Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by Moem »

Hej da December, welcome aboard! Glad to hear your Mint experience is smooth so far.
As they say, readers will save the planet! As soon as we finish just one more chapter... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fiona_OHanlon

Post by Fiona_OHanlon »

Hi. My name is Fiona and while I am no "guru" I have been using Linux Mint xfce 64 bit on my AWS for the past 6 years. Sarah is now my go to OS for everything; I would run it on my Android phone if ATT would let me unlock it. :) I am an instructor in English at a major SW American University where I evangelize for encryption, linux and penetration testing. LOL
I am not well liked by my students who find me a bit stodgy. I served in the military where I was taught radar and radio repair. I built my first Imsai 8080 in about 1974, loading programs into ram with a paper tape reader. I received issues of Byte in mimeograph form while at sea. I <3 LM. Fi
jduvall

Post by jduvall »

Greetings, so loving Linux Mint 18 Xfce, so grateful Linux Dev's worked so hard to make it easy to install, and escape Win10, and MicroSoft...
sailaja

Post by sailaja »

Hi there,
Iam sailaja,
Iam a newbie in this forum.I want to join with you in your conversations and this is my First post.
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

martienne wrote:I would really like to see if there are any female Mint users visiting or active here.
Say "Hi" if this applies to you! ...
Hi,

This applies to me; just installed Linux Mint; I had no idea that it would look like Ubuntu that much. Now I need to get used to it. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello ladyonthemoon! Which flavour of Mint did you install?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism »

I'm a girl, but I didn't want to post here, since I don't want to come over as "I'm female, so I'm everything, and you're nothing"-kind of person.
But I decided to post here anyway, just for your collection. (^_-)-☆
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

Moem wrote:Hello ladyonthemoon! Which flavour of Mint did you install?
18 Sarah Cinnamon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ladyonthemoon wrote:18 Sarah Cinnamon
And it looks a lot like Ubuntu? That surprises me, I've used Ububtu once and the Unity desktop environment didn't feel intuitive to me at all, while Cinnamon fits me like a glove.
How are you liking Mint so far?

ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

Moem wrote:
ladyonthemoon wrote:18 Sarah Cinnamon
And it looks a lot like Ubuntu? That surprises me, I've used Ububtu once and the Unity desktop environment didn't feel intuitive to me at all, while Cinnamon fits me like a glove.
How are you liking Mint so far?
When I say that it looks like Ubuntu, I don't mean Unity looks like Gnome. :) Linux Mint looks very much like Ubuntu before Unity and reminds me of Ubunty Gnome, the distribution. ;)

I do like it but I have drivers problems which prevent me to use it for now. I'm posting this from W7.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ladyonthemoon wrote:When I say that it looks like Ubuntu, I don't mean Unity looks like Gnome. :) Linux Mint looks very much like Ubuntu before Unity and reminds me of Ubunty Gnome, the distribution. ;)
Thanks for explaining. I've never used any pre-Unity Ubuntu. Hope you can get your driver problems straightened out soon!

December

Post by December »

As you're on the topic right now, where can I read about the differences in MATE and Cinnamon, in an easy way? I've read some about it but I didn't understand most of it. :oops:
chiyo

Post by chiyo »

Hello fellow ladies :)

I have come to expant the tribe! I used Ubuntu from around 2009-2012 and then when I got a new Thinkpad w530 I decided I missed gaming too much (none of the games I wanted to play I could make work on Ubuntu- despite trying very hard for a long time.) and so I got rid of the windows 8 it came with (I hated it) and installed Windows 7. But over time I stopped playing PC games as much as consoles and I stopped caring about that, and seeing as that was my ONLY reason for going to Windows I came back to Linux and I will never leave again! Honestly I like linux because of the principles, open-ness, and ability to configure everything JUST SO, so I kind of felt like a bad person using Windows for the games lol.

I think i would consider myself advanced on Windows but probably intermediate on Linux. I need to learn much more bash. I am glad to be here :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Chiyo! Welcome, you sound more advanced than I am, for sure :D

chiyo

Post by chiyo »

I doubt it. I probably should have said I'm a novice to Linux because now that I've been away from it I find I am needing to re-learn everything :)

Getting into it again is making me wish I went into programming for my career though. I heavily considered it but let my hatred (not inability...) of math stop me. I really like learning about this type of thing. I noticed that a lot of the women in this thread have programming or other wise computer related jobs and I think that's really cool. Myself, I'm an English major in her last semester.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

No no no. You know some bash. I know zero bash. Doesn't matter, though, because Mint works fine for me as well as for my mother of 78! :D

chiyo

Post by chiyo »

Mint is super newbie friendly (not necessarily user friendly) like that. Mint is a cool distro because it opens the door to Linux for people who are unfamiliar with the terminal... kind of like the role Ubuntu played for me in 2010. It gives people a way to escape the tyranny of Windows without completely confusing themselves and not being able to use their computer during the learning phase. On the other hand this can be seen as a handicap because then it takes you longer to learn things, or in some cases one might never learn at all and continue to ask stupid questions every time they cant do something easily through the GUI, which I have seen happen a lot on Ubuntu and Mint forums but not QUITE as often on other distro forums I am familiar with like Debain and Arch.

While I plan on keeping Mint on a partition eventually I want Arch to be my main distro once I have it set up ~just so.~ I don't have a lot of time as a working college student so its a long term project for me, with the stable and easy Mint there for me in the mean time.
Randene

Post by Randene »

Big fan of Linux Mint, been using it for a number of years.
Presently using Mint 18 Cinnamon.
Will take it over any product offered by the "Evil Empire" any day.
Mint is user friendly, secure, and does what I want it to do.
Root13

Post by Root13 »

Oh, glad to see, there are so many girls here. Linux Mint - When gender doesn't matter)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Root13 wrote:Oh, glad to see, there are so many girls here. Linux Mint - When gender doesn't matter)
Welcome, Root13 - and interesting choice of names. "Root13" reminds me of the evil Root from "Person of Interest" - actress Amy Acker
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Introduce Yourself”