Ditching Windows

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boohkitty

Ditching Windows

Post by Boohkitty »

I have time now, a little bit anyway, to start downloading all things Linux and begin learning how to use it. After this past year with Microsoft, I am motivated to finally learn what all the hype is about Linux. From what I understand, I have a long road ahead of me, so I'm sure I'll be around here a lot.

Just wanted to introduce myself!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Ditching Windows

Post by Moem »

Boohkitty wrote:From what I understand, I have a long road ahead of me
Hello, welcome!
The length of the road ahead of you depends entirely on where it is that you want to end up. I'm not going all 'zen master' on you here, what I mean is this: if you just want to use Linux Mint as a normal user, and if all the software you want to use comes pre-installed (which is entirely possible, because a LOT comes pre-installed), you may very well be up and running and happily using your system within an afternoon.
Don't make this any harder than it needs to be. It may very well be a lot simpler than you think! :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

most of the pre selected applications are fine for home use/office use, if a gamer then that will take you a while to set up, if you need a specific program we may already have a linux version in the repository.

take it easy and don't rush or it could cause disappointment

wizard
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Welcome! As others have already said: taking it easy prevents disappointment. Expect a learning curve; in case of problems, we're here to help. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Boohkitty! I'm with the others: if you just want to browse the web, read your email, write text documents, watch videos and listen to music and that sort of thing, you'll be up and running in no time. I've been using Linux for 14 years, and my brother, who has always used Windows finally got tired of it and asked me to install Linux on his computer for him. He has yet to call me for help even once, and his wife is pleased that she doesn't have to "listen to him yelling at the computer anymore." Then my sister, also a Windows user, asked me to put Linux on her computer too, and she's had one or two issues which were quickly resolved. If you do have any problems, or need to know what application to install for a specific function, or whatever, don't hesitate to ask here on the forums, and don't spend a long time working on it before you ask.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Boohkitty

Post by Boohkitty »

I've been messaging back and forth with a member on another PC forum who uses Linux mint, so I do have a small idea of what I'm in for.

While I wouldn't call myself a geek, I am the one everyone comes to with their PC problems. I just like knowing stuff :) I'll probably end up getting in over my head for fun I guess! I'm notorious for overthinking things.

From my conversations and reading, I'm going to have a bit more work than the average user. My profession requires the use of CAD, photo imaging and 3D software. I've found what I think are good alternatives for Photo Shop or Creative Suite. Blender is a no brainer. I don't understand why anyone would spend thousands of dollars for Autodesk software when Blender is just as good. But I have yet to find a good CAD program. My understanding is that Wine may be good for using my existing software. The person I've been talking with said that he had some trouble with it, but many other people have used without issues.

In the meantime, I have to have Windows for now because I still have to work while I'm learning about Linux. I have two hard drives in my tower. I'm going put Win 7 on one of them because I hate 8 and want nothing to do with 10(I have a retail installation disc) Linux Mint will be on the other.

My biggest obstacle right now is finding a hard copy tutorial for Mint. I'm just one of those people that need to have something written down in a book in front of me when I'm learning something brand new. Constantly switching screens to look at online tutorials doesn't work well with my ADD brain! The two books I'm considering don't appear to be on the market yet. :(

Looking around the Linux forums, I've seen a lot of terminology I'm not at all familiar with. 'Switching' or 'Swapping'? I don't know if that is something specific to Linux, or something that applies to all OS's.

My brain feels a little overwhelmed. Culture shock!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Boohkitty

Post by Boohkitty »

jimallyn wrote:.............. don't spend a long time working on it before you ask.
Just curious about why you say this? I typically try to figure out as much as possible on my own before asking for help. I find that if I at least know the right words to use for the question I'm asking, things go a lot easier.

When I got my first computer with XP, I had no idea what they were talking about when they said to hit the 'Start' button. I was looking for a physical button somewhere on the hardware. On the monitor? You mean the big box with the picture on it? But if I push that button, the screen goes blank!

I feel really sorry for those people trying to help me in the early days. I think it's funny though that they now come to me for help!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Boohkitty wrote:
jimallyn wrote:.............. don't spend a long time working on it before you ask.
Just curious about why you say this?
Because I have seen people come to the forums and say things like, "Linux sucks! I've been working on this problem for 3 weeks and still haven't figured it out. I'm going back to Windows!" Asking questions on the forums would have had their problems solved weeks ago, but instead, they insisted on beating their heads against a wall. So don't feel bad about asking on the forums, that's what it's here for!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Boohkitty wrote: But I have yet to find a good CAD program. My understanding is that Wine may be good for using my existing software. The person I've been talking with said that he had some trouble with it, but many other people have used without issues.
Welcome to the world of linux
As far as autocad goes here some alternatives for you to check out.

https://alternativeto.net/software/auto ... form=linux

Some are 2d some 3d all depends what works for you.
Hope it helps you out and gets what you need to get the job done.

Sam
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Namaste and welcome to the Linux Mint forums! :D
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Boohkitty

Post by Boohkitty »

samriggs wrote:
Welcome to the world of linux
As far as autocad goes here some alternatives for you to check out.

https://alternativeto.net/software/auto ... form=linux

Sam
Thank you!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Welcome to the family, and Happy Minting!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

The thing about Linux is

it put the fun back into computers

'nuff said.
mram1340

Post by mram1340 »

My suggestion is to use timeshift which is in 18.3 or install it on prior versions, I am a noob and love to explore into areas I ought not be in. I cannot count the times I have blown up an installation and had to reinstall because I poke and mess with things. If I knew what I was doing I would know how to ask for help but with timeshift I can just restore it back to before I messed it up. I do love tinkering in linux tho and i'm slowly learning. Thats how you do it RIGHT? Tune for maximum smoke then read the instructions.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Boohkitty Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

*points to the date the thread was started*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”