Bye Bye Windows 10 Forever [SOLVED]

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AstralTim67
Level 1
Level 1

Bye Bye Windows 10 Forever [SOLVED]

Post by AstralTim67 »

Well I finally did it. I've switched all of my computers to Linux Mint 18.1. :D I have a website that results in my Windows system getting hacked at least once per month because there are powers in this world who don't want certain topics publicized, topics that myself and many others are trying to share with the mass population, preferably those who have no clue what is happening in the world. I thought I had the best security but apparently not. The website is <DELETED> and although it isn't much it's an outlet for me that has probably opened the eyes and ears of a few people at the very least. I've permanently stepped away from Windows due to having continuous boot issues and having to reload the OS on pretty much a monthly basis.
Even restoring from a backup became a real nuisance since my backups were questionable. I tried Ubuntu 16.04 first and really liked it but like Linux Mint much better. I've been contemplating the switch for about 5 years now. Just finished the Dropbox installation hurdle, mounting the proper drive and folder for Dropbox. The only downfall I see right now is my inability to use "nCrypted Cloud" with all of my cloud storage applications. I suspect that is going to be an issue since I'm not going to be able to access encrypted files without decrypting them from another Windows computer first. Oh well. I'm still not giving up on Mint. I love it too much. Glad to be here and hope to learn a lot. I'm currently working on the "Private Tunnel" installation and the "Private Tunnel" portion has some issues I've reported to them. Glad to be here. Hope to meet a lot of you and will help whenever I can but right now I am definitely in the learning phase. Thank you developers for such a robust operating system that seems flawless to me right now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Bye Bye Windows 10 Forever

Post by Pierre »

welcome to our forum
:D

Do Take the Time to Read the LinuxMint Users Guide that came with the installation.

you certainly are not the first person, to be bitten by Windows 10,
& likewise you've managed to install the LinuxMint system,
- so you've come a long way, in a short period.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, AstralTim67!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

Welcome! Interesting how W10 seems to have moved so many to Linux! Hope you enjoy your time with the OS and the forum.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums AstralTim67,
Enjoy the learning curve and the Distro. :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello AstralTim67,

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Hope you don't miss the hacking, viruses and trojans :wink:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.
AstralTim67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AstralTim67 »

Thank you all for the welcome messages. No, I'm not going to miss the viruses and trojans that are so prevalent with Windows OS. However, that raises another question, are anti-virus and firewall programs still a wise choice, even for Linux Mint users? I'll look around the forum to find answers to that question. I'm just thrilled that my graphics adapter and sound card are working flawlessly with Linux Mint 18.1. I couldn't be happier.
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

AstralTim67 wrote:Thank you all for the welcome messages. No, I'm not going to miss the viruses and trojans that are so prevalent with Windows OS. However, that raises another question, are anti-virus and firewall programs still a wise choice, even for Linux Mint users? I'll look around the forum to find answers to that question. I'm just thrilled that my graphics adapter and sound card are working flawlessly with Linux Mint 18.1. I couldn't be happier.
That was the reason I didn't move to Linux back in the day [graphics] but these days, things are working very nicely! AV is not vital, no. But Firewall I would advise. Gufw is installed by default, and very easy to configure. Just type "firewall" into search and follow the 'basic' configuration. Should take you all of ten seconds. I personally don't use AV with Linux.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hi Tim67

I am running on PrivateTunnel with no issues.
I followed the instructions here
https://pttest.privatetunnel.com/index. ... lient.html
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Most here on the forum (with more experience than me) will tell you AVs are not necessary on Linux, and will even do you more harm than good. You're better off not installing an AV on Linux.

As for a firewall, as already stated Mint comes with one preinstalled. It is off by default, so you have to manually turn it on.
tiphany17

Post by tiphany17 »

Just an update on my win situation. It looks like I'm getting somewhere at last. After trying to reinstall win 7 on formatted partition and it not working I finally contacted Microsoft today and found them very helpful. I have decided to go win 10 64 bit and have downloaded the iso. Burned that to dvd and am now it is installing in Virtualbox (so far No Prob's0 and then I will have my virtual machine with windows there to run the applications I need it for and have Linux as my default OS. This looks great.
I will post outcome together with major points as it may help others that are in my position. Cheers all.Doug
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

I hope you didn't pay for win10 because you can still upgrade for free
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade
AstralTim67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AstralTim67 »

I'm interested in the "Private Tunnel" post since I too use Private Tunnel but have not figured out how to use it with Linux. The link supplied by majpooper » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 pm, https://pttest.privatetunnel.com/index. ... lient.html is not a valid link. Do you know where I can find instructions for installing and configuring Private Tunnel? Thank you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you probably should have started a new post, rather than resurrecting your old one.

https://www.privatetunnel.com/
it's $35 /yr - after their Free 7 day Trial
:)
How to Install under Linux System:
https://support.privatetunnel.com/kb/ar ... ng-system/
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AstralTim67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AstralTim67 »

Pierre wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:32 am you probably should have started a new post, rather than resurrecting your old one.

https://www.privatetunnel.com/
it's $35 /yr - after their Free 7 day Trial
:)
How to Install under Linux System:
https://support.privatetunnel.com/kb/ar ... ng-system/
8)
Thanks for the link, and next time I'll create a new post. Not sure why I did that. I did put [SOLVED] in the original post at least.
maddoccanis

Re: Bye Bye Windows 10 Forever [SOLVED]

Post by maddoccanis »

As a professional scientist, I worked with a lot of operating systems. UNIX was the most common. Had to deal with Windows for pcs but never really liked it. Linux mint seems best overall friendly system with unix style commands if you need them. I'm still keeping a Win 10 running.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”