My Experience so far

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
kevin.carbonaro
Level 1
Level 1

My Experience so far

Postby kevin.carbonaro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:28 pm

I just installed Linux Mint very recently on my laptop which supports 2 Hardisks (My Windows 10 is on a new SSD and used my old SATA for Linux).

Had a couple of issues when installing (tried CentOS first) with it crashing and not detecting my WIn 10 for multiboot etc. Then I decided to try another distribution (happened to be Linux Mint). Mint gave me similar issues however the difference was a more descriptive error. I was trying to install Linux in UEFI mode rather than BIOS (Win 10 was installed in BIOS mode).

Once I got that figured out (probably CentOS would have worked if I knew this), Linux Mint installed very smoothly, detecting Win 10 and created proper multi-boot entry. It even installed drivers for my laptop's nVidia GPU :)

The biggest challenge was to find and install applications similar to the ones I was used to on Windows.

Guess what (I was quite surprised)!

Setting up my Angular development environment for programming was easy - great support
    My favorite programming IDE 'Atom' works
    GitKraken is perfect for GIT repositories with a nice interface (on Windows I use SourceTree)
    Skype for Linux exists
    Installed Gimp and set it up to look almost like Photoshop
    I prefer Google Chrome - Installed Chromium Browser and signed in to Google Account to get all my synced bookmarks/history/passwords
    Audacity for audio editing works
    Steam for Linux - not a problem, most of my games support Linux (still have Win 10 for the other 3 games which do not have Linux support)
    Samsung network printer - just downloaded the Linux driver, and works as well.

Last few challenges include Microsoft Office which I would need to use. Yes there is Libre Office, however there are still some incompatibilities and the majority of documents I have are created and edited with Microsoft Office. I will be trying to install it with WINE and see how that goes.

I also have a Qnap NAS, which has 2-way sync setup between my Windows devices. Unfortunately, Qnap do not have Qsync software for Linux which is a shame. In this case I will have to create a network share for Linux, then find a Linux software which can just 2-way sync with it. First I need to find a way to permanently mount a network share.

What surprised me the most is that if Win10 on SSD loads up in 5 seconds, and Linux Mint loads up in 7 seconds on my SATA, this proves quite a lot with regards to performance that Linux Mint wins. I am wondering if I actually install Linux Mint on an SSD - would it load in less than 3 seconds? Just guessing and throwing a number :)

Wish me luck with getting over the last few challenges so that I am completely off Windows!

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Re: My Experience so far

Postby Pjotr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Welcome! Note that you can also install Google Chrome in Linux Mint:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... index.html

It's not in the repo's, so download and install it like you would a Windows installer (clickety-click). It'll add its own repo to your sources lists, so you'll receive regular updates for Chrome.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

JerryF
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JerryF » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Welcome! Great to hear that you're liking Mint and have had a good experience.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Postby WharfRat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello Kevin Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Image ImageImage

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:02 pm

MS Office- check out compatibility on the Wine website before wasting time trying anything. I found it easier to run a Windows Virtual Machine just for Office.

Backups - Unison (and the GUI Unison-GTK for it) are great for 2-way syncing. Only downside is Unison must be installed on the client and the server with the same release on each. See if it's available for QNAP devices.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:14 am

Welcome aboard, kevin.carbonaro!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 am

Just another good deal welcome Kevin, if you're interested in tech or for that matter just interested in better software, then you've stepped foot on the right path. Jmo but gnu/Linux puts proprietary to shame in more ways than I'd care to try and mention. May ( more like will) take some effort on x-endusers part to get up to speed but still not something I could ever see someone regretting. Sheesh it's 2017 and it's not like tech is going anywhere.

catweazel
Level 11
Level 11

Postby catweazel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 am

Welcome aboard!
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Green-cedar-19+52

Postby Green-cedar-19+52 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 am

Kevin,

Welcome! :D

Sounds like you know computers pretty good! I am sure you will be an asset to the forum.

Green Cedar

Return to “Introduce yourself”