but this is my first time trying Mint. I'm hoping to resurrect this old Mac Pro 2009 tower as my media server and run Plex/Emby on it. So far it has been more stumble than success. Got the wireless to work thanks to folks here, but now I can't figure out how to get the server(s) to read my external drive.

Anywhoo.. nice t see so many other ladies around these parts!

I'm off to ask a bunch of stupid questions.. my excuse: When I'm not blond, I'm gray :roll: :lol:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you'll find some other gray types, about these parts,
- so there's some extra company.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Hi girls :D
My name is Marie, I living in Sweden and I'm 44 years old.... I am very new to Linux.. but I have pretty good windows skills and a lot of win-habits that are sabotaging my Linux thinking and learning.. so it's a slow and frustrating learning process. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have been a year in here, but only 5-6 months active Linux use on my laptop to try to learn Linux... observe the trying part.*hahaha* :lol:
I've been using Microsoft's operating systems and programs for 32 years. (got my first MS-dos computer when I was 12) And now when the last good windows edition dies (Win7 EOL 2020) I has to find a new operating system.. so Linux is the only choice when I don't like spying IT giants and I have a lot of PC machines at home..
So here I am. :mrgreen:
kind regards Marie
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
solanjie

Post by solanjie »

Howdy. Old hag here that is considering coming back to Linux. I started with Slackware in the nineties. Then RedHat for a long while. Played with Xandros for a bit as I had high hopes of a commercially successful Linux desktop at that time. Last distro I used was Ubuntu, probably around a decade ago. Got into the cell biz and had to make the jump to Apple as that was the equipment of choice for the company. Had a mishap resulting in severe head trauma and hoping a trip down Linux Lane will bring back memories and knowledge I once had as well as giving me some much needed enjoyment, Glad to see times have certainly changed for the better as there were very few ladies back in my day of loving Linux. I’m glad to see that there appear to be many here. :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Welcome Marie and Solanjie! It's great to have you around and we're glad you found us! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
maghdalenal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maghdalenal »

My name is Katherine Logan, but my hubby calls me Maghdalena, thus my username. I heard about Linux around 2006, and tried Mint for a while, but ended up not really using it all that much(I dual-booted with Windows XP at the time. Just wasn't ready yet, I guess.

Anyway, fast forward to 2017, I got a new computer, then found out that Windows 7 is nearing the "End of life". I was planning to get Windows 10, but then heard a lot of things about it I didn't like, and wasn't sure that our computer, a refurbished could handle Windows 10, and frankly, we didn't have the money to shell out for a Windows 10 license, so took another look at Linux-the Ubuntu-based versions, and once again settled on Mint. I have Mint in a Virtual Machine right now, and am finding substitutions for most of my Windows Programs except for PrintMaster 18, which runs fine on Windows 7, but not much with Wine (because of the needed .net framework 1.1 so will be dual-booting with Windows 7 on one hard drive, then getting another for Linux. Some things i plan to use Crossover or Play on Linux for my Journalling program and Scrivener.

I see I have a lot to learn, but am grateful I can use the AppImage for Scrivener(I'm going to be using it to write how-to books for publication on Kindle.

I've used the Terminal a little (I'm using 19.1 XFCE), and it's not as bad as I feared, so at least I"m not afraid of Terminal, lol. But I"m pretty much the closest thing to a computer geek in my home, since my hubby is pretty much computer illiterate. He can surf the Web, YouTube, and write e-mail, and working with the rough draft of a website in KompoZer, but that's about it. I'm usually one one he turns to for deciding which OS, issues, etc. Still so much to learn, though. Oh, I'm going to be turning 60 late this month, so no one is too late to learn Linux.

That's about it for now.

Thanks for letting me bend your ears.

Maghdalena Logan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Maghdalena Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome to all the new ladies. (from a bloke)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
skogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skogs »

maghdalenal wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 am most of my Windows Programs except for PrintMaster 18, which runs fine on Windows 7, but not much with Wine (because of the needed .net framework 1.1 so will be dual-booting with Windows 7 on one hard drive, then getting another for Linux. Some things i plan to use Crossover or Play on Linux for my Journalling program and Scrivener.

Maghdalena Logan
I shudder to mention this due to it being related to a 20+ year old publishing software product that is probably best left in the 90s where it belongs; but Winetricks makes it rather trivial to install even the most ancient .net 1.1 versions.
jchelpau

Post by jchelpau »

skogs wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:07 am I shudder to mention this due to it being related to a 20+ year old publishing software product that is probably best left in the 90s where it belongs; but Winetricks makes it rather trivial to install even the most ancient .net 1.1 versions.
PlayOnLinux also supports this kind of thing.

BTW if you want to test to see if Windows 10 works on your hardware you can download it and install it as a trial.
Not as convenient as a live CD and definitely not very helpful as it doesn't predict when Microsoft will drop support.
GinnieC

Post by GinnieC »

Hi everybody,

I have just loaded Mint Mate on my two legacy laptops - Thinkpads T430s and X201. Installation went without a hitch on both machines. Thinkpads are great and so is Mint!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello and welcome GinnieC! X201 is legacy already? Wow, now I feel old... that's my daily driver. :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello GinnieC Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
maghdalenal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maghdalenal »

skogs wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:07 am
maghdalenal wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 am most of my Windows Programs except for PrintMaster 18, which runs fine on Windows 7, but not much with Wine (because of the needed .net framework 1.1 so will be dual-booting with Windows 7 on one hard drive, then getting another for Linux. Some things i plan to use Crossover or Play on Linux for my Journalling program and Scrivener.

Maghdalena Logan
I shudder to mention this due to it being related to a 20+ year old publishing software product that is probably best left in the 90s where it belongs; but Winetricks makes it rather trivial to install even the most ancient .net 1.1 versions.
I didn't know you could install the .net framework 1.1. I've read that PrintMaster 18 and .net Framework 1.1 isn't supported on Windows 10, though. Windows 7 is the last Windows OS that supports that-barely. PrintMaster works pretty well on the Windows 7. I use it mostly for my holiday cards, however. It's never disappointed me, so I continue to use it. ;)
maghdalenal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maghdalenal »

jchelpau wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 am
skogs wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:07 am I shudder to mention this due to it being related to a 20+ year old publishing software product that is probably best left in the 90s where it belongs; but Winetricks makes it rather trivial to install even the most ancient .net 1.1 versions.
PlayOnLinux also supports this kind of thing.

BTW if you want to test to see if Windows 10 works on your hardware you can download it and install it as a trial.
Not as convenient as a live CD and definitely not very helpful as it doesn't predict when Microsoft will drop support.
I'm tempted to run it in VirtualBox to see if it will work. I have no idea if my hardware can handle it or not. I have Intel Core 2 Duo, but Mint works beautifully. With the CD live media it choked a little on Cinnamon, but I haven't tried Mate on the live media. I use XFCE with the VirtualBox on my Windows Host until I get my hard drive for Linux. I've rarely had a problem with it. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and I have found the Scrivener AppImage which works so...cool. Still willing to try Windows 10, just to see if it will work.
2hams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2hams »

Hello everyone. Glad to see many women. When I started software development in the mid 1970s there were few of us. I was fortunate to start working in a mini computer environment, which led to working in Unix environments shortly thereafter.

So it does not make sense that I've been working on Winwoes for the past few years, other than dreading the initial install/configuration. I'm sure once I get the drivers to install, I'll be fine. The only things I know for sure that I will probably want to run in Wine are RootsMagic genealogy software and the Adobe Digital Editions DRM software for checking books out of the library.

It is going to take me some learning to move away from the command line interface to use the GUIs.
Janesdf

Post by Janesdf »

Hi,

My name is Jane and I live in Dayton, Ohio, USA, originally from Brooklyn, New York, then lived in New Jersey for three years, then moved to Ohio in 2011.

I'm 62 years old and new to Linux Mint, about three weeks from being a Windows user, starting with Windows 3.1 right through to Windows 7. I was warned there is a learning curve with Linux, but Linux Mint 19 has been much easier than I thought and I am now using Linux daily and I am very comfortable with it, though I am sure there is more to learn.

Though Linux Mint is now my main OS, I still use Windows 7 on another pc for the few programs that I cannot find an exact or close enough match to in Linux Mint. I tried installing Wine, but it caused a number of errors, and I ended up having to format and re-install Linux Mint 19 Xfce from scratch. Otherwise, I am very happy that I switched over as MicroSoft will end Windows 7 support January 2020.

Due to problems that I continue to read about with Windows 10, I have absolutely no interest in it.

The Linux Mint Forum was extremely helpful to me in getting LM 19 installed on my pc, turns out I needed Xfce as it is an older pc. I actually have three pcs, one with Linux Mint 19 to try out, and I am sticking with. A newer pc (2016) which will continue to run Windows 7 for those few software programs that I need, and a third Windows 7 pc that I will switch over to Linux Mint 19 Xfce as well. I use that in my bedroom for streaming videos.

Thanks for providing this forum for former Windows users and helping us to learn and navigate Linux Mint.

Have a great day!

Jane
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hey Jane,
It's a pleasure to have you on board. I'm so glad to see that you persisted and are now happily running Mint. :mrgreen:

natch_gazziza

Post by natch_gazziza »

Hey Ladies! Decided to take the plunge a couple of weeks ago and build my own PC, It's exciting but also scary aha. I heard about Linux a while ago but my dad recommended it when I told him I was building a PC, he said it's much more stable. So far, no crashes (I get a crash every couple of weeks at least on my laptop, mainly just Youtube and some bad Python coding)! I think it's literally amazing that people from all walks of life said "we can do better" and decided to make an entire OS, with a whole suite of FOSS software for it. I still run a a separate M.2 drive for Windows, but only use it for gaming. That's pretty much me anyway, speak with you all soon!

Nicole
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Janesdf wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am I was warned there is a learning curve with Linux, but Linux Mint 19 has been much easier than I thought and I am now using Linux daily and I am very comfortable with it, though I am sure there is more to learn.
My partner is older than you and was "dropped" on to Linux Mint last year when Windows wiped everything during an update. Fortunately I grabbed all the data before it executed itself.

Yes, learning with the new system, where is the ON switch on this computer? I have also changed the desktop box (a faster one) and the usual Douglas Adams quote, "A black switch on a black panel that lights up black". Other than that one small thing she carries on as usual as all the programmes are the same and the desktop is a similar clutter though still easier to find things than in Windows.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”