Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
MartineM
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by MartineM »

Thanks Fred and no, I never heard of it, I'll check it out tommorow thanks. Can I find it also in program manager?

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

No, you have to download it from the website:
https://atom.io/
You'd need to "Download .deb", then go to your Downloads folder and double-click atom-amd64.deb. A tool called Gdebi should pop up and walk you through installing Atom (it's only one or two clicks).

It's made by the chaps behind GitHub (if you're not familiar with it, it's a popular site for hosting open-sourced projects) and is very actively developed. :)

Oh, almost forgot: it's only for 64-bit computers. You can install it from source on 32-bit computers, but that's a little bit harder than simply downloading atom-amd64.deb and installing.
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Sun May 15, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Hi. I just found out that this thread existed. I'm a female from Missouri, in the united states if that makes a difference. I'm a long time windoze user (since 1998) I know not as long as others, but still, it's a while. This is my third venture into Linux, and I had to jump in two feet at once, backed up,said my fond good-byes to WinXp, formatted what used to be my C: drive and installed Linux Mint. Two months in, seems to run much nicer than MandrivaOne 2009, and Ubuntu 12.04.01, at least for me. I can run my online games and since I spent the time from my last Linux installation to get used to a lot more open source utilities and programmes, I wasn't nearly as lost as I could have been otherwise.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

MartineM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MartineM »

Fred Barclay wrote:No, you have to download it from the website:
https://atom.io/
You'd need to "Download .deb", then go to your Downloads folder and double-click atom-amd64.deb. A tool called Gdebi should pop up and walk you through installing Atom (it's only one or two clicks).

It's made by the chaps behind GitHub (if you're not familiar with it, it's a popular site for hosting open-sourced projects) and is very actively developed. :)

Oh, almost forgot: it's only for 64-bit computers. You can install it from source on 32-bit computers, but that's a little bit harder than simply downloading atom-amd64.deb and installing.
Thanks Fred, I have a 64 bit computer so that won't be a problem then.
I'll check it out today.

Edit: it is installed I'll check it out later.
Just in case, if I do not like a package I installed, how do I un-install it?
I saw you could immediately in the package manager but not after closing it.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

MartineM wrote: Just in case, if I do not like a package I installed, how do I un-install it?
I saw you could immediately in the package manager but not after closing it.
For Atom just open a terminal and type this in:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge autoremove atom
Type in your password when prompted and you should be good to go!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

MartineM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MartineM »

Thanks Fred,

I am trying Atom out and so far so good. :)

sindywoow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sindywoow »

Hi
My name is Siobhan, I've been using Mint since release 13. It is my main operating system. I've installed it on all the kids computers too. :D

sindywoow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sindywoow »

A bit more about myself:

Stay at home mum, from England, near London.

Worked as engineer in the 1980s for large car company. There I helped to set up databases and learned DOS when not messing about with car parts and big machines.

Built PCs since 1994 for home use. Mend all friends and neighbours machines and laptops.

Had an early Amstrad desktop and connected to the internet when it first became available. At the time it was dead slow - my first quarter bill was over £200 just on internet connection charges into London and all I managed to download was half a Pink Floyd screen saver for my hubby. lol

He moaned all the time about the charges.

Got totally fed up with windows, every new version brought more problems and it took hours to reinstall.

Began using an old version of Linux on a cd which I downloaded for fault finding on windows machines.

Switched totally a few years ago at release 13.

Hubby keeps a dual boot of xp for music production only. He mainly uses Mint and never allows xp to go online by unplugging ethernet connection. lol

Have severely autistic daughter who loves her computer. She is on Mint too. She really needs a reliable machine and if something goes wrong I just reinstall Mint which can easily be done in under half an hour.

In the past have built hackintosh machines.

astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by astroannie »

Hello all,

My first Windows was 7 (from Debian from OS/2 from DR-DOS). I had to use it for a class in Microsoft office apps (besides it came on my laptop so I dual-booted it with Debian and mostly booted Debian). Then when I got the new desktop, it was Win8 so I downgraded it and ... in the dead of night, while I slept peacefully unaware, ada (my computer) decided to upgrade to Win10. This Will Not Do. As I said in my intro post, I'm in college still and I will need to take a course in database design that features Access so I can't easily be rid of Windows just yet so I'm dualing. I'm finding speed bumps but so far not calling on someone to rescue me. I know gurus. I'm just trying to make this my project.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

astroannie, welcome again, and what a great avatar you have! Let us know if/when the speed bumps are starting to frustrate rather than challenge you, okay? :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

astroannie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by astroannie »

Okay, speed bump and I'm not sure where to post for help.

I want to mount a remote filesystem. I need to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab but I don't know how to give myself permission to do it. How do I add myself to sudoers? Or does Mint do it Some Other Way?

I'm not sure how to ask what I want to know, so searching for help has been a bit frustrating.

NVM: su me.
Last edited by astroannie on Fri May 20, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

astroannie wrote:Okay, speed bump and I'm not sure where to post for help.

I want to mount a remote filesystem. I need to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab but I don't know how to give myself permission to do it. How do I add myself to sudoers? Or does Mint do it Some Other Way?

I'm not sure how to ask what I want to know, so searching for help has been a bit frustrating.
There are several ways to mount remote filesystems. One of them is by means of Gigolo:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /reserve-6
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri May 20, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

astroannie wrote:Okay, speed bump and I'm not sure where to post for help.
The first user created during installation is automatically a member of the "sudo" group. To check, just enter the command: groups in a terminal.

Helpful links for mounting a remote filesystem
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Howdy.Image
I'm another un.
Goz is short for Gozzin,a fiddle tune I heard on National Public Radio years ago.
I've used various Linux distros (mostly Ubuntu based) for 12 years,starting with Linspire.
I have two Linux boxes,the Dell and the Revo. I mostly use the Dell which was
upgraded recently to have eight gigs of blazing power and my first SSD. 8)
Job; Slave to two house rabbits. Moderator at http://linuxinternationals.org/forum/index.php..Not that there is anything to ever moderate!
I don't think what chromosome set you have matters either,
but I keep that info on a need to know basis due to the Internet being what it is.
I'm in North Carolina in the states.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Nice, isn't it, to see so many Linux Loving Ladies? :D
(Normally I don't consider myself to be a lady, but I can't resist a good alliteration.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Guy here
don't mean to crash the party here either, I'll be quick
this is for martienne & duneelliot about art programs if you don't like gimp there is also Krita which is an excellent paint program and works fantastic with intuos tablets, I use gimp an krita for 99% of my work.
It's in the software center and you can check more out here: https://krita.org/
A half decent substitude for photoshop.
Just thought I would add that
have fun and welcome
running out the door now
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Lady Owl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lady Owl »

Hi Ladies! Just joined the forum, and unlike some, I don't find the word lady the least uncomfortable. :D

I can't even remember how long I have used Linux - maybe since 2000 or smth. Stuck with Ubuntu for years (originally my (now ex) boyfriend did all the maintenance for Slack etc, but later I've needed an easier distro), and two weeks ago I decided it was time for something new. Actually I had planned on updating on the new LTS, but it didn't show up and I got impatient.... decided it was time to try the live cd the came along a magazine last winter, and after trying 2 distros decided to settle on Mint.

I have to use windows at work, and I do have Windows on my laptop as dual boot, but I need it so seldom it is a pain in the arse - it takes a small eternity to run all the updates! Actually, I think nowadays it is mostly my beloved one using it every year to watch the ice hockey world championships, as he wants a certain commentator = certain paid channel, and via computer is the easiest way to get it for only that time... (a real chain reaction - his computer doesn't have hdmi -> needs mine :roll: ). If I had the energy, and time too, I'd try to learn how to make a HTPC with Linux, with all the necessary stuff to make it work with Finnish online tv services.

Oh, btw - it seems I may have managed to make him open to switching to Linux, too, and without doing much more than using it myself. Or maybe Windows has done the rest...
Linux user since don't remember when, Mint user since May 2016

Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

It's very possible Windows gave him a nudge..I get the feeling it has given a lot of people a nudge.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

mtnarts2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtnarts2 »

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Linux and attempting to make a DVD disk with Cinnamon 32 bit for my aging Emachine. Just a project to see if I can do it. I am a 63 year old woman who has recently retired as a RN BSN/Artist in Western Montana. I know Windows, Mac and Chrome. I want to expand my horizons and learn Linux. Wish my luck!

mtnarts2

December
Level 1
Level 1

Post by December »

Hullow,

I'm not too sure about the lady part, but I identify myself as a woman most of the time. Linux Mint and Linux is a new adventure and I'm enjoying myself immensely with every little thing I manage to make work. I installed LM 18 MATE and I thought I may try Cinnamon too when I'm confident enough in MATE to trash Windows 10. That may be sooner than I had anticipated, considering how smooth everything has gone this far.

I'm from south of Sweden and an avid reader of books where the title get more room on the cover than the authors name. I use Calibre to organize my books, both on my pc and in my reader. I was about to say "When I don't read" but that isn't fully true. I read while I play Sims 3 and World of Warcraft too... :lol:
There is a lot of down time saving games or just idling.
I know how to start my computer. (IEC 60417-5009)

Return to “Introduce yourself”