Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duneelliot

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by duneelliot »

martienne wrote:
BlackVeils wrote:female here, there must be plenty more, i dont see why gender matters though.
Agree, it doesn't matter much here apart from as a curiousity and knowing you are not the only one.

But there are plenty of times it matters a great deal, imo! Examples: Bringing life into this world, Lifting a very heavy object in an emergency, Most aspects of home-making (let's face it -we do it better!), Bravery and kudos in a life-threatening situation like terrorist hostage taking in Paris (there are no chicks in the Spetsnaz, Foreign legion or SAS).
We couldn't make it without each other though!
Viva la diferencia! :D
I think martienne has a point...curiosity. It's also because some times, as a female, you feel a little outnumbered by the guys especially in geeky circles such as this forum. Many of the guys here have so much experience and knowledge to learn from, but because they are guys they view things (solutions, instructions) in a slightly different manner. As such, it is nice to have a female perspective on things sometimes.
martienne

Post by martienne »

One thing that you often noticed with girls, is that we often go out of our way to say how little we know etc. Not all women, there are exceptions.

With guys, it can often be the other way. I don't know how many times I've come across some guy who tells you what's what.. Then after a while you realise that he was guessing at best.

I've actually had problems with this at work. I.e. I've admitted that I don't know something, or have limited experience. Meanwhile some guy is rattling on like he's a pro. People lose confidence in me, and think he is the real deal. A few months later it is discovered that this wasn't the case, and I realise that in fact, I know more about xyz than he did....

Often the male attitude pays off better though. The guy learns while he's doing it, and manages not to mess up too badly. Nobody is any the wiser that he was faking it in the beginning. Whereas I passed up on an opportunity and he is now an expert for real.

Some gender psychology there.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh this is very true! I can't begin to count all the times that some bloke was spouting technotalk at me, and he sounded so confident that I believed him, and afterwards I found out that he was just parrotting something he heard somewhere and was either not true or not appliccable. Sometimes both.

And it's true the other way around as well. Just look at how many of us are very quick to say 'Oh, I'm not very technical at all, I've only built a computer... okay, maybe more than one. Okay yes, I've been a sysadmin for 25 years. No no no, I'm really not that technical!'

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

What i have found to be hilarious at times with men is that they often use abstract thought and everything needs to be logical while woman, or me atleast, often used intuition and feelings to get the job done.
The discussion that came from that made me laugh many times.
MintySauce

Post by MintySauce »

Hi

another lass here!

From the UK, old enough to know better and returnee to Linux after using a Chromebook and windows laptops for a while now.

Day job....work for the company that is McDonald's.....it pays the bills ok! Trained as a Marine Engineer otherwise

I use computers just to use them really, no techy knowledge but always willing to experiment with what works!

TTFN! :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hey Mintysauce,
Welcome ! That's a great username you've got there, I have to say.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
martienne

Post by martienne »

Mintysauce sounds cool! Welcome! :D

Also to Jennifer.... :D And what's the deal with Dutch people and Linux? This forum has so many Dutch people (I love them!) Is it the freedom-loving liberalistic blood in Holland making Linux irresistible to them.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Or the fact that linux is free :wink:
Btw. I'm also dutch
Jennifer W

Post by Jennifer W »

Hi Mintysauce, welcome to ofcourse....only a few more and the active female members will outnumber the lads!

I certainly hope that's the case Martienne!....and Hi!...some lovely topics you opened!

Hi Bolle!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

We've seen so many new members arrive lately... that's cool! Any women among them? That would be cool, too. If you're out there, speak up and be heard! :D

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Hi ladies,
Add another to the list. Didn't know this thread existed 'til now.

Well I've been around for, let's see. . . just over 4 months -still a very 'new' newbie and still feel like I'm in a playroom with the best of the legos :D.

duneelliot, you were one of the very generous and patient helpers who got me through installing Mint remember this? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=80 -or, mayhap one you'd like to forget? :) What an adventure!

Anyway, I'm still around, and from my posts you'll see I'm still getting into, and causing the wonderful peeps here all sorts of Mint trouble :D.

One remarkable and most fun thing I've observed since I began using Mint: I can no longer consider my computer as just a 'tool' to perform the tasks I [blindly] assigned it. Linux [Mint] does not just 'do as it's told'. 'click, enter, fix, done'! It's not Windows! Communicating with Linux means I've to understand how it will and should respond to my 'commands' so. . .

I have sternly encouraged a portion of the 90% brain power that's lazing around not paying rent to learn basic CL. In addition, I'm a regular on this forum -lots of info here; have already read a couple of Jonathan Moeller's beginner's guides; have Pjtor's site on speed search, and have a healthy list of 'Mint Reading' sites bookmarked.

So I'll say, Mint and I are getting on and slowly coming along. Our [Mint's and mine] next fun task is to find out what Conky is and how we can spruce up our desktop. The easy way of course. I'm not a techie. I don't know or write scripts unless it's my name in non-cursive handwriting.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hey xdicey! I've seen you around, for sure... looks like we both got into Mint around the same time.

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

How is it going for you M0em? I'm still with 17.2 Cinnamon. I see you upgrade to Rosa. How is it handling wifi -if you're wifi that is?
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's going just fine. The upgrade went smoothly, and I also upgraded to a newer kernel just yesterday. WiFi is still working as it should (I'm using my laptop's inbuilt WiFi adapter).

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

M0em wrote:It's going just fine. The upgrade went smoothly, and I also upgraded to a newer kernel just yesterday. WiFi is still working as it should (I'm using my laptop's inbuilt WiFi adapter).
Hmm, nice job!

My desktop wifi adapter is a bit wonky -drops the signal as it pleases even with some troubleshooting from this forum. So in the last hour or so I just ran a 50 foot ethernet cable directly to the computer until I feel up to tackling the problem again.

I plan to upgrade to 17.3 between now and March break. Giving myself time to learn a bit more with 17.2 :) .
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Honestly, the differences are pretty small. What you're learning now will still apply.

MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Here is another female taking her first Linux step sins a good week. I am from Belgium.
Was a windows user for a long time and wanted to take the step before but hesitated for the jump in the unknown :D
Now I am sorry I did not do it sooner.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

You'll love it MartineM. I'm 7 months in, still don't know a whole lot but know enough to not get into too much 'Mint trouble' as before.
Above all, the folks here are really pleasant, helpful and quite patient too. I once said the assistance that is given on this forum is so much better that any paid support anywhere.

I'm happy with Linux Mint. You will too. Welcome!
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Thank you and yes I already found out that people are helpfull an patient here. Had some tiny issues after install but there all solved now, while doing so I already learned my way around a bit. I learn fast :) and Linux is easy to use well everything is more logical lets put it this way. Better ordered.
Love to learn new things on the conputer and I am already sure I won't go back. It was time for a new challenge. Few programs I already was using begore such as firefox, thunderbird, Filezilla and Open office so so far I have everything I need. Just got to find me a good html/php editor but I am sure I will find one in the siftware manager somewhere.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Not a gal (so I hope you ladies don't mind me crashing the party) but MartineM, have you heard of/tried Atom? It's a nifty editor I use for nearly all of my coding.
Oh, and welcome to Mint! :)

Okay, that's it, I'll shut up now! :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Introduce Yourself”