Shine on Linux!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
mwbworld
Level 3
Level 3

Shine on Linux!

Post by mwbworld » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:33 am

I’d been meaning to write this first post for several days now to commemorate both my first week as a formal forum member (although I was lurking as a guest for at least a week before that…) and my first week as a Linux (Mint Cinnamon v 18) user!

Flashback a couple of weeks ago where I was a week past the Windows 10 “Anniversary” update which is about year after I upgraded my desktop from 7 to the then new 10 (and my laptop from 8.1 to 10.) Sure it took forever and it was clunky but I’d felt pretty lucky to survive the various windows updates over the past year or so. I’d even joked with a couple of people that where was my t-shirt saying “I survived another Windows update!”

Each one had had a problem of course like when I first moved to 10 and suddenly my graphics card was considered not good enough to do exactly the same streaming video and blu-ray playing it had been doing successfully for years forcing me to update it. Then one week after the “Anniversary” upgrade there was a minor upgrade (including one to the graphic card drive to apparently fix a flaw in the one windows forced on me that was causing that model graphic card to burn out…which it did!) which crashed my system completely. Couldn’t even safe boot without the blue screen of death!

So I fired up my laptop since it was still working - researching and starting to think…

When, over the years, had it become acceptable for updates to be something feared, like getting a root canal, where I was feeling like I was playing Russian Roulette every time they happened? What would break this time? Would my computer even be usable after it? Sure you’re supposed to update for “security” but at such a cost to stability that windows was becoming essentially unusable. Heck, I joked after that “Yup the latest windows update made the system so secure – that no one, including myself could access it!”

Then, I thought about the fact that since I was in the process of gathering parts to build a new desktop system for myself by December anyway and since my current desktop was munged in the windows OS let’s use this as an opportunity to try Linux. So about a week and a half ago, I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 on my desktop and it went so smoothly I was shocked. And it has been going great since. Each update has been quick and smooth. And slowly I’ve been letting go of my PTUS (Post Traumatic Update Syndrome.) I laughed when yesterday I had both a update with Linux on my desktop and Windows on my laptop. The Linux updated quickly and I went on when my day, while a half hour later I was still waiting for the windows on the laptop to finish!

Thus I’m here and thinking more and more that heck when I build that new desktop it will be Linux and then I might go back and switch the laptop to Linux once that is up and running!

So to filk the song Amazing Grace:

Amazing Linux! (how sweet the OS)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once used Windows, but now it’s Linux,
Was blind, but now I see.

8)
- Michael

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Shine on Linux!

Post by Pjotr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Welcome! :)

Nasty story about those updates.... You've made a good choice by selecting Mint: Mint has an agreeably cautious approach to updates, which makes a lot of sense.

If you haven't done so yet, I advise to select the update policy called "Don't break my computer". You can switch your update policy like this: Update Manager - panel: Edit - Update Policy.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

phd21
Level 17
Level 17

Post by phd21 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi "mwbworld",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

mwbworld
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mwbworld » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Pjotr wrote:Welcome! :)

If you haven't done so yet, I advise to select the update policy called "Don't break my computer". You can switch your update policy like this: Update Manager - panel: Edit - Update Policy.
Thanks for the welcome.

And yes that is exactly what I started with for my first few days. Then once I was a little more confident in how they handle the updates, I went for the next level of balance between security and stability one. Just such a pleasure having a choice and being able (once again) to choose updates and do them after you've spent time learning about them and seeing how others are doing with them.

Plus there's a great since of community here like there used to be in the old days of computers in the BBS world in the beginning. Which definitely doesn't happen with corporate windows OS!
- Michael

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums

don't rush learn and enjoy

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Hello, mwbworld.
Welcome to Mint and to the forum !

mwbworld wrote:Plus there's a great since of community here like there used to be in the old days of computers in the BBS world in the beginning. Which definitely doesn't happen with corporate windows OS!
So true!

Linux Linx 2016
Ubuntu Help wiki
IBM's Learn Linux, 101 Tutorials
Linux Mint Beginners Search Engine
A guide on how to post on the Linux Mint forums
SuperGrub2 CD: A tool everyone should have
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Welcome aboard, mwbworld!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:59 pm

I can use Linux now, my Window's gone
I see no update pain in my way
All fresh and Minty now, old Bill has gone
It's gonna be a free, free, free open source day.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

matt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by matt » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint family and forums!
mwbworld wrote:Amazing Linux! (how sweet the OS)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once used Windows, but now it’s Linux,
Was blind, but now I see.
That is the sweet song of freedom indeed. :D

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:14 pm

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Introduce yourself”