Hello everybody ;)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
maxi84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody ;)

Post by maxi84 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello @all,

I'm not all new to Linux, but have just started to use Linux Mint for some different reasons.

One of the most important, I like the Cinnamon-Desktop a lot, but at the same time unfortunately I experience some hardware video rendering bugs when using it with different models of older desktop video cards(Nvidia-Geforce&Ati-Radeon) and I'm missing some of my favorite software packages in the repositories of Linux-Mint/Ubuntu that I used to install in other Linux Distributions directly from the package manager.(Avidemux, Aircrack, etc.,)

So now I have registered myself here, maybe to find help with the video rendering bugs, and to try to find alternatives to the programs I miss here, alternative repos or even just .deb package downloads to install the old programs I was used to.
I might could even ask some stupid question about OpenCL. I guess I'll "abuse" the noob section for an extendet resumption of all my problems and questions since I've started to try Linux Mint. xD

greetings
max

PS: Before I forget It, I've to tell you about my BIOS, audio and my ps2-mouse-scrolling issues ;) Later in the Noob
Please change standards to activate annoying features like "screensaver" and "energy saving" remember, lots of idiots live on our planet too, they might stop to bother me about soccer matches interrupting every few minutes.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hello everybody ;)

Post by austin.texas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello, Max.
Welcome to Mint and to the forum !

(Original artwork by hexdef101)

Avidemux for Mint 18
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/avidemux1
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install avidemux

OR: Add removed to repos. removed/app/Avidemux%202.6

Linux Linx 2017
Ubuntu Help wiki
Linux Search Engine
A guide on how to post on the Linux Mint forums
SuperGrub2 - a tool everyone should have!
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi "maxi84",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Crewp
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Crewp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums,

Cinnamon is the most resource hungry of all the desktops so needs a good fairly modern motherboard and graphic card, on older machines the mate desktop should work fine or the old favourites XFCE and KDE,

another thing you could try is open menu... all applications ....scroll down and find driver manager open and see if is suggesting any other drivers you may need.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Welcome. Glad you joined the forums.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

maxi84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxi84 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks for your friendly Welcomes! The answers to your "Questions" and much much more info and questions can be found here now:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=239979
Please change standards to activate annoying features like "screensaver" and "energy saving" remember, lots of idiots live on our planet too, they might stop to bother me about soccer matches interrupting every few minutes.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Hello maxi84,

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:33 am

Welcome aboard, maxi84!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Introduce yourself”