Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by JTemple »

Hi, I am female and 62 years young. I have been using computers before the days when the internet took off. My first machine was an Apple 2C. I am just starting to get involved with Linux Mint. (A machine will arrive in a few days and I have downloaded the Mint Cinnamon 64 bit , 19.3. I have invited my more technically advanced son to come for a visit and help me make the switch to Mint. I thought it wise to sign up here for the sake of learning all that I can about installing and using Linux.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello and welcome JTemple! You'll learn lots here; just read along, and ask questions of your own as often as you need. There is no extra charge for starting new topics, it's all included in what you already paid when you signed up here. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:35 pm ...There is no extra charge for starting new topics, it's all included in what you already paid when you signed up here. :wink:
:lol: That's good to know. When can I get a refund on the amount extra I was charged? :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm afraid that is completely canceled out by the smartypants tax you just earned yourself! :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:43 pm I'm afraid that is completely canceled out by the smartypants tax you just earned yourself! :lol:
Whaa...? :shock: After that reply, you call me a smartypants?

I'll have you know that I'm a full fledged sagacious donkey! :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
maewell

Post by maewell »

Hello girls,
I'm glad that there is many of us using the mint solutions. Not to feel an alone girl in a still masculine area, is good to feel.
I am 32, from France. I am new in linux.
I have installed Mint in a reconditioned tablet of 2015, because I was looking for speed. ( and windows 10 was to intrusive and not flexible for me)
I have the project to create my own business, and to use mint in this. Because I like the "free" and legal aspect. Hope my business will do well to let me donate for linux!
Welcome to all the newbies like me, and hello to the "older ones" that have already mastered Linux!

Mae
minquiry

Post by minquiry »

Hi everyone! I'm writing from my little spot in Oakland, California. I'm 52 and have also been using computers for a long time, but avoiding making this switch has been a great source of procrastination for me of late ;). And well, now is this is the time to make it happen. Glad to know you all are here and to be in your company!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

minquiry wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:53 pm Hi everyone! I'm writing from my little spot in Oakland, California.. And well, now is this is the time to make it happen. Glad to know you all are here and to be in your company!
Welcome Aboard! :D
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
korrakeala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by korrakeala »

Hello from Buenos Aires, Argentina! 34 y/o baby software developer here, finally migrating from Windows to Linux. So, double noob. I've spent some time on this forums sorting things out for work (that's where I started using Mint) but now I'm trying to install at home and it's not going smoothly, hence my registration. But that's material for another post.

Just wanted to say hi and thank you so much to all the generous beings who selflessly help people around here :)
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

korrakeala wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm Hello from Buenos Aires, Argentina! 34 y/o baby software developer here, finally migrating from Windows to Linux.

Just wanted to say hi and thank you so much to all the generous beings who selflessly help people around here :)
Glad you decided to come out of lurking! Welcome! :D
MartinaScara

Post by MartinaScara »

Ciao! I'm Martina from the South of Italy.
I'm stuck at home because of COVID-19 and about a week ago I couldn't stand anymore the evil W10 so I grabbed an USB pen and changed my OS by myself for the first time... nothing exploded :lol: now I'm a happy Linux Mint user.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MartinaScara wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:01 pm Ciao! I'm Martina from the South of Italy.
I'm stuck at home because of COVID-19 and about a week ago I couldn't stand anymore the evil W10 so I grabbed an USB pen and changed my OS by myself for the first time... nothing exploded :lol: now I'm a happy Linux Mint user.
Good for you!

Welcome and stay safe. I do hope Italy passes this crisis very soon. You people have been the hardest hit, that I know of. Iran is also get a rough ride of it. Here, Canada is fairly OK for now and we are trying, hard to stay on top of things.

You will love this forum! I find if I think my question is silly, I just search the forum and can most often find answers without exposing my ignorance. I am on my 4th day with Linux. Every one said there would be a big "learning curve". I procrastinated for 2 years! When I finally made the change I was amazed at how easy it was to figure out where every thing is and how to set things up in a way I am very happy with. It all seems like W10 suddenly decided to ditch all the bugs and glitches! My desk top looks very much as it always has!
BudkaSuflera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BudkaSuflera »

Hello, I am another newbie here. I have been sporadically using Ubuntu for about 8 years, but mostly using Windows :( I got fed up with Windows when they quit support for Windows 7. I planned to switch to Ubuntu full-time, until I discovered Mint. So now I have been using Linux Mint full-time since the beginning of March and I wonder why I did not do it long time ago.... And I am another female.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello BudkaSuflera Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
8isyellow

Post by 8isyellow »

Hello from NY! I am 20 years old, I used to be a computer science major but quickly realized that formalized programs took all the fun out of messing with computers, so now I'm pursuing a sociology degree and keep the tech stuff as a hobby. It's nice to see this thread, I was certainly outnumbered during my time in the computer science department. I am sadly posting from Windows right now, since I had to uninstall Mint for the moment, but I already miss it. At least with Mint I didn't have to wonder why my cooling fan sounds like a jet engine when the only program I have open is Firefox. I've posted a bit on this forum already and I really appreciate how helpful everyone is, not all corners of the internet are so willing to explain things patiently and clearly.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Welcome! :D You've come to a good place.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome all the new ladies, from a bloke. (I do keep an eye on this thread, but don't want to hijack it being a lady friendly zone. :D)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:44 am Welcome all the new ladies, from a bloke. (I do keep an eye on this thread, but don't want to hijack it being a lady friendly zone. :D)
We ain't sexiest here and it's always nice to feel welcomed, no matter who is putting the mat out.
Linux-Is-Best

Post by Linux-Is-Best »

My old account must have been deleted for lack of activity. I think I only posted 3x in 4 years. I lurk. I lurk a lot. And we should all be thankful that I lurk.

This post serves only as a means to keep my account active.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Linux-Is-Best wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:05 pm This post serves only as a means to keep my account active.
That's very nice... now that you're here anyway, you might as well say hello, right?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”