Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux-Is-Best

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by Linux-Is-Best »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:12 pm
Linux-Is-Best wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:05 pm This post serves only as a means to keep my account active.
That's very nice... now that you're here anyway, you might as well say hello, right?
If I must. I guess that the best way you can understand the type of person I am is to know my thoughts on the 'Linux way'. Allow me to share a post I made elsewhere....

Can we please talk about code and not philosophy? Folks are working with a binary system. Not trying to form or be indoctrinated into a religion.
  • Can you do it? YES.
  • Will it harm the system? NO.
  • Will you answer my question with an actual working solution? NO.
  • Why not? It is not the Linux "way".
Learning Linux was always made so frustrating as a newbie because often the things I wanted for my (own personal) system was not defaulted out of the box. You think a community whose ideology was to promote creativity and user independence would be open to new ideas or ways of doing things. You have whole sites, blogs, groups, forums, and threads dedicated to customizing and improving the Linux experience. Yet when someone truly thinks a little more outside the box the negativity and backlash cannot be denied.

The often misconception on why newbie inquires seem so cryptic is that they do not know enough to explain what they're trying to do. I propose an alternative viewpoint (based upon a collective shared experience). A lot of those folks know exactly what they're trying to do. They just don't want to get into a debate about doing it.

Advance Linux users are some of the biggest gatekeepers I know.
  • Can it be done? YES.
  • Will it harm the system? NO. Here is how you do this...
That should be the Linux "way". A philosophy of inclusion would go a long way into incorporating more folks into adopting Linux. Linux is an operating system and should not be maintained and gatekept as if it were a cult. Allowing people to find and discover their (own) way and share their way is what open source is all about.
ylva_li

Post by ylva_li »

Hi!
I use Linux Mint Cinnamon for a few years now, as end-user. This worked fine up until now...
Since we are all in quarantine at the moment, naturally my laptop decided to make my life more difficult. Therefore I have to rely on you all to help a panicked noob out.
Because guess who did not make a backup? Yep. :|
APSchmidt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by APSchmidt »

martienne wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:57 am I would really like to see if there are any female Mint users visiting or active here.
Say "Hi" if this applies to you!

I am a mixed bag European, currently in London. As of today 13 Nov I am taking my first steps in Linux, with trepidation.
Hi,

I'm new to these forums.

I've been using Linux Mint since last February, after Microsoft no longer supported Windows 7. I kept Windows because I have software that cannot run in Linux and I don't want to use either WINE nor VirtualBox. :)

I am above 60 and I live in Paris, France.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'll hop in and welcome the new ladies, from a Bloke! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Luxxxbella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luxxxbella »

What a super nice post this is! So many smart ladies here! My respect to all of you

I'm no lady, but here goes nothing :mrgreen:

I'm 34, I'm from Argentina and after working almost 10 years in IT (tech support, command center operations, then business process analysis) I switched careers to journalism.

Ater a robbery episode, I was left to work in a really old and tired laptop whose Windows kept crashing on me, so with the help (but mostly moral support) of a former coworker I'm finally back in Mint.

I'm also a member of the LGBTIQ+ community, but I'll leave a mistery as to what letter/s apply to me :lol:
There is no knowledge that is not power
-----------------------------------------------------
CPU: Quad Core Intel Pentium N3540 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 500/500/2666 MHz
Kernel: 5.4.0-40-generic x86_64 Up: 5h 02m Mem: 1473.2/3809.5 MiB (38.7%)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Luxxxbella, I'm so glad to have you on board!
Yeah, 'ladies' is a term with its own baggage... personally I would have gone with 'women', oh well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Welcome, Luxxxbella, from another member of the LGBTIQ+ community (Lesbian Transwoman).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Luxxxbella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luxxxbella »

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Moem wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 am Yeah, 'ladies' is a term with its own baggage... personally I would have gone with 'women', oh well.
I was mostly kidding, since I've been called "unladylike" for so long :mrgreen:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 am Welcome, Luxxxbella, from another member of the LGBTIQ+ community (Lesbian Transwoman).
Hi there! Out of the closet then! I'm an Enby ACE (Non-Binary asexual).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Luxxxbella wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:01 pm ...
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 am Welcome, Luxxxbella, from another member of the LGBTIQ+ community (Lesbian Transwoman).
Hi there! Out of the closet then! I'm an Enby ACE (Non-Binary asexual).
Yeah, closets are for clothes (and skeletons?), not people. I've been fully out since 01/06/97.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Luxxxbella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luxxxbella »

That's amazing!! You're a pioneer!!! :heart:

In Argentina we've had a gender identity law since 2012, and I still met a lot of trans sisters not daring come out in the IT workplace even today :? Back in 1997 the trans fight was about not getting arrested for basically existing. I can only imagine.

So, thank you for daring to be you, and very nice to meet you too!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Luxxxbella wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 pm That's amazing!! You're a pioneer!!! :heart:

In Argentina we've had a gender identity law since 2012, and I still met a lot of trans sisters not daring come out in the IT workplace even today :? Back in 1997 the trans fight was about not getting arrested for basically existing. I can only imagine.

So, thank you for daring to be you, and very nice to meet you too!
I suspect things were a lot better for us here in the SSA (Squabbling States of America) than down in Argentina.
Jeannie

Luxxxbella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luxxxbella »

Ah yes, I wasn't so much comparing as... just sharing I guess.

Sorry, I'm actually kind of shy and haven't posted in forums for years. I really did not see this conversation coming :lol:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You "ladies" (in the broadest sense of the word) should be congratulated for being who you are, not because of any preconceptions. I take people as I find them, and could care less whether you are male/Female, or anything in between. As long as you don't try and rub my face in it (and that matters not whether they are heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual or any other sexual you can imagine). I am a hetero male, but I am proud to know you lot!
Fully mint Household
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

lsemmens wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:30 am You "ladies" (in the broadest sense of the word) should be congratulated for being who you are, not because of any preconceptions. I take people as I find them, and could care less whether you are male/Female, or anything in between. As long as you don't try and rub my face in it (and that matters not whether they are heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual or any other sexual you can imagine). I am a hetero male, but I am proud to know you lot!
Thank you! The world would be a much better place if more people were like you!

Btw, was "broadest" intended to be a pun? :wink:
Jeannie

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:16 am
lsemmens wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:30 am You "ladies" (in the broadest sense of the word) should be congratulated for being who you are, not because of any preconceptions. I take people as I find them, and could care less whether you are male/Female, or anything in between. As long as you don't try and rub my face in it (and that matters not whether they are heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual or any other sexual you can imagine). I am a hetero male, but I am proud to know you lot!
Thank you! The world would be a much better place if more people were like you!

Btw, was "broadest" intended to be a pun? :wink:
:D untended, but it was a good one! :D
Fully mint Household
[J]

Post by [J] »

Hi Everyone,
I'm a 72 year old woman who just downloaded Mint and discovered just how tech UNsavvy I am. I'm usually the person friends call on to solve their computer issues (Windows) but I got fed-up with Windows and now I just feel overwhelmed with Linux. Well, actually, Mint is relatively easy but there are questions that come up and I don't know enough Linux terminology to either pose a question or understand if I do get an answer. I don't intend to give up but sure hope it gets easier!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

[J] wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:33 pm Well, actually, Mint is relatively easy but there are questions that come up and I don't know enough Linux terminology to either pose a question or understand if I do get an answer.
Give us a try, we may be able to surprise you, in a positive way. Welcome!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
melian

Post by melian »

----- deleted ---
Last edited by melian on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
amira

Post by amira »

Hi
My name is Amira.
It's my first day using Mint.
I really enjoy it but I'm sure there's a lot to learn.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

amira wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:26 am I really enjoy it but I'm sure there's a lot to learn.
Hello, there is, but no worries... there's no need to do it all at once, you can go at your own speed (and as far as you want). Welcome!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”