Just converted from Win10

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Niels_DJ
Level 1
Level 1

Just converted from Win10

Post by Niels_DJ »

Hi everyone here

Just added Mint Cinnamon on my laptop trying it out - next stage is getting rid of windows.
First I need to be sure I will not need windows for something important - then I might need help understanding all my partitions and how to eliminate some of them ...

Niels

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Just converted from Win10

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome Niels_DJ. The migration is surprisingly easy.
Easiest way is to drop in an SSD and use a USB to SATA adapter to look at the old HDD. Things get superfast.

Niels_DJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Niels_DJ »

Thank you

When I am ready to skip Win10 I will ask for help being 112 % sure not delete anything important.
My data are backed up in the cloud and also to an external HDD - all the various partitions should be merged to one or two - then I am fine I guess.

/N

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Niels Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

Niels_DJ wrote:Hi everyone here

Just added Mint Cinnamon on my laptop trying it out - next stage is getting rid of windows.
First I need to be sure I will not need windows for something important - then I might need help understanding all my partitions and how to eliminate some of them ...

Niels
Welcome! What kind of programs do you need? If you can think of something that has you tied to windoze, maybe someone here can suggest a solution running under Mint.
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.6 Kernel 5.4.0-40 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Niels_DJ! Just go through the menu in Windows, and if there is anything you don't know of a Linux equivalent for, ask on the forums. As far as partitions, Linux only needs two: / and swap. Actually, if you have enough RAM, you can do without swap, too. Some people like to make a separate partition for home, but beyond that it's probably a waste of time.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Welcome to the forums!
Mint 19.1 MATE x64

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Niels Great to have you on the Mint Forums,
Just give a shout if you need help. I'm sure you'll enjoy this great group and wonderful OS.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce yourself”