An old dog trying to learn a new trick - recommendation for written training?

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
hyearwood54
Level 1
Level 1

An old dog trying to learn a new trick - recommendation for written training?

Post by hyearwood54 »

Morning!

I played around briefly with Linux years ago but gave up because I only had one box and trying to run Linux from a live CD was so slow. I recently became interested again and installed Linux Mint 18.2 as the only OS on my laptop in preparation to building a new desktop machine that will use some Linux distro.

I am currently trying to get comfortable with the command line with mixed results.

Any recommendations for a good hard copy manual?
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: An old dog trying to learn a new trick - recommendation for written training?

Post by jimallyn »

The Linux Command Line is good. You can buy a paper copy, or download the PDF file for free. But you don't need to know the command line to use Linux. For most people, all you have to do is click the Menu button in the lower left corner of the screen, click the application you want to run, and away you go. The command line can be very useful, but you probably don't really need to learn it.

http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
timapple
Level 1
Level 1

Re: An old dog trying to learn a new trick - recommendation for written training?

Post by timapple »

You may enjoy this, http://www.bash.academy/

Cheers!
Cheers!
Tim
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello hyearwood54 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Welcome to the forums!
Mint 19.1 MATE x64
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "hyearwood54",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Introduce yourself”