Hello World

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
salvor_hardin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello World

Post by salvor_hardin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a long time GNU/Linux user, a long time Slackware user to be precise. I don't mean to brag or anything, it's just a fact: i've been sitting comfortably in my Slackware powerd corner of the world for ...ahem... too many years now and, I love it. Even knowing how aggravating it can be at times.

I've tried many distros over the years, but i've always found my way back to the Slack... but, I also like to learn new things and i've been keeping an eye on Mint for a while now. I got it running in a couple VM and even installed it on a friend's laptop. It's a nice distro, perfect for a beginner and has the potential to be great even for an all-knowing smartass like myself :mrgreen: .

Still, there are a few things that keep me from adoptiong it as my main OS, but that's part of the reason why I'm here: to learn how much of said things are due to a lack of knowledge on my part, and how much to the different approach "modern" linux distros are taking. So expect many (stupid) questions from me in the months to come as I try and port my comfy "slackware experience" into Mint, trying to set it up "my" way.

Please, bear with me and my broken english, and help me further understand this distros. Who knows, you may even convince me to leave the Way of the Slack behind me...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hello World

Post by phd21 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:10 am

Hi "salvor_hardin",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 am

Hello salvor_hardin Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 am

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

your English is fine.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Welcome aboard, salvor_hardin!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

salvor_hardin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by salvor_hardin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you all.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Welcome!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Return to “Introduce yourself”