Sick of Windows ... finally checking out Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
limp biscuit

Sick of Windows ... finally checking out Linux

Post by limp biscuit »

I'm a long-time windows user. Have read too much over the years about microsoft's sick relationship with the politically powerful (and their associated spy agencies). So I just bought a used lenono thinkpad T430 (12gb RAM). Was told it was 2 yrs old. (Did some research on T430s just now and it looks like lenovo released these starting in 2012.) Had a techie install Linux Mint ver.18.0 (cinnamon edition). No partition that I can see (thank heavens). Hope to make it my full time on-line PC. Been playing with it the last few days. Mostly find it user friendly, but like any o.s., I see that linux will take some getting used to. Seeing a few glitchy areas, and thought that talking with forum folk would be the right way to go. So I'm gonna switch over to a likely looking forum page, jump right in, and ask my first question.
Mostly, I just wanted to say hi.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Sick of Windows ... finally checking out Linux

Post by JoeFootball »

Welcome aboard! :)
limp biscuit wrote:Hope to make it my full time on-line PC.
Tip: The firewall is typically disabled by default. Enable it, and you'll be good to go thereafter.

And have a look through the Easy Linux Tips Project for lots of helpful information, especially its "Right after the installation of Linux Mint" and "Security in Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Debian" sections.

Joe
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.
Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to Mint and the forums!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello limp biscuit,

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, limp biscuit! In general, people who come to Mint from Windows end up keeping it, and somewhere along the line, they usually say something like, "I should have done this years ago!" I hope that is your experience.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome Limp Biscuit!
Good things happening in Linux Mint. Have you noticed the lack of popups and the use of private page yet?
It drives the scam artists nutz!
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

Welcome. I sympathise - haven't used W10 myself but tend to only hear bad things about it. Hope your experiences with the OS and community are productive and enjoyable.
limp biscuit

Post by limp biscuit »

Wow. What a very nice welcome! I like this site already. Thanks too for the helpful tips. I'm gonna check out your advice (like inxi Fnx, easy linux tips project, and enabling the firewall) right now.
Seff

Post by Seff »

Welcome, Biscuit! I migrated here after less than a month with Win. 10 and don't regret it, except for those games that will not run in Wine. ;) Isn't it it reassuring that Linux will never try to push Candy Crush Saga on you?
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Welcome!

And another one's gone, and another one's gone, and another one bites the dust! (another user gone from Windows, that is!)
In this case, it's a good thing. :D

Keep 'em comin'!!
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

I recommend Bishop's Finger ale, by the way! Have a good evening. Enjoy your time here and Take A Look Around.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

JoeFootball wrote:Welcome aboard! :)
limp biscuit wrote:Hope to make it my full time on-line PC.
Tip: The firewall is typically disabled by default. Enable it, and you'll be good to go thereafter.

And have a look through the Easy Linux Tips Project for lots of helpful information, especially its "Right after the installation of Linux Mint" and "Security in Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Debian" sections.

Joe
Definitely take Joe's advice on the above web site he refers to. It is maintained by Pjtor who is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of the forum. Also I suggest running through all the settings and turning off all the bells and whistles.

BTW - I did the same thing and bought a refurbished T430 a few years ago for travel and have been running Linux Mint 17.3 on it with no issues.
limp biscuit

Post by limp biscuit »

I did want to tip a hat for majpooper's comments. I too am finding JoeFootball's tips very help. Am working my way through the 10 Essential Steps, etc. I'm coming right along...
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

well done, just remember my final tip.....
And take your time to avoid disappointment.
wizard
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. I hope you find it helpful. :) And welcome to the light, that is the world of Linux. Enjoy. :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”