Long Live Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Long Live Linux

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I have been using PCs before Win95, before Win3.1, back in the Terminal days. I used to program in Fortran, Cobol, Basic and RPG(?)...haaaaaaaa, it's been quite a while since then, too many bridges crossed & corners turned.
I have found that Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit works for me. I have 4 Dell laptops (Inspiron E1705, Inspiron 1501, Latitude D620, Latitude E6500) 10+ years old, running LM18.2 without any issues. I upgraded the CPU, RAM, HDD, BIOS, CMOS Battery, DC Battery, WiFi Adapters, AC Adapters (90W) etc. on each of these laptops. (The cost of upgrading each of these laptops was far below the price of purchasing new ones).
The CPUs were all upgraded from DuoCore 1.66GHz 32-bit to Duo2Core 2.33GHz 64-bit and/or AMD Athlon 64x2 1.80GHz to AMD Turion 64x2 2.20GHz. They all perform flawlessly on LM 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit using 4GB RAM.
All 4 Linux laptops are running SOPHOS AntiVirus CLI for Linux & GuFW Firewall.
I have a Sony VAIO & another Dell Inspiron laptop (both around 3-5 years old - Intel i5 & i7 CPUs) running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, running COMODO Internet Security Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Malwarebytes Pro, Spybot Anti-Beacon, CyberGhost VPN Pro, etc.
When Windows 7 is no longer supported, these 2 laptops will also be equipped with Linux Mint, and maybe before that time.
Overall, I use the Linux laptops 90% of the time.
I will never purchase another PC (laptop or desktop) running Windows again, as I do not wish to support the Demonic Beast known as Microsoft. As Benjamin Franklin said, "A leopard cannot change his spots". I have had enough of the deceit & deception.
Long Live Linux & the dedicated freedom-fighters who keep this project alive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Long Live Linux

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome Joe2shoe.
No criticism But! What are you doing with an antiviral program on Linux? Especially one that you might be paying for? All of the antiviral or malware programs I have run across are only keystroke monitors that transfer your files to someone else to sell without your permission? The only times I have been attacked on a Linux machine, the machine warned me and I did an immediate shutdown and relayed the ISP of the attacker to the FEDs. It turned out it was another agency. :mrgreen:
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Linux does get virii, as you have experienced. SOPHOS AntiVirus CLI for Linux is free. No file transfer here.
Thanks for the reply.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Joe2Shoe Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Joe2Shoe!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2eb2u0p0j96x ... c.png?dl=0
10 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 running LM18.2 Cinnamon Sonya 64-bit 4.13.0.16-generic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40rh1h34dxd11 ... c.png?dl=0
10 year old Dell Latitude D620 running LM18.2 Cinnamon Sonya 64-bit 4.11.0-14-generic.
All is good.
Last edited by Joe2Shoe on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi Joe2Shoe,
It is good to meet exuberant Linux users so welcome to a great forum where you can learn much by just participating.
Don't be shy of terminal usage--just respect the awesome power it yields and ask questions beforehand.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Hi Joe2Shoe and welcome.

Been using SOPHOS AntiVirus free for years now. Had two malware hits over the years.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Thanks everyone, for the welcomes.
Yep, Linux has come a long, long way, and with so many Linux OS Distros, the choice is sometimes overwhelming to newbies. But, Linux Mint is by far the most user-friendly with all the features I like. It does everything that Windows does, even more, and even better.
Have a good one.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”