Senur Citizen New To Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Custodian613
Level 1
Level 1

Senur Citizen New To Mint

Post by Custodian613 »

I am a 75 year old senior citizen who had dabbled somewhat with Linux (most unsuccessfully) since about 1996. Recently I saw something about Linux Mint and decided to look into it. I have an old ailing computer and Linux Mint on a USB stick fits in perfectly since I can use it for most things that I can do on Windows 7, except flash and possibly a few other things.

I use Linux Mint 18.2 on one of my USB drives without persistence. I'll get to using one with persistence when I get around to better understanding that and Mint itself. So far I am very pleased with the results I've encountered and Mint is easy to use.

The only other Linux distro I've ever used with success is Tails and I use it when I need more privacy. I have the current version of Tails on a DVD.

I am military retired and served 24 years in the Navy - 23 of those years were spent with the US Marines. I retired as a Hospital Corpsman Chief (Medic - E7)

My hobbies and interests are: gardening on my apartment patio, science fiction books, movies, TV programs since age 9, classical music (have degree), cats, animal welfare, and chatting on a group that I've been on since April 2004.

On 9/12/2004 I had a CVA (stroke) and while it (as strokes go) somewhat mild I did have lasting damage. I walk with a cane, have balance/vertigo problems, migraine headaches, memory issues. Additionally I have cataracts, osteoarthritis which is severe in my right knee and minimal in my left one. Sooner or later I will need a knee replacement. I hve several other medical issues.

I am pleased to be a part of the Linux Mint forums and to learning more about my newly found O/S!

Custodian613
HMC/USN/RET

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Senur Citizen New To Mint

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Custodian613 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
I am military retired and served 24 years in the Navy - 23 of those years were spent with the US Marines. I retired as a Hospital Corpsman Chief (Medic - E7)
Thank you for your service :wink:
ImageImage

revian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revian »

Custodian613 wrote:I am a 75 year old senior citizen who had dabbled somewhat with Linux (most unsuccessfully) since about 1996. Recently I saw something about Linux Mint and decided to look into it. I have an old ailing computer and Linux Mint on a USB stick fits in perfectly since I can use it for most things that I can do on Windows 7, except flash and possibly a few other things.

I use Linux Mint 18.2 on one of my USB drives without persistence. I'll get to using one with persistence when I get around to better understanding that and Mint itself. So far I am very pleased with the results I've encountered and Mint is easy to use.

The only other Linux distro I've ever used with success is Tails and I use it when I need more privacy. I have the current version of Tails on a DVD.

My hobbies and interests are: gardening on my apartment patio, science fiction books, movies, TV programs since age 9, classical music (have degree), cats, animal welfare, and chatting on a group that I've been on since April 2004.

On 9/12/2004 I had a CVA (stroke) and while it (as strokes go) somewhat mild I did have lasting damage. I walk with a cane, have balance/vertigo problems, migraine headaches, memory issues. Additionally I have cataracts, osteoarthritis which is severe in my right knee and minimal in my left one. Sooner or later I will need a knee replacement. I hve several other medical issues.

I am pleased to be a part of the Linux Mint forums and to learning more about my newly found O/S!

Custodian613
HMC/USN/RET
Welcome to the Linux Mint community, fellow veteran.

Wowsers, it's a small world! I also served in the US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman (HM-8404). I attended boot camp at RTC Great Lakes, HM school (A school) at NTC Great Lakes and then on to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune for Field Medical Service School.

Linux Mint is awesome! I have been using Linux as my sole operating system since 2001 (started with debian GNU/Linux) and have beenn using Linux Mint for a couple years. You're going to love Mint! :D

Thank you for your service!
Operating within normal parameters

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome Custodian613. Another Vet 73, Naval air, CAC, Twiget. Full switch a year ago last March. Just tired of dealing with hackers walking all over my Windex computers and continuous popups (up to 300 per page) and mantatory updates by hackers and Windex.

Custodian613
Level 1
Level 1

Re:Senior Citizen New To Mint

Post by Custodian613 »

I was 8404-8472 ! I also participated in a program for an accelerated class to become an EMT instructor. The Navy conducted the class and it was held in Arizona. No NEC was given for it and the program was discontinued after several years. Additionally, there was to be an advance course but it never materialized.

In the 24 years I served I saw many changes made in both the Navy and USMC. I would not have any idea what they are like now since I've been out 25 years. When overseas I was on several troop carriers: LST, LPH, LSD, I was on 2 different LST ships: Peoria & Schenectady. Also I was on 2 different LPH ships: Tripoli & Guam. I was on the Guam while in CONUS tho ! All ships are now decommissioned or at Davy Jones Locker! I was in the Philippines on and off for 2 years. I never went to 'Nam! or Desert Storm!

In civilian life after retirement I once again became a photographer and continued with that until about 2012 or so. I was a photographer before I was in the Navy and began at age 15. Then in the Navy got my NEC 8472, Medical Photographer. Now I work at the apartment complex as their "Laundry Room Custodian" and have lived there now 21 years, since 12/23/95.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Custodian613!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Custodian613
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Custodian613 »

I cannot remember the name of the LSD ship I was on but I do remember that I was on an LKA, the Durham, LKA-114. I believe I was on the LSD ship only a short period of time and that might have been the ship I was on when I went from the Philippines to Okinawa about the time I was about to rotate back to CONUS at the end of my 1st enlistment. I re-enlisted on my return to the United States. Time does not help the human mind - - neither do strokes! :-( My favorite ship was the Tripoli, LPH -10 & her sister ship Guam, LPH-9. When I went aboard the Guam in Norfolk I didn't need directions to go to sick bay (Medical Dept.) since I'd been on the Tripoli at least 10 years before.

dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Welcome to the forums!
Mint 19.1 MATE x64

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

Hello

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
From another Senior ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce yourself”