well done to the Mint community

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

well done to the Mint community

Post by tenzan »

Hello everyone,
After putting up with Windows XP for years after support from MS ended, and support falling all the time, I decided to try Linux which I hesitated for a while. Then I was told about Mint and found it was what I needed, as it made everything easy for someone used to Windows. Although a long time ago I used to be a hobbyist, my knowledge decayed or simply became out of date so I needed all the help I could get. The people who created Mint even added many Windows visual effects, though sadly I have to turn them off for my Core 2 Duo Dimension E520 (hand me down from workplace, probably ordered in 2009). What's more Mint can address all 4GB of my RAM compared to 3GB of main memory (plus a little for the onboard video) that XP can use. For free software, this is impressive and I'd like to give many thanks to everyone who contributed to Mint and also those of you who answered my questions in the Newbie support forum.
I'm going to start another project to fully use the power of Mint, and upgrade my RAM to 8GB which is the maximum that I can use. I just completed the slightly dangerous task of updating the BIOS in preparation (Dell officially only rated the maximum for the E520 at 4GB, as the earlier versions used a Pentium, but the later Core 2 Duo versions are able to use 8GB). I will be able to use my old PC for several more years, thanks to Mint.

Well done,
Tenzan (Seb)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: well done to the Mint community

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the community and happy Minting!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello tenzan Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome, and good luck with your project!
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tenzan »

I think the best part is how much work you've done to make it easy for users with limited technical knowledge. The plug and play implementation is good (especially considering unix-like operating systems didn't have this kind of function as a priority) and it detected all of my hardware right away with zero work needed. My equipment is nearly 10 years old so at least there was plenty of time to port drivers! Hopefully all that's needed to finish the project is buying more RAM and adding it, if there's no complications from here on...

Tenzan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, tenzan!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
tenzan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tenzan »

A few weeks later and I completed my RAM upgrade, going all to plan. Now I don't get anymore lag from stuff from memory going back and forth to swap file. I won't necessarily say that I'd never use Windows again. But I'd certainly never pay to use Windows again, ever.

Tenzan
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yay :!:
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

tenzan wrote:A few weeks later and I completed my RAM upgrade, going all to plan. Now I don't get anymore lag from stuff from memory going back and forth to swap file. I won't necessarily say that I'd never use Windows again. But I'd certainly never pay to use Windows again, ever.

Tenzan
You consider adding replacing the HDD in your system with an SSD, as you will get even better performance and increase the useful life as well.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”