I decide use Linux and gimp [SOLVED]

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KalEl

I decide use Linux and gimp [SOLVED]

Post by KalEl »

I bought a new computer last month ...

I used my WIN7Home key and I was able to activate the version of WIN.10HOME

I found out that my computer only supports WIN.Win10_1607 (Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1") and up ...

I use Windows not because I like it, but because I
use:

SOME PROGRAMS FOR IMAGE EDIT WHO IS similar as Gimp

Unfortunately this new machine only accepts these versions of these programs and the Windows version
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 14393 (1607 / RS1)
and future ...

I do not know wich versions of linux to use in machine ....
I do not know how to configure Gimp like Photoshop...

My configuration is:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 (Kaby Lake-S, S0)
3500 MHz (35.00x100.0) @ 3500 MHz (35.00x100.0)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HG4
Chipset: Intel H110 (Skylake PCH-H)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1066 MHz, 14-14-14-35
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Kingston KHX2133C14 / 8G
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Kingston KHX2133C14 / 8G
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (GP108-300) []
NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, 2048 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ST1000DM010-2EP102, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb / s @ 6Gb / s
Drive: WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0, 1953.5 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb / s @ 6Gb / s
Sound: Intel Skylake PCH-H - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: NVIDIA GP108 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168 / 8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 14393 (1607 / RS1)

All other programs I use alternatives such as:

7-Zip 17.01 beta (x64)
AIMP AIMP DevTeam
Avidemux 2.7 - 64 bits
Google Chrome
HashTab 6.0.0.34
LibreOffice 5.4.3.2 The Document Foundation
NFOPad 1.73
Mozilla Firefox 57.0.2 (x64 en-US)
VLC media player VideoLAN
PotPlayer-64 bit
Freac project
Hand.Break
Filelist Creator
Pazera Free MP4 Video Converter

I tried to use the Gimp but I can not understand how to use ...

I suffer from schizophrenia my life is a hell

My friend is hard to learn somethig new

I use the graphics programs not to make money but a treatment I developed with art

I am very good at what I do my jobs are really excellent with bad stock of poor quality.

No one wants to use ... this kind of stock...

The stock photos are from people of the DA who are not proud to have certain photos in their profile and authorize me to use only that with these amateur stock photos

They are not proud to have these photos and let me use it for free for my treatment.

I am desperate because I can not know how to use linux or gimp help me please

I can not support use more windows 10

I can send one of my last work for all to see

I never made money with my work, it's just a therapy...

I can not stand to use Windows anymore it's a painful hell ..........

Example2017.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help Me To use Linux Please help me

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
I hope you get well soon. Dis you see
https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

deepakdeshp wrote:Hello,
I hope you get well soon. Dis you see
https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Thank you I will try to learn everything again but I ask you how and how I will be able to know if the Linux Mint will work on my machine ?
I'm old 39 years and the disease has advanced which tutorial I should follow and which version of Linux Mint should I use for ...
Will this latest version work on my machine??

I need some antivirus ?
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

First you need to learn how to get help: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
I would suggest especially to pay attention at point 4.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Download 64 bit Mint Cinnamon 18.3 and install. It is quite friendly
Install process https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.tecm ... guide/amp/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

KalEl

Post by KalEl »

silfox2000 wrote:First you need to learn how to get help: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
I would suggest especially to pay attention at point 4.
I am sorry I am already fix it
ArtGirl

Re: I decide use Linux and gimp

Post by ArtGirl »

KalEl wrote: I use Windows not because I like it, but because I
use:

My configuration is: [intel, 16ram, good graphics card]

I use the graphics programs not to make money but a treatment I developed with art
Hi KalEl
I myself am doing my own art therapy for various medical conditions, and only came over to Linux in May. Keep things as simple as possible, eg keep a document to note down things you learn about Linux, so you can easily refer to it.
Regarding graphics, I cannot recommend Gimp, as it is very complex. What would be easier is to use Krita: https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/ (scroll to the bottom and download the 64-bit appimage, then all you need to do is rightclick on that, Permissions, put everything to 'read and write', and tick the box for 'Allow executing file as program'. Then it's just a double-click to open Krita).
The documentation for Krita can be a bit all over the place, but the forum does respond to questions quickly. If you really want a clear 'manual' on Krita, to spare the searching about, there's this cheap kindle book, which goes through anything needed: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Painti ... ords=krita.
I use Krita to paint, but have seen no end of posts/comments detailing it being used for editing photos, animation, etc. I can't think of any other program, as otherwise it's MyPaint (where you must do any editing outside the program anyway) or Pinta (very basic).
Your hardware is ideal for Krita (which needs decent ram/graphics card), and you could well have a lot of fun with the brushes, and extra brush packs later.
You'll definitely find things a lot better on Linux. Stable system and reliable updates, and privacy, do a lot of good.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

deepakdeshp wrote:Download 64 bit Mint Cinnamon 18.3 and install. It is quite friendly
Install process https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.tecm ... guide/amp/
Thank you very much I'll try and thank you very much from the bottom of my heart
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

ArtGirl wrote:
KalEl wrote: I use Windows not because I like it, but because I
use:

My configuration is: [intel, 16ram, good graphics card]

Hi KalEl
I myself am doing my own art therapy for various medical conditions, and only came over to Linux in May. Keep things as simple as possible, eg keep a document to note down things you learn about Linux, so you can easily refer to it.
Regarding graphics, I cannot recommend Gimp, as it is very complex. What would be easier is to use Krita: https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/ (scroll to the bottom and download the 64-bit appimage, then all you need to do is rightclick on that, Permissions, put everything to 'read and write', and tick the box for 'Allow executing file as program'. Then it's just a double-click to open Krita).
The documentation for Krita can be a bit all over the place, but the forum does respond to questions quickly. If you really want a clear 'manual' on Krita, to spare the searching about, there's this cheap kindle book, which goes through anything needed: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Painti ... ords=krita.
I use Krita to paint, but have seen no end of posts/comments detailing it being used for editing photos, animation, etc. I can't think of any other program, as otherwise it's MyPaint (where you must do any editing outside the program anyway) or Pinta (very basic).
Your hardware is ideal for Krita (which needs decent ram/graphics card), and you could well have a lot of fun with the brushes, and extra brush packs later.
You'll definitely find things a lot better on Linux. Stable system and reliable updates, and privacy, do a lot of good.

Thank you very much I'll try and thank you very much from the bottom of my heart
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

KalEl wrote: Thank you very much I'll try and thank you very much from the bottom of my heart
Thank you, and you're very welcome. :)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Are you trying for dual boot Mint with Windows?
Regards,
Deepak

tomcashen

Post by tomcashen »

KalEl: Your work is beautiful.

You are on the right track and I understand your frustration. Believe me, you may have a diagnosis, but this transition from windows and your underlying reasons are shared by a lot of us. So know that you are not alone. It seems to me you have a clear path to creating a solid environment for your therapy:

1) You have a good strong computer, so Linux Mint 18.3 will give you years of satisfaction
2) The programs you listed are mostly all available (some I'm not familiar with)
3) You are here

You must, however, accept that installing Linux alongside win10, or formatting your hard drive to run Linux only brings challenges. Take a breath. Prepare yourself. You can do this, but you are correct to be wary.

I looked on here, and I looked on youtube. If you decide to take my advice and use Linux Mint, then google "Install Linux Mint on Win 10 Laptop." Or something similarly specific. There is an abundance of videos on this topic.

ON THE OTHER HAND. Along with the suggestion in the previous post, I have to tell you that I have experience with Gimp. I used it with windows also, and it runs on Windows 10. My first frustraion is the weird window scheme. If you open Gimp, the toolbars are separate from the main window (Which turns out to be the smaller window, but which has the menus across the top). I found that off-putting and confusing. If you click the "Window" menu you will see an option for single window mode. Click that and then it looks more like a normal image editing program. Maybe you could try using Gimp under windows before you switch to Linux. Just a thought. Gimp is thorough and highly customizable.

Sorry I can't give you more specific help. Your work is way beyond my skill set, though.

Hang in there.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

Many thanks to everyone, especially ArtGirl
I used Krita on Windows and it worked fine and better than Gimp
I'll download everything and all the information I can to make the transition
I am already collecting as much information as I intend to make the transition as fast as I can
forgive myself for any mistake or disturbance I was desperate
Many thanks to all
I will start and do this even if it is difficult I will try and intend to succeed and make this transition
I thank everyone
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

KalEl wrote:Many thanks to everyone, especially ArtGirl
I used Krita on Windows and it worked fine and better than Gimp
I'll download everything and all the information I can to make the transition
I am already collecting as much information as I intend to make the transition as fast as I can
forgive myself for any mistake or disturbance I was desperate
Many thanks to all
I will start and do this even if it is difficult I will try and intend to succeed and make this transition
I thank everyone
Thank you very much indeed, and that's great that you already have some familiarity with Krita ... definitely a lot easier to use than Gimp. Sounds very good to gather the information clearly first, and well done for being determined. You've done nothing wrong in your communication, and I'm sure with your positive attitude, you'll succeed. :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, KalEl! Your computer is powerful enough to run any version of Linux Mint. My favorite version is Cinnamon, but I also use XFCE on an old laptop I have. I use Gimp a little, but i'm not really an artist, so I only use it for simple things. There are many more programs in Linux you can use for your artwork, and there is even a theme for Gimp that is supposed to make it look and work like Photoshop. Any application you have been using on Windows, you will almost certainly find an equivalent for Linux. You will also find that Linux people are happy to help out others. Just ask in the appropriate forums section, and knowledgeable people will help you. (Sometimes it might take a few days to get an answer though, we are all volunteers here and just do this in our spare time.) Again, welcome to Linux Mint!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Install and take a look at Pinta also. If not something you can use, then easy to unistall from Package Manager, the same way you installed it. It's a very easy graphics program. Also check out the Draw program in Libre Office that is included in the distro already.Sumo Paint is a browser painting program.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello KalEl Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Welcome aboard!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

I am already in Mint
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

KalEl wrote:I am already in Mint
Thats nice to know. Are you running Cinnamon?
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Introduce Yourself”