Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WharfRat

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by WharfRat »

Hello muchagecko Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
SteveJWilson

Post by SteveJWilson »

I am not interested in programming. I like Linux because it is easy to use and does not mess you about like Windows does. It also handles my decrepit old laptop much better than Windows! I use the analogy of a motor car. I can drive but I let a mechanic deal with the technicalities. What is particularly nice about Mint is that there are so many helpful mechanics to hand that I have yet to need to ask a question.

BTW, there are women in the SAS. When the first 2 were announced to the press the usual parties went ape. They were silenced when a man who qualified in the same group declared that he would not have made it without the assistance of one of the women. (FYI, watching out for and helping your buddies is why the SAS is so successful.)
Elender

Post by Elender »

Hello!

I'm a new here and I really enjoy Linux Mint. :mrgreen:

I hope I'll learn a lot about it.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Elender Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

Hello everyone,
I'm a woman with a lot of passion for writing, blogging, making digital art (Gimp and Blender are my favourite), making music (LMMS, Audacity), You Tube videos and developing games (RPG Maker VXAce, Blender Game Engine). I'm also teaching myself python :lol: !

I don't know whether it was my consciousness sabotaging my laptop or just Windows 10 acting like Skynet, however, I had been thinking about switching to Linux for quite sometime but I
was waiting for the opportunity to buy a new laptop as booting from the Ideapad 100s 11iby seems virtually impossible (thanks to Windows's new legacy policy)... I tweaked my old Lenovo Ideapad 100s to do a lot of creative stuff but Windows update, completely overriding my will and my personal settings (Windows update and a lot of other services were DISABLED), managed to render my machine useless: I couldn't turn it on anymore.
To cut a long story short, I ordered a new laptop and told the guy I wanted Linux on it, I live in Cambodia, and never ever mention Windows to me again: I'm done!
After a couple of weeks, I also managed to reinstall the system on my old laptop with a bootable Windows media UEFI USB but I tried to install Linux on it to no avail. If you are reading this and know what I'm talking about, help me find a way to boot my old machine with Linux!

I forgot.. I also love computer games and for the past few years my heart has been into HOPA games. The art involved is superb and some of the sci-fi and horror stories are really great!
I love open source programs because I believe in a happy and friendly collaborative world rather than a competitive one! :D

In 2014, at the age of 46, I left my old "life" as a linguistic corporate trainer and cultural mediator in Europe, Italy to be precise, to embrace a life as a vegan nomad in Asia and focus my energy on what I truly love; this is my blog:
[https://everythingisamiracleblog.wordpress.com/]
Life is good and with Linux even better!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hi MiraclesHappen, welcome!
I don't have an Ideapad 100s, mine is an Ideapad S10, so that's a bit of a different beastie. It runs Mint XFCE very sweetly. Yours should be able to do that, too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums MiraclesHappen :)

I found this support topic on the Lenovo forums about your Ideapad 100s 11iby: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Disc ... -p/3367825. The problem would appear to be it has a 32-bit UEFI-only boot configuration. Normally you would just switch it to legacy boot to bypass that, but that doesn't work on this one. And UEFI normally is 64-bit. Anyway, there are some tips from other users on that topic to get it to work but it's a bit involved. If you need help with that make a new topic in the Installation & Boot section on our forum.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:46 am The problem would appear to be it has a 32-bit UEFI-only boot configuration. Normally you would just switch it to legacy boot to bypass that, but that doesn't work on this one. And UEFI normally is 64-bit.
Ah... been there done that, on an Acer. The trick was to manually add the 32-bits UEFI file to the USB before using it to boot the machine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
TechBoss

Post by TechBoss »

Hello!

I'm from Chicago, and I just installed Linux Mint 19.0 on my Microsoft Surface Pro. Right now I'm going through the start up tasks and processes like updates and the like. However, prior to installing Linux, I had plenty of practice with the program, so I'm not completely a newbie :)
laurel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laurel »

:D hiya Ladies,
im an aussie,rural
i used to do assembly electronics and cables some decades ago.
self taught fixit for mostly hardware but some user stuff in xp
not startling but enough to keep it working fix old ones and help(usually female ) friends sort their woes
new to linux but i really want/need to get to figure it out more
code stuff makes my ageing brain wanna melt though;-(
mint sarahs my first bearable to cope with experience
ubuntu freaked me out, linux for dummies DID made me feel pretty dumb;-)
have an old HP laptop with win 7 n mint mints the boot
I want to get comfy with mint on that before i turn the desktop over to linux (xp now)
glad theres a few of us here, I cant convince any female mates to even think about anything but Windows or fruitbatty opsys though.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TechBoss wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:12 pm I'm from Chicago, and I just installed Linux Mint 19.0 on my Microsoft Surface Pro.
laurel wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:04 am im an aussie,rural
i used to do assembly electronics and cables some decades ago.
Hi TechBoss and laurel! Welcome aboard, and we're glad you found us! :D

rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

sylvia2406 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 am I first tried several Linux distros about 10 years ago, and boy, what a slog it was in those days. I managed to get some of them up and running but found that I was only tinkering with them and not actually doing any work so I returned to Windows.

With the upcoming expiry of Win 7 and the miserable future offered by Win 10 I thought I would have another attempt at Linux.
I did some research, watched loads of YouTube videos, checked to see if I had compatible hardware and then decided on Linux Mint as my first choice.
Hello from sunny (sweltering) SoCal! It's been quite fun to read this entire thread. :D

The situation above describes my situation quite accurately except I don't like watching YouTube videos. In my case, it was mostly reading blog posts. I joined the LM forums last month but skipped the introduction and kinda jumped off the deep end with my first post. :lol:

It's certainly been a learning process. This time though, I can't just give up and go back to Windows. My only other option is to spend $$$$ on a Mac so definitely quite invested in getting Linux working well for me (albeit there's no avoiding Windows for my work). :)
NewtSoup
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NewtSoup »

Hi, I'm Ruth.

I'm new to Linux Mint but not to Linux in general. I was an Ubuntu FanGirl through 16.04 but when they suggested I upgrade to 18.04 oh my beans what a headache. It trashed my system so I ended up doing a backup and fresh install and the fresh install just kept freezing. I've not had to touch the reset button on my pc in years but after installing 18.04 I had to six times in one evening.

Suffice to say - as far as I'm concerned Canonical fumbled the ball and Mint Picked it up - it just works now, which is what I like.

About me - 48 year old gamer girl going on 18. Lone parent, Sci-Fi fan, currently binge watching X-Files.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

NewtSoup wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:59 pm Hi, I'm Ruth.
Welcome aboard, Ruth.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
NewtSoup
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NewtSoup »

Once again, thank you Catweazel :)
twokatmew

Post by twokatmew »

Hello, I'm Margaret.

I've got Linux Mint 19 running in VirtualBox on Windows 10, and I really like it. I'm hoping to leave Windows behind eventually, but I've been using Quicken since the late '80s, and I use Lightroom and Photoshop for my photo editing. I'm investigating alternatives to LR & PS, but I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the functionality of Quicken. Years ago I used Unix at work, and I've dabbled with Linux over the years, so it's fun to see how much I remember -- more than I thought I would! :D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Margaret (twokatmew), & all ladies that are new to the forum.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

There are very good alternatives to using Quicken, like KMyMoney, Home Bank, Scrooge, etc...

Previous Posts in Linux Mint Forums with accounting and other related topics
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author_id=133403

There are also many superb photo editing options and many posts on this in this forum.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author_id=133403

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

twokatmew wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 pm Hello, I'm Margaret.
Hi, Margaret. Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hello girls,
all welcome to the forum.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi ,margaret, from a bloke...now I'll get out of here before the other ladies find me...:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Introduce Yourself”