One Overly Happy New Guy- Please Read!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Greg2908
Level 1
Level 1

One Overly Happy New Guy- Please Read!

Post by Greg2908 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 am

Hello everyone! I am "Greg2908", from the State of Michigan, USA. I am fairly new to the Linux world. Please forgive me for my imperfections in writing this post, as well as how lengthy it is. I do realize that I am not a word smith and my grammar needs improvement. I have much to say, due to how proud and thankful I am with the Linux Team, and of all of you on these chats and forums, who have been so kind and helpful to me! I am just beginning to learn this stuff, and eager to learn more. I hope this post will be useful for feedback from me to you, and for encouragement to those who are "stuck" on Windows, and may feel too "dumb" to explore new territory with Linux for their machine(s), and to let them know that they are NOT too "dumb" to move forward to better things. If I can do it, so can you! If you can read/write and follow sound advise and directions, you can do this! The following paragraphs describe my non-technical and my personal and true experiences, opinions and views.

I have an old Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop "Business" machine, manufactured in 2007. I have upgraded the machine's RAM "memory" from 2 GB to 4 GB, the HDD from 80 GB to 500 GB, a DVD/CD ROM (burn capable) optical drive, a WI-FI PCI card, an SD card reader, and updated the System BIOS and Chipset, as well as the Graphics driver(s), to the most recent possible, from Dell's Support site online. The machine had Windows XP Home on it from the factory (no good nowadays). Whoever owned this machine before me had "upgraded" to Windows 10 Home. The "upgrade" to Windows 10 had issues, likely due from an improper installation from the previous owner, who may not have known what he/she was doing (???), or the "upgrade" was forced by Microsoft, and something went wrong (???). I'm not sure which. I have carefully and painstakingly, done a complete tear down of this machine, including the power supply, CPU heat sink, fans, etc., and I cleaned everything I could find with a toothbrush and Q-Tips, and reassembled the machine. NO, I didn't kill my machine, lol. It was extremely dirty inside of everything. Sure, this is not the the best machine on the market, however it is what I have on hand at this time. I have grown to like this machine very much. I am not a gamer (as of yet, but I'm getting interested). I enjoy Office software for various reasons (Windows 10 makes you purchase the Office software now). I currently don't do much with my machine outside of Office, surf the Web, watch Youtube videos, use Facebook, and check my email, etc.. My machine seems to work really good for the "basic" or "novice" stuff I use it for. I am no expert... I am constantly learning this stuff, at my own pace, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Now that I've fully described my machine (probably boring to many, my apologizes for that), I will tell you all how I found out about Linux in general. I am an F.C.C. licensed Amateur Radio Operator (Ham). Over the years, I've heard of other Hams who use Linux at repeater sites that have Internet access for our radio communications, because of Linux's stability. Many of those machines are older than what I'm currently using. The purpose of connecting our radios to the Internet is to expand our communications world wide, and for experimentation. Also, I was told by very few Ham's (as if it were a well kept secret, lol) that even they use Linux at home for their personal use, and how they enjoyed the freedom and stability Linux offers to them. I was "interested" in Linux back then, however I never got around to actually "try" Linux for myself, until recently... in February this year (2016).

For a month, I decided to "educate" myself through research, on Youtube, and watched videos about how Linux works, the various Distros, etc., and I have surfed the Web to learn even more. I found that I liked Linux based solely upon my research alone. For about a week, I was trying to make a "sound" and "calculated" decision as to weather or not to load Linux onto my machine (wiping out Windows altogether, and having no Windows discs to reinstall it if I ran into a problem) and give Linux a fair try out. Again, I am no expert. After all the complications I've had at various times with Windows over the years, ie; viruses, crashes, lockups, freezes, machine running slow, high data usage, tracking and spying from Microsoft, etc., etc., I found myself disliking their OS's more and more... just like a lot of other people have. Sometime in February, I finally made my decision... Linux it is!

I've tried different Ubuntu (Linux) OS's. I finally found Linux Mint 17.3 'ROSA' and loaded it onto my machine. Here we are in June, and I really like the OS!... (for the "basic" stuff I use my machine for as described earlier). My machine runs great and flawlessly with Linux Mint! Then I've found Linux Mint 18 'Sarah' (beta) and loaded it. So far, I haven't had any problems with it, and I am excited for the stable final release! I must say that 18 is the cat's meow so far! I don't mind using the Software Manager to download the software I need. The bottom line is this... Linux doesn't slow down my machine and it seems very "rock solid" in terms of it's stability. Linux has not plagued me with viruses, adds, or pop-ups. Linux has automatically found whatever drivers I need for my WI-FI devices, printers, etc.. I haven't had to run the installation disks for any of my devices. Linux doesn't seem to be fully compatible with my Logitech C525 Web cam (???) in terms of the "full featured" software I get from Windows... (I'm not going back to Windows over a Web cam, lol), however "Cheese" works just fine for me and for what I do with my Web cam (video chat). "Cheese" is good and simple to use software. Again, I am no expert... I am just learning as I go along. Linux, in general, is the BEST experience that I have ever had, for all the "basic" things I do with my machine, which is the same as most "laymens" would typically do. It is simple for the "end-user" (me), and fun and easy to use! It just works!

Linux has brought life into other older machines I have! With older versions of Windows no longer supported, they couldn't even connect to the Internet! With Linux on them, they DO connect to the Internet, and do a bit more! Those machines probably aren't worth investing any money into or harvesting any of the parts out of, however it is because of those other older machines, that I have had the ability to learn from them and experiment with them. If I "broke" or "bricked" one of those older machines, it would not be a big or expensive loss! To me, Linux is the carrot in front of the horse...Linux encourages me to explore and learn new things! I love Linux! I highly recommend Linux to anyone! Linux gets two thumbs up and a five star rating from me!

In closing, I would like to thank each and every "Linux" Team member world wide for all of your time, hard work, dedication, contributions, etc., etc., to this ever growing project! You all have done a terrific and outstanding job with the project! As we say in the Ham radio community when we honor someone,... "I'm tipping the tower to you." I would openly, definitely and highly recommend "Linux" to everyone I know! I also want to thank everyone of you who took the time to read this lengthy post, and to thank everyone in the Linux Community Chats and Forums for all the advise and help I have received from you out there. Have a great day/night... wherever you are!

Very Sincerely,
Greg2908

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: One Overly Happy New Guy- Please Read!

Post by The-Wizard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 am

Welcome to the Mint Family forums

I dot believe in old/new equipment only working/broke and in the words of an old British saying, ""If it ain't broke don't fix it"" windows doesn't break computers it only brakes itself, a transplant of Linux is usually all that's needed to reinvigorate the hardware.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:42 am

Good to hear, and have fun with Linux! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:15 am

Hi "Greg2908",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Welcome aboard, Greg2908! There are a lot of hams here. de Jim, N7JA

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Hello Greg2908, I too have a Dell Optiplex 745 desktop that I got for cheap when a local school district was selling off "obsolete" equipment. I upgraded the RAM (a good score on Craigslist) and added an Nvidia video card from the Goodwill recycled electronics store here in Austin. The computer worked like a charm! The kicker was when I had to upgrade the SSD in my wife's laptop because it was filling up - now I had a 128 GB SSD I could use. I installed the drive, put Mint Cinnamon on it, and now it really flies. There's lots of old hardware out there that, with just a little TLC, can be very productive for a large segment of the population. If only people knew!
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Welcome aboard, great to hear your experience has been fruitful and enjoyable, maybe you'd consider a donation at some point as a show of appreciation to the team for all their hard work, I know I do :wink:

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:04 pm

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!:D
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Welcome to the family, and Happy Minting!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Introduce yourself”