Windows is dead.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
tiphany17
Level 1
Level 1

Windows is dead.

Post by tiphany17 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 am

Hi. I too have had enough of windows. I had ten installed and my computer is on all the time. I found that quite often everything would slow right down and I would have to shut down and reboot. Trouble was that it would be tied up in knots for ages while it downloaded update files and then take just as long if not longer to start up again. That's no good to me as I lose time in my work, They say that win 10 won't let you regress back to win 7 but I found that after I deleted as much as it would allow there was no problem in doing a new install of 7. I was just composing a message asking for help when win just decided to shut down and install updates half way through. Great! Like I said I've had enough. I am proud to say I have now made the decision to upgrade but not to any windows but to Linux Mint 18.1 and now wonder why I didn't do it earlier. What I have seen and found so far is how great it is and security is good. It seems to work quicker but that may just be me. Overall I am glad I have finally made the move. Life now looks good.

Lysander666
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Windows is dead.

Post by Lysander666 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:55 am

tiphany17 wrote:Hi. I too have had enough of windows. I had ten installed and my computer is on all the time. I found that quite often everything would slow right down and I would have to shut down and reboot. Trouble was that it would be tied up in knots for ages while it downloaded update files and then take just as long if not longer to start up again. That's no good to me as I lose time in my work, They say that win 10 won't let you regress back to win 7 but I found that after I deleted as much as it would allow there was no problem in doing a new install of 7. I was just composing a message asking for help when win just decided to shut down and install updates half way through. Great! Like I said I've had enough. I am proud to say I have now made the decision to upgrade but not to any windows but to Linux Mint 18.1 and now wonder why I didn't do it earlier. What I have seen and found so far is how great it is and security is good. It seems to work quicker but that may just be me. Overall I am glad I have finally made the move. Life now looks good.
I feel sorry for my wife who uses Windows 7. It's noticeably slower than Linux and she sits there and waits patiently for it to do the most trivial of tasks. I suppose it's what many Windows users have now got used to.
Debian 9.4 / Slackware 14.2

dynamikspeed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dynamikspeed » Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 pm

tiphany17 wrote:I am proud to say I have now made the decision to upgrade but not to any windows but to Linux Mint 18.1 and now wonder why I didn't do it earlier.
I like the sound of that UPGRADE from Windows 10 to Linux Mint :lol:

Let us know which windows applications you are using and I am sure we can suggest better alternatives for Mint.
Asus UX305FA Laptop, Mint 18.2 x64 Cinnamon. Solo Boot in 10s

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Fri May 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat May 13, 2017 3:30 am

Welcome aboard, tiphany17! I can't count the number of times I have seen somebody post "I should have done this years ago" (or similar) on these forums.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

ilikereading
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilikereading » Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 am

I have done the same thing. 8)

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 am

That was my same experience in 2012. My only regret is not having "upgraded" from Windows to Linux earlier.

Welcome to our community, enjoy Linux Mint. :)
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

hi tiphany17...i think michael corleone said it best in the Godfather movie..."Fredo (MS Windows)...Your dead to me"...lol...welcome to linux mint...Damien
ORDO AB CHAO

lyndave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lyndave » Fri May 19, 2017 3:13 am

hi tiphany17 and welcome to sanity. i used to fiddle with linux redhat back in the days of windows 98 but sadly i should have jumped over to linux then, it took windows 10 to give me the push once my windows 7 machine died

Return to “Introduce yourself”