Greetings!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
lp0rc
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

Post by lp0rc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:50 pm

lp0rc here,

Linux newbie at home, user/programmer at work mostly doing shell scripts, awk, POJO and js extensions of a 3rd party application, and some python. Decided to start using Linux at home to delve deeper into the OS.

Rather than dual booting I have put 18.2 Cinnamon on a 3tb external USB 3 drive that is UEFI bootable. Keeps my Windows clean for work and gaming, and my Linux clean for email and programming projects. I tend to work and play with large volumes of data.

Been working and playing with computers since about 1979. Never went to college, was a Programmer/Analyst in the US Army after becoming enamored with technology in middle school. Started on teletype hooked up to a second generation vacuum tube mainframe coding BASIC and FORTRAN, moved on to MS-DOS, IBM OS and MVS and ZOS, Windows and some distributed processing. Been using SQL since very early on, started with IBM DB2 in 1988 with version 1.1. First exposed to Unix in the early 1990's working with a CASE tool for data modeling and code generation on a Sparc machine, been exposed on and off again over the years with Telecom switches and client apps, and in writing a lot of ANSI C code to be portable.

At work I am a senior peon, but have spent my career largely on the application side of things denied access to the system administration stuff, but still needing to know enough of it to make good choices.

I'm also kind of lazy, and just getting around to playing with Unix more only because I am using it more at work these days, and in my personal side of things because I have gotten frustrated with the Windows 10 email client and used that as an excuse to install Mint and Evolution :)

So that's me, a not quite stereotypical tech guy, one of the last self taught people who laughs when kids think they have something new when all they have learned is my best practices with syntax sugar to make it easier ;) I am language, platform, and methodology agnostic, all are just tools.

Looking forward to having some hobbyist fun with Mint, and will of course be using the forums as a resource. When documentation is hard to find or misleading, learning from other's struggles is helpful, and it can be cathartic to share your own journey.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Greetings!

Post by phd21 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 am

Hi "lp0rc",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 am

Welcome aboard, lp0rc!
lp0rc wrote:Never went to college
Some of the best tech people I know never went to college. Myself included.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:03 am

Welcome aboard!
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 am

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 am

Hello lp0rc Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 am

Welcome!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Return to “Introduce yourself”