Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ent_wife

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by ent_wife »

Hi,

Saying hello and hoping I can learn something from you all.

I have had "install dual boot on the laptop" for an embarrassingly long time. Finally, success! So far I have been delighted with how easy it was to install Linux Mint. (The first time I installed Linux, decades ago, it bricked the machine and I had very little way of figuring out how to fix it. It was difficult being the teen girl asking for Linux help, particularly installing where I could not hide behind the screen. I am more knowledgeable and confident now!)

In my day job, I appreciate the software development arts; I read and write about programming languages, compilers, developer environments, and related. I live on the US west coast. My username reflects my love of trees, forests, and the tree men (Ents).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Welcome sylvia2406 and ent_wife! Glad you found us. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

ent_wife wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm My username reflects my love of trees, forests, and the tree men (Ents).
Hi back.

Re the quote, presumably also of Tolkien?
Phylly

Post by Phylly »

Hello. Haven't been around for a while, as most things were working fine, or I eventually figured them out. But am coming up with new problems, so thought I should get back and get some help.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Phylly, welcome back! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Hi everyone. I'm Stephanie from Ontario Canada. I have to admit that I am a Mac Addict, but have come to love Mint. I had tried in vain to dual boot and single boot Mint on my old 2008 MacBook Pro, and while I got it working, something always happened to crash the system. I then turned to one of my MacMini's and it dual boots MacOS and Mint without any problems (Happy Dance)...

I also tinker with 2 Raspberry Pi 3B's. I don't have much in the way of lending a hand or providing advice as I tend to use the "Brute Force" method of doing things (Beat it till it works) and mainly because I'm a novice as far as Linux is concerned. Currently, I'm using a rather large hammer beating 'rsync' and my Synology Router into submision :D The important thing is that I'm glad to be here, in what seems to be a great community.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Stephanie, we're glad that you're here, too! Mac addict, you say... well, no one's perfect. :lol:

MintiFresh

Post by MintiFresh »

Hey y'all!

So glad to know that there's a forum for Linux Mint and specifically this lil area for ladies.

I made a mistake nearly a year ago by purchasing a small, non-Net/Chromebook laptop. I naively believed I could have the minimal amount of programs I wanted - just MS Office and a VPN and a virus program with Windows 10. Well, nearly a year later, I can't even perform my first update for Windows 10, even with uninstalling pretty much everything I wanted to have. I've thought off and on over the years I've thought about switching to Linux, but as I'm self taught in what little I know, it's only now that I'm ready to commit.

Not sure what else to say in intro. I'm just happy to be here, but I'm going to the newbie forum to post my problem.

Cheers!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello MintiFresh Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
MintiFresh

Post by MintiFresh »

Thanks WharfRat! :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintiFresh wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:09 pm Thanks WharfRat! :)
Hi, and welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I am not a lady, but welcome, anyway.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Welcome to Mint and the Community. I'm new to this as well. Learning slowly and it's a great place to hang out :)
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

MintiFresh wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:48 pm Hey y'all!

So glad to know that there's a forum for Linux Mint and specifically this lil area for ladies.

I made a mistake nearly a year ago by purchasing a small, non-Net/Chromebook laptop. I naively believed I could have the minimal amount of programs I wanted - just MS Office and a VPN and a virus program with Windows 10. Well, nearly a year later, I can't even perform my first update for Windows 10, even with uninstalling pretty much everything I wanted to have. I've thought off and on over the years I've thought about switching to Linux, but as I'm self taught in what little I know, it's only now that I'm ready to commit.

Not sure what else to say in intro. I'm just happy to be here, but I'm going to the newbie forum to post my problem.

Cheers!
I'm happy to see you found your way to Linux Mint. Xfce is ideal for older/weaker systems, such as the one you describe in your post. Even still, I use it on powerful desktops because I find it much easier and more predictable to work with than Cinnamon.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
anjomor

Post by anjomor »

Hey, there ladies, my name is AJ and I am the latest in this community. I work as web developer by day and a full-time mother of a very handsome Pomeranian. I am so glad to be a part of this forum and I am looking forward to being friends with you all.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello AJ Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello, Anjomor, welcome aboard!

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

anjomor wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:03 pm Hmy name is AJ
Hello, and welcome!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
muchagecko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by muchagecko »

Wish I had found this site before I started installing and adding stuff to my laptop. I've spent my career in Windows and Mac OS. Anti-virus & Anti-Malware seem to have messed up my system. Old habits break hard, right?
I'm considering a fresh Mint install to clean up all the mess I've made.
I'm a noob and female.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

muchagecko wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:57 pm Anti-virus & Anti-Malware seem to have messed up my system. Old habits break hard, right?
I'm considering a fresh Mint install to clean up all the mess I've made.
I think you will find that most Linux users don't use any anti-virus or anti-malware. I've been using Linux with no anti-virus or anti-malware for 16 years, and never been infected with anything. Nor can I think of anybody I know who has been infected. I won't say that it can't happen, but I'll say that I don't know of it ever happening. Welcome to Linux Mint!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Introduce Yourself”