Mint on a Really BIG screen!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlr1701

Mint on a Really BIG screen!

Post by jlr1701 »

Hey everybody,

I posted here not too long ago, after I installed Mint on a very old laptop that has a Core 2 Duo CPU. I ended up not doing anything with it. Just too old and too slow to be useful anymore, and for some reason that thing beeps loudly several times at every boot. So... when Amazon had their Prime Day sale recently, I grabbed a very cheap refurbished HP Intel i5 computer. It's an older i5 with 8 GB of DDR3 memory, and a slow spinning hard drive. But hey... it works and I'm looking forward to diving back into the Linux world with it! :) We also upgraded our TV set, so I'm using the old 55" LCD TV as my monitor! Wish I could upload a photo, but I get an error saying the file is too large. Evidently, the file size allowed is very restrictive... :( But believe me, it is supper cool! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint on a Really BIG screen!

Post by majpooper »

Go to the file pull down menu in GIMP - Open the photo and then Export (again under the File pull down menu) it as jpeg. A dialog box will open - Click preview you will then be able to use the slider to reduce the photo file size.

I have did something similar in that I am using a 32" Panasonic TV as a third monitor, although I rarely actually use it. I typically keep TV on the input mode associated with my Roku but can use it in monitor mode for things like YouTube. I mostly run with dual 22" monitors side by side which I find very convenient.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

jlr1701 wrote:... after I installed Mint on a very old laptop that has a Core 2 Duo CPU. ... Just too old and too slow to be useful anymore, and for some reason that thing beeps loudly several times at every boot. ...
I suspect your issues had nothing to do with the CPU. Recently, I "upgraded" from a Celeron-based laptop to a Core 2 Duo-based model (this one). Both run really well for most stuff. The only issue with the Celeron model was video playback and any webpages with video were very slow. However, this laptop has resolved both issues and, so far at least, is running LM Cinammon very well. I'm thinking of adding more RAM (2GB at present and I can add an additional 2 GB) and an SSD.
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Cinnamon 6.0.4
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I did the big screen thing the other day and the wife almost blew a fuse. I plugged in an old MacBook 2.1 circa 2006 running LM18.1 Cinnamon64 into my 60" HDMI port (with the Apple adapter) and played a video disk then an online video. No stuttering or hesitations. It was humorous because the DVD played about 1 minute faster than the time it played in the DVD player on a different input.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”