Moving from Ubuntu to Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Art3mis9

Moving from Ubuntu to Mint

Post by Art3mis9 »

Hi,

After 10+ years with Ubuntu, I've decided to jump ship to Mint. I'm running Sonya with KDE Plasma, and I must say I'm very impressed with how this distribution has come along. I've been disillusioned by the direction Ubuntu has taken for a long time (probably going as far back as 8.04), but I guess I had so much nostalgia for the way it used to be - the GNOME 2 era - and I guess I was hoping, someday, they'd find their way back. But, alas, I've given up hope.

I've only been using the new installation for a few hours, but so far it feel like I remember Ubuntu being back in the day. It's very sleek, snappy and - so far - solid as a rock.

I hope to take part in the community and look forward to contributing.

Regards,

Art3mis9
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Moving from Ubuntu to Mint

Post by MintBean »

Welcome aboard!
I expect a lot of people will move to Mint given the current sea changes in the Ubuntu world. I think it's all for the good in the long run. Now Ubuntu's no longer maintaining Unity or chasing the mobile space they'll hopefully have more resource to commit to improving the base system. Mint can build on that with a sterling desktop.
By the way, the Mate desktop may appeal if you like the Gnome 2 style.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Art3mis9!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Art3mis9 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

wizard
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Introduce Yourself”