Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
feainnewedd

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by feainnewedd »

Hey there, ladies! I'm new here and to Linux in general! I do like my Windows 10 rig, but I bought an old, secondhand laptop that can't handle Windows so I thought, why not give Linux a try? I used another distro before, but then my laptop started working and I decided to try Mint this time. Liking the experience so far.
sbryant1000

Post by sbryant1000 »

Hi, my name is Sandy and I am new to Linux. My old desktop computer (optiplex 755) has been running on windows 7 and now has decided to block my admin. sign in. was thinking I needed a new desktop and started looking at the least expensive ones. Windows 10 doesn't run well and these computers. In reading the reviews I read about how some were removing 10 and installing Linux. They talked about how much faster and even installing on OLD computers. What an interesting idea. So here I am with my old computer and just installed Linux on it. I know very little about computers and hope this forum will help me.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Sandy Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sbryant1000 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 pm Hi, my name is Sandy and I am new to Linux. My old desktop computer (optiplex 755) has been running on windows 7 and now has decided to block my admin. sign in. was thinking I needed a new desktop and started looking at the least expensive ones. Windows 10 doesn't run well and these computers. In reading the reviews I read about how some were removing 10 and installing Linux. They talked about how much faster and even installing on OLD computers. What an interesting idea. So here I am with my old computer and just installed Linux on it. I know very little about computers and hope this forum will help me.
Wow. It's been that long!

When I first started working for Dell, the 755 was the main business computer. All the way back in 2007.

It may be old, but they are solid machines. If they have inherited anything from Dell's heritage, you could get another 10 years out of it.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to Linux and starting with Mint. Here to learn and get help troubleshooting when things don't work right:)
V
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Vera, welcome on board! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
frosh

Post by frosh »

hi guys,

i'm new to mint but not to linux, used to use manjaro for the last couple of years. a few months ago i convinced a family member to try linux before buying a new machine and installed mint because it seemed like the least hassle for a skeptic. it really did wonders for that old pc and saved a lot of money. i was getting tired of using a rolling release and getting big updates all the time, so i switched over too. i gotta say, mint is much more agreeable with my aging laptop and i'm pretty stoked.

at the moment i only know how to solve little issues that i've specifically dealt with in the past, so i'm hoping to learn a lot more by joining this forum and getting a bit more involved in the community.

aside from linux, i love scifi, running and chocolate.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello frosh Image

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi frosh,
Welcome to the forum.
Many have migrated to Mint for the reasons you mention.

Enjoy and have fun.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

frosh wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm aside from linux, i love scifi, running and chocolate.
Three out of four ain't bad. 8)
Welcome to the forum!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
frosh

Post by frosh »

Three out of four ain't bad. 8)
:D

Thanks, y'all :wink:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I love running SciFI while eating Chocolate, does that count? :D Welcome!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

No, I'm not female (hope that is OK) but my partner's story might be of interest. She ran Win7 then upgraded(?) to Win10. It was mainly because of a Windows accounting package matching the accountant's software - MYOB. But that's another story of disasters. You pay for help or to have someone visit to help sort problems. She never had to pay because it was always their problem. It took them about 5 years to sort out v2011.

Back to Mint. A birthday present(?) of a hard disk. I installed it and it eventually had Mint 19 installed and setup the way I like to run things. But it wasn't being used... yet. However her Windows was soon struck again by update problems, this time the October update. I swapped disk cables making the Linux disk the default and copied over every bit of information I could find on the Windows disk.

It was now use Linux or nothing, nothing because Windows finally "sorted" itself out, reverting to Win7 and wiping every bit of data it could find on its disk.

Accounting is now cloud based so that's fixed and her computer is now reliable and dependable with Linux Mint. No loss of screen drivers every month and other stupid Microsoft stuff-ups.

The software she usually runs, mainly, is Firefox and LibreOffice. So no change there from what had always been used. Music software? The same free one as on a Windows machine. Converting mp4 to mp3, couldn't be easier. Scanners, printers, no problems, they simply work as expected.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Welcome RollyShed, Mint success stories are always nice to hear!

Susan365
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Susan365 »

Another girl!
I have been using mint for about 5 years now. I refused to deal with win8.
I learned how to download it myself with a lot of sweat and tears but well worth it.
I have converted my husband and 3 of my girlfriends, all of us are seniors.
Susan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Susan Image

Susan365 wrote:I have converted my husband and 3 of my girlfriends, all of us are seniors.
All would be welcome :wink:
xena4me

Post by xena4me »

Senior citizen here--just got Mint and am trying to figure it out.
Guess in a few weeks, it will feel normal.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello xena4me Image

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The Mint forums are receptive and diverse----doesn't seem to matter who, what, or where you are, ladies, gentlemen, girls, boys, seniors, or whatever--we all homoginize here with a dedicated purpose of digital freedom.
It's an honor to be among you
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Well said all41 even if i am a bloke. Welcome to all the new ladies here
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Introduce Yourself”