Hi All

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wizzybang

Hi All

Post by wizzybang »

Hey,

I've just come from windows to mint. My first foray into any linux distro. I've always been a bit of a computer geek and I'm loving this so far.

My only laptop due to losing my job (had to give work one back) is a very old Lenovo R500 with 3gb RAM and a P8700. It had Vista basic on and as you can imagine wasn't great but just did the job. All of a sudden it decided to fail and didn't have any media to re-install so decided to venture down the Mint route, and I'm so glad I did, I'm very impressed so far and the machine runs so much better. And with being a geek it's just awesome learning all these new things lol!!

Who knows maybe this 9 year old machine has got another 10 years left in her yet with Mint haha.

Cheers

Sam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hi All

Post by all41 »

Welcome wizzybang,
Good to have you aboard.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, wizzybang!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome. Glad you didn't have the the media reinstall Vista because that's no longer supported (April 11, 2017). Very glad you are liking Mint. There are so many members here who can help and give advice.
wizzybang wrote:...
Who knows maybe this 9 year old machine has got another 10 years left in her yet with Mint haha.
You never know! :D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "wizzybang",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello wizzybang Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
wizzybang

Post by wizzybang »

JerryF wrote:Welcome. Glad you didn't have the the media reinstall Vista because that's no longer supported (April 11, 2017).
Luckily I'd only been using the machine a few weeks when Vista died so my exposure to the risk was pretty small in terms of time but it was a complete pain. Errors and warnings all over the place, it was making me a bit nervous to say the least but obviously didn't do anything sensitive on it like banking etc.

So glad Vista died now :-)

And thanks for all of the welcome messages people.
minitux

Post by minitux »

Hello!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”