G'day from Australia!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
danny_h69
Level 1
Level 1

G'day from Australia!

Post by danny_h69 »

Hi everyone. I live in the Hunter Valley region of NSW, Australia. (Wineries, horses and coal mines :) )

Internet (ADSL) speeds are a (bad) joke... however we are expecting fibre in the area soon.

I am reasonably computer literate. I basically taught myself to put computers together, load OS, programs etc. I have predominately been using Windows OS and completed mid-level courses in Networking and Multi Media. I became OK with the command line and basic reg tweaks, usually by following what others had done.

But, I have always wanted an alternative to MS and have been fascinated by Linux. While I have been a "tinkerer" of Linux distros now for over 10 years, I am not a programmer and found that the distros I tried "almost worked", but were confusing enough for me to shy away from dumping MS and going "all in". I have a dozen or so old distros (mostly Ubuntu) on disks that ended up being shelved.

Today was an exciting day... About 12 months ago I loaded a Ubuntu version on my desktop PC and everything seemed to work pretty well with my hardware except - no sound. After hours of searching the web for answers, re-loading OS, file changes etc. I gave up. A few months ago I decided to try Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, after reading it might be a bit more user friendly to MS users. (Yep I know it's built on Ubuntu) Again everything worked pretty well except - no sound. Again the hours of searching the web and trying different fixes proved fruitless.

So a few months ago I decided to try it on my old laptop - it worked! I had been playing with it on the laptop for a while and decided that if I could get the sound to work on the desktop PC, I could finally get rid of MS. So a few weeks ago I loaded Mint 18.1 Serena onto a separate SSD in my desktop PC and kicked it over. Same result - no sound.

So, I have been "testing" Mint without sound and trying to find the solution. Now I am a very seasoned web surfer, so I know that searches for some things can be a bit "hit and miss". Today I found a thread (I closed the page and now I can't find it again..) but it turns out that when you run the GUI of Alsamixer it doesn't show that the bloody thing is set to "auto-mute" by default! I opened it in terminal and disabled the setting and taadaa! It now plays sound! Glorious sound! Well my playlist anyway...

There are just a couple of niggly issues to go that I haven't explored yet, but over the next couple of days I will take a look at the programs I have for MS and when I'm happy - Windows 10 is toast!

I have Windows 10 on one SSD and Mint on another SSD in my desktop PC. So when I get rid of Windows I will have a whole (256GB) SSD to play with other Linux distros!

Today was a good day.

Cheers,

Dan

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: G'day from Australia!

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Dan! A lot of sound problems have been fixed by installing pavucontrol, then running PulseAudio Volume Control and messing with the settings. If that doesn't help, you should probably start a thread just for your sound problems, and include the output of the inxi -Fxz command run in a terminal.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Dan Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to Linux MInt Forums.
Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

Welcome to mint.I am in the same boat as you,but a year further along.I ditched Windows about 14 months ago.I found that the biggest obstacle to using Linux full time was figuring out which programs will do what I want with a minimum of head scratching(already bald).Luckily,trial and error in Linux is free.Or you can ask somebody here.Good luck

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

G'day Dan and welcome.

As you can see, I am in the Hunter Valley too - near Black Creek.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "danny_h69",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Namaste and welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

G'day there Dan,

great that you've made to our forum.

it's a nice part of the country, that you have over there.
:)
it's still quite surprising, just how many folks that are taking an exception,
to the way that win-10 is heading, these days.

or maybe not, as most of us Linux folks, have known about that, for some time.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Erasmus135
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Erasmus135 »

G'day, Dan, and welcome.

Here's something very helpful:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
It's written by forum member Pjotr.

Have fun.

Best,

Erasmus

kaushikgm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaushikgm »

Good day Dan and Eramus135.

I am Kaushik from Saudi Arabia ( originally from India).

Welcome Dan to the linux worlds.

Thanks Eramus135 for beautiful link.
:)

Return to “Introduce yourself”