Leap of Faith

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ramjam
Level 1
Level 1

Leap of Faith

Post by ramjam »

Hi all, I made the leap of faith when using Gpart to format my drive to install LM18.2, after coming off W10. I took a moment to pull the trigger double checking backups etc.
After running a few different desktop versions of Mint in VM Virtual Box, I come back to Cinnamon. KDE was really cool, but wanted to be less loaded. This was something I wanted to do five years ago, but wasn't ready to commit, as W10 upgrade offer distracted me.

Best part is over the last couple of days of having it running, resolving some hardware issues and a couple of software ones, downloaded software, it runs like a dream.
Coming off W10 I had been running for over a year, finding every major update was loading more bloatware I will never use, and I had Spybot Beacon blocking the MS privacy issues. I had issues also to resolve in W10 over this time, and it would break with the updates, then fix again.

Linux Mint is what I expected from all reports, it is user friendly and I was already using FF and TB and some other tools already, so i backed up and transfered my profiles.
Have to really to get to know the syntax for terminal, and I need to get more familiar with this. Reminds me of the days when I started with my first computer 386, running Windows 3.1 and DOS 5.2, if I squint at Linux Mint I can see some similarities (LOL) as I have forgotten a lot of DOS, but all the same in function here. Gpart helped me out again in resizing the partitions after I was now running, as I stuffed it up a little, and I had not enough room in the partitioned Home. Just drag and apply, simple as.

Mostly, a world of help and detail out there helped me get this far including googling and youtube, and a lot of it coming from this forum. I aim to stick with Linux and dont really feel the need to go back to Windows (except work environments).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Leap of Faith

Post by kc1di »

Hello ramjam and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Good to have you here :)
The learning curve is a bit steep at first but the vista is great as you climb it :)

This command line tutorial may be of help : https://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/
Enjoy !
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, ramjam!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello ramjam Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”