Introduction

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crypto_Seal

Introduction

Post by Crypto_Seal »

Hi All - I am a newbie to Mint and willing to learn, share and collaborate.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Introduction

Post by Pierre »

welcome to our forum
:D

Do Take the Time to Read the LinuxMint Users Guide that came with the installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Crypto_Seal

Re: Terminal/pw/problems

Post by Crypto_Seal »

I have finally decided to dive into the abyss of the terminal and the world of crypto currencies. I am trying to sync., the Nano S Ledger hard wallet with my Mint OS and I have been instructed to do the following: 1. create a set of udev rules to allow access to the device on Linux, by running the following command: wget -q -O - https://www.ledgerwallet.com/support/add_udev_rules.sh | sudo bash - I have copied and pasted the command - pressed enter and I am asked for the password for - however, the cursor blinks and nothing happens when I try and type my pw - I am at a loss - help would be much appreciated :D
Crypto_Seal

Post by Crypto_Seal »

Thanx Pierre - will read the LM Users Guide
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Crypto_Seal Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Crypto_Seal wrote:I have finally decided to dive into the abyss of the terminal and the world of crypto currencies. I am trying to sync., the Nano S Ledger hard wallet with my Mint OS and I have been instructed to do the following: 1. create a set of udev rules to allow access to the device on Linux, by running the following command: wget -q -O - https://www.ledgerwallet.com/support/add_udev_rules.sh | sudo bash - I have copied and pasted the command - pressed enter and I am asked for the password for - however, the cursor blinks and nothing happens when I try and type my pw - I am at a loss - help would be much appreciated :D
Hi Crypto_Seal, welcome to the forums.

I suspect that the file you downloaded via wget doesn't have its executable bit set, the file (add_udev_rules.sh) should be in the directory that you ran the wget command from. Opening a terminal (if not opened any more) and typing

Code: Select all

ls -al |grep add
should list the downloaded file and display the permissions.

chmod +x add_udev_rules.sh
should add the e'x'ecutable bit.

To run the script, with elevated privileges that isn't in your path

sudo ./add_udev_rules.sh
The terminal by default doesn't acknowledge a character input for a password, it doesn't respond with a '*', just type in your password and hit enter.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Crypto_Seal!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

G'Day & Hello "Crypto_Seal",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums.
digibill

Post by digibill »

greerd wrote:
Crypto_Seal wrote:I suspect that the file you downloaded via wget doesn't have its executable bit set, the file (add_udev_rules.sh) should be in the directory that you ran the wget command from. Opening a terminal (if not opened any more) and typing

ls -al |grep add
should list the downloaded file and display the permissions.

chmod +x add_udev_rules.sh
should add the e'x'ecutable bit.
Thanks for this reply!
I came also with this issue with my new Ledger Wallet and, although I am an old linux user, I didn't suspect that the scrip downloaded without executable permission!
You saved me a big time! Thanks again!! :D :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”