Escaped in time to avoid Windows 10!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Escaped in time to avoid Windows 10!

Post by Wade »

I have been using MS Windows and MS Office since the early 1990s and have been getting progressively more dissatisfied over the last few years. I could write pages about why, but I am not here to bash MS. I will just say that Windows 8 was the limit for me. I had hoped that the next Windows after 8 would be better, but realistically, I knew it wouldn't be. (Well, we see how Windows 10 turned out. LOL) Fortunately, I still had a Windows 7 machine to use, besides my new Windows 8 machine, but I knew that eventually, I would have to find something else.

Chromebook would not meet my needs, and I had no desire to use Mac and get in the tight control and costliness of Apple. I wished that someone would invent another operating system. At that time, I didn't realize it had already been done.

I had heard about Linux once or twice, but knew nothing, so I began doing some research. Wow! I discovered a whole new world that I never knew existed! I had a sense of freedom and excitement as I tried different distros.

I finally settled on Linux Mint MATE as my distro of choice. I installed Mint 17.3 MATE on my disused Windows XP machine from 2007. My intent was to use it as a toy for learning and experimenting so I that would be ready to jump when Windows 7 reaches end of life. What actually happened is that I started using the Linux Mint machine more and more, not as a toy, but as a real worker. It is working beautifully, even on a 9 year old machine! Finally, I said to myself, why wait, the time to make the switch is now.

The next step would be installing Mint on my newer, “daily driver” computer, which has Windows 7. I had been been doing “swivel chair,” doing some functions on the Linux Mint machine and others on the Windows 7 machine. I wanted to get everything onto the newer, more powerful machine, with dual monitors, so I recently installed Mint 18 MATE on the new computer. I am having one problem, which I am trying to work through, but I might be posting a help request here soon. Once that is solved, I will be fully converted.

Meanwhile, while all the above was going on… I rescued my sister's Windows Vista computer. It had gotten so slow that it was unusable—probably infected with some adware or spyware. I had no success in cleaning it, so I did a reinstall of Windows Vista (which took HOURS), and installed Mint 17.3 as a dual boot (which took about 30 minutes). She likes Mint just fine and says she never goes into the Windows side. This saved her hundreds of dollars, because without Linux, she probably would have had to buy a new computer.

So far, after using both Windows and Linux Mint for a few months, there about 2 things that I prefer about Windows,and dozens of things I prefer about Linux. Yes, Linux wins! I am glad to be here.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Escaped in time to avoid Windows 10!

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Wade! Don't hesitate to ask about the problem you are having.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.
cameraman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cameraman »

Yes welcome i have also been using mircrosoft products since 95 , am very disappointed with the products they are coming out with love mint
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

most problems already have a fix,
search
read
ask

and don't rush to avoid disappointment

Wizard,
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Namaste and welcome to the Linux Mint forums! :D
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

If she likes Mint just fine and says she never goes into the Windows side:
- then maybe look at shrinking the Vista partition even more,
and giving that extra room over to the LinuxMint system.

just a thought.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Welcome aboard Wade =).

I've been using for majority of my work for last 5 years. If some reason you get stuck and need help don't hesitate to ask me =).
Sundowner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sundowner »

That is a nice intro Wade. Welcome to the world of Linux and Linux Mint.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade »

Pierre wrote:If she likes Mint just fine and says she never goes into the Windows side:
- then maybe look at shrinking the Vista partition even more,
and giving that extra room over to the LinuxMint system.

just a thought.
8)
Actually, the plan is to get rid of Windows altogether. The hard drive is approaching 8 years old, so I proposed proactively replacing it before it fails. When that is done, I will install Linux Mint only -- no Windows. Vista will is near and of life anyway, and it would not be wise to use it after it is no longer receiving security updates. The only reason she might possibly need Windows would be if she needed Microsoft Office for something work related, but that is unlikely since she has been using Libre Office for months with no problems. MS Office is now available for free through their web app, so that option is there, just in case.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wade »

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcomes. We have such a friendly community here, and I am glad to be part of it.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I didn't bother setting up a Win10/Mint dual boot when I got my SSD.
It's all Mint.
-H
smyers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smyers »

I dito all that Wade said! I set up two new computers (one Win 7) and one Mint 17.3 I have been reading and surfing the Web with Mint, but I (and this is the reason for my Win 7 machine) was a photog in High School (back 100 years ago!) and I have 100's of neg. that I need to scan. I have been reading but I have done nothing (yet) to install one of my 2 scanners that do negatives. I have had these negatives for 49 years, and a few more won't hurt as I try and learn. I am looking forward to reading on these Forums and ({hopefully) learning. I want to thank all for being here and so helpful!

Return to “Introduce yourself”