Loco Hombre says hello from California Republic

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locohombre

Loco Hombre says hello from California Republic

Post by locohombre »

Hi everyone, my username is "locohombre" but I prefer to be addressed in conversation simply as "loco". I am a 42 year old male from the current state of California and future independent California Republic. While I may have achieved The Answer To Life, The Universe, And Everything, at least chronologically, I am very new to Linux. I first logged onto the internet in January 1995, via the former WELL community in Sausalito, CA. Back then nearly everything was Unix based, and the internet was mostly text in a terminal window on my Macintosh Performa 200 over a 9600 baud Global Village modem. Unfortunately, I decided on replacing the Mac with a Win95 machine a couple years later, believing that Apple was in a graveyard spiral. So, now it's 2017, and my HP 635 laptop running Win7 has fended off Microsoft's repeated attempts to involuntarily "upgrade" it to Win10. When my Zone Alarm subscription quit, I decided to switch out the hard drive and slap Linux Mint on it. The problem is, I have no clue about how to work the command line. See my post in Newbie Questions. -loco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Loco Hombre says hello from California Republic

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, loco! For most people, there is rarely any need to use the command line. But it can be very powerful at times. If you previously used Unix, the Linux command line will feel pretty familiar to you. If you want to learn the Linux command line, perhaps one of the best guides is The Linux Command Line. You can pay money for a paper copy, or you can download the book from here:

http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.
Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard

Most family users do not [often] use the Terminal [command line is a windows thing]. It can be very powerful but is also makes it easy to bulk your system if you make the wrong choices, there are plenty of tutorials that can be found for mint builds a good start is https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello locohombre Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”