Hello all

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluejay_32
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

Post by bluejay_32 »

Hello, everyone.

I've been using Windows since the mid '90s. I had 3.11 on my first computer and I quite liked it. My second computer had 95, which I disliked, but got used to. My third computer had XP, which I didn't like at first, but it grew on me. I got my last computer (before the current one) right after Vista came out - it was a bit unwieldy, but I managed OK. Around the time 8 came out I upgraded that one to 7 - it was free, a friend of mine had an upgrade DVD and commercial product key - and I loved 7. So much easier to deal with than all the other versions I had used before. But that computer started showing its age and I researched other options. Went to Best Buy looking at new desktops and they only had 8. Claimed they couldn't sell anything with 7. Played around with that on their demonstrator models for long enough to know how easy it was to despise.

So instead of that I put a slave hard drive in my existing computer and moved stuff to that. Freed up 50 or 60 GB. But I couldn't get a lot of things to work on that drive, and I didn't know how to move the C: drive to the new hard drive where it would have all the room it could ever desire, so the original drive kept filling up.

Fast forward a couple years to this year and it's almost full. I had been putting off the Windows 10 upgrade (downgrade) for years and finally told them to stick it. So I go back to Best Buy and look at my options. I find out that I CAN get them to order a PC with Windows 7 on it, but 7 will only be supported until 2020. :( So barely over two more years. I bite the bullet and order a Windows 10 Computer. :roll: Got it discounted new open box through their website for a couple hundred less than I was looking at in store.

It arrived on my birthday and I quickly found that Windows 10 is every bit as hateable as I expected and then some, and then some more, and then a lot more, and then even more still. :x So early in October I started looking into alternatives. I tried a version of Ubuntu and it was unpleasing. Then I tried Linux Mint for a couple days and liked it. I was clued in about Virtualisation on another forum that I would be able to run Windows 7 inside of Linux to run my Windows games and my Ford manuals while having Linux for the internet and the other stuff I do on the computer.

I formatted the drive and installed Linux, and I've been quite happy with it, but I've still got to get Virtualbox working properly and get my printer working - among other things I've got to figure out; it's taken some getting used to and I've been procrastinating.

A little background about me.

I'm Canadian, but I'm stuck in Western New York. I'm an active member of crownvic.net so I'm familiar with forums. I'm an auto mechanic, but I may get a job with the State of New York, hopefully soon. My main preoccupations are my cat, the Toronto Blue Jays and my Grand Marquis. Oh, and chicken. Gotta have chicken. Lots and lots of chicken. :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Hello all

Post by WharfRat »

Hello bluejay_32 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bluejay_32",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, bluejay_32! Post about your VirtualBox and printer problems in the appropriate forums section, and somebody will almost certainly be able to help you.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Green-cedar-19+52

Post by Green-cedar-19+52 »

Welcome!
Last edited by Green-cedar-19+52 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
minitux

Post by minitux »

Hello !
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello bluejay_32 and Welcome to the Linux mint Forums :)
Great to have you aboard.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome bluejay_32,

I feel sympatico with you. Same history here with Windows. You're not missing anything with Windows 10, except updates that take forever.

I run Virtualbox on Mint for my Windows 10 which I need for TurboTax. It's great, so when you start to set up your virtualization, there are plenty of members who can guide you.

Again, welcome!
bluejay_32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluejay_32 »

Thanks everyone!

Green-cedar-19+52 - I've never been to Parishvile, it's up the other end of the state. I'm in the Buffalo suburbs.

JerryF - Does TurboTax not work in Mint? I want to use Virtualbox for 7 and maybe XP or something older, but not 10. I thought I'd be able to do it in Linux.

Thanks again everyone, hopefully someday I'll be able to help others on this forum like I do on crownvic.net.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bluejay_32 wrote:...
JerryF - Does TurboTax not work in Mint? I want to use Virtualbox for 7 and maybe XP or something older, but not 10. I thought I'd be able to do it in Linux.
TurboTax doesn't work directly in Mint because it's a Windows program. Not sure if you've heard of a Linux program called Wine that can run SOME Windows programs right from Linux. Unfortunately, Wine won't run TurboTax.

As for the Virtualbox, yes you can run any version of Windows that you want, but TurboTax will probably not run with XP---you should be ok with Windows 7.

Edit: I just checked TurboTax's website. You'll be ok with Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1).
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hi Bluejay,

Or if a local install of Turbotax on Linux/Wine proves to be tricky maybe consider using the online version? Found a general comparison between the two approaches here: https://www.thebalance.com/tax-software ... ed-1293747
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mick-Cork wrote:Hi Bluejay,

Or if a local install of Turbotax on Linux/Wine proves to be tricky maybe consider using the online version? Found a general comparison between the two approaches here: https://www.thebalance.com/tax-software ... ed-1293747
Forgot about that.

I assumed that bluejay_32 needed the installed version.

Thanks Mick-Cork.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”